Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

klove42

Domonic Brown 2013 Outlook

605 posts in this topic

He's been a quiet name on my radar, an end-game pick... someone I can hopefully net for a dollar or so without anyone getting wise to it. Problem is it'll be widely publicized and old news that he is starting come time of my draft at this point/rate...

This does make for an interesting scenario... now both Ruif and Brown can start the year in the majors Or the other guy competing for the job, but it's really a 2-man race for 2 spots. Both players should be motivated to play as hard as they can until Delmon is healthy, should they make the team. This does do something for Ruif's value too.... if anything I mean, it will drive him to play harder as he is going to face demotion (or Brown will, barring some trade that has yet to happen) once Young is activated. But who knows how long that will be... and I don't know his contract details save for the funky weight clause

I fail to grasp the draw with this guy, he's been miserable to date. What am I missing?

He's back to his slower bat speed swing where he Ks alot. This is pretty much his last shot in Philly.

He basically can't play any position in the field either, so he better learn to hit soon.

brown is still only 25 so he can still break out. I'm not saying he will this year but if he is given that starting job while young is still hurt, if he plays well he probably won't give it back

Dom has been great this spring, it seems as if the pressure is off him, he isnt looked to as the "pat the bat or werth replacement". The team has so many question marks Dom has flew under the radar. I really expect him to do big things this year, who knows maybe this is the year we have all been waiting for. In a 12 team mixed league i dont see why he shouldnt be drafted and possibly see some utill or 4/5th OF playing time on a roster. Chase and Ryan are back and that alone is going to help Dom and how he handles this oppertunity.

It's all about playing time.

If, at the time of your draft, reliable reports are out there that he won a full time gig, his minor league track record more than justifies a late draft flier. If I have the cash to spare I might even bid as high as $5 at auction.

If it looks like he's platooning, ignore him.

The fact that Ben Revere - who has a very small sample size of success at the major league level - is considered the only lock to play full time says something about the quality of Dom's competition. It's hard for me to see anyone being guaranteed regular OF starts if they don't produce early and often.

I might be interested but mostly because in my league I can get him for 4 years and his value is at his lowest for auctions.

Classic post-hype sleeper. Definitely one for the gamblers, he's shown nothing so far in his MLB time to indicate he even deserves a roster spot, much less a starting job. But this spring, as they all do, gives rise to new hope, no??

I'm still on the believe it when I see it train.

I don't take spring stats seriously but the ridiculous triple slash he's posting is supported by his 2010 and 2011 minor league seasons . . .tried to do a google news search about whether he passes the "eyeball test" and looks like a real hitter but can't say I found anything of substance

He's shortened his swing considerably. He starts with his hands lower and has a more direct path to the ball. I haven't seen many doubles or HRs lately, however. All singles.

He's shortened his swing considerably. He starts with his hands lower and has a more direct path to the ball. I haven't seen many doubles or HRs lately, however. All singles.

In an interview last week he said he is using a looser grip. He's working with a new batting coach and he just got locked in really quickly this ST.

Phils are having a good ST but Dom Brown is still being called the bright spot by everyone. I'll give him another try, but he's a UTIL2 or OF4 for me.

EDIT: Here is a link to compare all the changes with his swing/stance over the years: http://crashburnalley.com/2013/02/27/the-evolution-of-domonic-brown/

I fail to grasp the draw with this guy, he's been miserable to date. What am I missing?

Enormous potential as a prospect. Sometimes that never translates (Brandon Wood) sometimes that shows up after a few years of looking gone (Alex Gordon).

1 person likes this

Tools finally learning how to play baseball. That's the draw.

Dude hit another homer today off Medlen. He is killing it this spring.

Was watching the game today, supposedly all he did was drop his hands, think he got from Michael Young. I think Brown has really good season, and hopefully on my team :)

Another bomb today

Wow. Best story of the spring so far. I feel like the hype is still low on him especially judging by this page.

Another bomb today

Wow. Best story of the spring so far. I feel like the hype is still low on him especially judging by this page.

Till now, thanks! ;)

Another bomb today

Till now, thanks! ;)

I mean at this point I figured there would be people comparing him to the next Wille Mays. Where are the crazy projections and the insane ceiling comments??

Another bomb today

Till now, thanks! ;)

I mean at this point I figured there would be people comparing him to the next Wille Mays. Where are the crazy projections and the insane ceiling comments??

The less news the better IMO, considering many drafts are yet to happen. Looks to me, many are sleeping on this guy, I think that changes fast! He's what I call a sleeper.

People are probably not commenting much because he's had strong ST before and didn't produce when it mattered. Everyone is in wait-and-see mode.

People are probably not commenting much because he's had strong ST before and didn't produce when it mattered. Everyone is in wait-and-see mode.

This is true, but this time he's change his batting stance by lowering his hands, and since then, all he's done is hit. There's reason to be optimistic IMO.