Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slaughterrt

Bilal Powell 2013 Season Outlook

336 posts in this topic

With Shonne Greene set to be a FA, what are we expecting for Powel? Now obviously, it will be better for Powell if Greene leaves (looks like a strong chance that Greene goes bye bye). If Greene returns then I imagine it will be more of the same for Powell. However if Greene leaves, does Powell get a crack at starting next year? Or do the Jets draft or sign a FA RB?

Powell worth keeping in dynasty league?

I think he is worth holding on to , but I don't think he is anything special. If he was he would have already unseated Greene who is mediocre at best.

He's definitely worth holding onto in a dynasty league. Him being a possible starter is the best-case scenario and the reason you held onto him in the first place. Greene held onto his job so long because Ryan is loyal to his veterans to a fault. That being said, I see Powell's ability as being roughly equal to Green-Ellis, which definitely isn't bad. He strikes me as someone who could be a career overachiever due to determination and hard work. I think patient owners could be rewarded with a decent flex option in a pinch.

My hunch is that they draft someone or sign someone to compete for the starting role. I'm not wow'ed by Powell, and with all the cleaning house for gang green I think the starting RB for the jets probably isn't yet on this team.

I see him as a slightly better Greene who can be a decent receiver out of the backfield but yes, his value will be heavily dependent on what competition for carries he has. I don't know how the Jets could go after a decent FA so that competition will probably be found through the draft.

should be Powell, McKnight and a rookie battling for the job...I think Powell takes it for 2013 anyway and is a nice cheap #3RB.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about Powell. Don't be surprised if Ahmad Bradshaw stays in New York and takes over this job.

He is the #1 and should be.

Bilal getting absolutely no love from RW.

Come on guys, besides the fact it is the JETS I would like to hear your thoughts on Bilal.

I am feeling a strong year for him if Rex dont screw it up.

He is the #1 and should be.

Bilal getting absolutely no love from RW.

Come on guys, besides the fact it is the JETS I would like to hear your thoughts on Bilal.

He's not the #1 and he won't be without a very serious injury to Ivory. He still has value, however, being one very injury prone back away from starting. Also, I wouldn't be too surprised he still gets about 5-10 carries per game with some catches intermixed. Definitely worth taking in handcuff territory.

The Jets reworked their offensive line in the offseason a bit, and they may be better at run blocking this season. Also if they start Geno Smith, that should be a good thing for the offense in general compared to recent years. I think Ivory will start at RB, with Goodson or Powell being the 3rd down back. Powell's prospects are aided by Goodson's legal trouble.

The problem with the Jets running game for fantasy purposes will be that Ivory is injury prone. So Powell will probably be a nice waiver wire addition somewhere in the midseason. Powell might even end up an every down back if Ivory is injured and Goodson is in jail. Powell certainly should be on a fantasy player's radar, but I wouldn't draft him even as a flier if my draft were today.

Also, I question what the coaching staff thinks of Powell since the organization felt the need to trade a much needed draft pick for Chris Ivory.

I wouldn't be all that confident in Bilal Powell making a significant impact, even with Ivory's injury issues.

He's clearly the #2 behind Ivory right now (McKnight is reliably terrible, Goodson isn't even with the team), but it would not surprise me in the least if the much more talented Chad Spann passes him for that role by the end of preseason. Since being signed, Chad Spann has caught the attention of Rex himself, with Rex calling him "that MJD guy". Geno Smith has also stated after the Jets scrimmage the other day that Chad Spann "has really opened some eyes."

Chad Spann is likely to get a lot of run during preseason because the Jets have nothing to lose by giving him touches to see if they have something better than they've trotted out in the past. The fact that Geno Smith is likely to be the starting QB for the Jets if all goes well, is what interests me more in regards to the quote about Spann. Last year, there was something similar said by RGIII in regards to Alfred Morris, when we didn't know which RB was going to win that camp battle.

I'm definitely not saying Chad Spann is Alfred Morris. I'm just saying, when we're reading tea leaves, having the likely starting QB praise you probably has some weight to it.

9 carries for 14 yards close to halftime (idk if he's done or not...nobody else has carried the ball for the Jets). His long run is 11 yards. Putting on my math professor hat, that means that his other 8 carries went for 3 yards total. Is anyone watching this game? Does he look as terrible as his statline does?

took him in a very late round because there are not much left, I hope he's better than what's projected so far...

took him in a very late round because there are not much left, I hope he's better than what's projected so far...

You got a starting back with a next to last pick most likely. He is also there main cog in there wild cat formation at the goal line. The Ivory hype is going to hurt owners who drafted him early.

You got a starting back with a next to last pick most likely. He is also there main cog in there wild cat formation at the goal line. The Ivory hype is going to hurt owners who drafted him early.

please send me some of whatever you are having....the jets don't like this guy if McKnight or spann showed anything and ivory hadn't been dealing with a hammy and goodson had his head on straight from the start I am guessing this guy gets cut....there was a reason the jets went out and got ivory and goodson and it wasn't to be this guys back up...

please send me some of whatever you are having....the jets don't like this guy if McKnight or spann showed anything and ivory hadn't been dealing with a hammy and goodson had his head on straight from the start I am guessing this guy gets cut....there was a reason the jets went out and got ivory and goodson and it wasn't to be this guys back up...

Well he is listed at the top of the depth chart and he did have a fairly productive preseason considering no defense is respecting the pass.

would you drop Andre Brown for him?

Who has more value? Aguy hurt who will miss 4-6 games and then be in a time share on a good offense or one who is healthy and will notlikely see many goal line touches in a very bad offense but is available all year.

Either way we are talking RB5

Guess who is leading the competition out of all those backs?

Powell isn't a very talented player but the coaches absolutely love him. Great work ethic, good team man.

Ivory is the starter. But he is never healthy for a consistent period of time. Powell will get his fair share but the jets are going to be baddddd. I wouldn't put my chips in that offense

The Jets dont like this guy really? http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1418429

Haven't you guys read the latest blurb?

~~~

ESPN New York reports Bilal Powell has been struggling to catch the ball out of the backfield and in pass protection.

Beat writer Rich Cimini is handing the third-down job to Mike Goodson once he returns from his four-game suspension. The Jets need someone to fill the role while he's out. Powell's "had a couple of drops and pass-protection issues." Cimini thinks Gang Green could look to ex-Jet Leon Washington to fill the role if he ends up getting cut by the Patriots. Powell has minimal upside and isn't worth a roster spot in standard 10- and 12-team leagues. Aug 29 - 1:11 PM

Ok well see who starts game day , unless ivory is injured it not ready ivory is the main rb for the jets, Powell being 1st rb is laughable