Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYSportsfan24

Mariano Rivera 2013 Outlook

173 posts in this topic

What projections do we have for the Greatest of All Time? He is coming back from surgery on his knee. Not arm or shoulder injury. Is 35 saves 2.25 era 1.05 whip 60 k's reasonable?

The funny thing is that your numbers, while very reasonable, would describe a poor year by Mariano's career standards. Dude is just remarkable... and most of his best seasons have come in the second half of his long career.

I hate to say it but I think he will re injure his knee, I don't think this final year will be anywhere near what he has put up in his HOF career

Sounds like 2013 will be the Mariano Rivera farewell tour.....one last trek around the American League.

Good for him....if anyone deserves to retire on their own terms, it's him.

12 men have walked on the moon, 11 men have scored against Mariano Rivera in the playoffs.

1 person likes this

This might be the year I end up with Mo. I don't believe he has ever been on my roster since he started his career.

My projections for him are good but a distinct notch below Mariano's standard:

43 IP / 2 W / 30 Sv / 2.92 ERA / 1.14 WHIP / 39 K / 8.03 Ks per 9

Rivera made his final trip to Detroit today. Announcers shared that he hadn't blown a save v. Detroit since 1999. 23 straight. And that was in old Tiger Stadium, before Comerica Park was built. Impressive.

Farewell, Mariano

All I know is as a Yanks fan at the end of this year, it will be a sad time for me as a fan.

The Yanks will be like every other MLB team with some normal RP jogging out to the mound hoping to close a game, and not MO.

2 people like this

All I know is as a Yanks fan at the end of this year, it will be a sad time for me as a fan.

The Yanks will be like every other MLB team with some normal RP jogging out to the mound hoping to close a game, and not MO.

One of the...if not THE Greatest Yankee ever. Total Class Act, best Closer in the history of the game IMO...but I am a jaded Yankees fan.

1 person likes this

One of the...if not THE Greatest Yankee ever. Total Class Act, best Closer in the history of the game IMO...but I am a jaded Yankees fan.

Best closer ever? Yeah, in the short history of the position, I'll agree...he's the best, so far. Greatest Yankee ever? Ummm...one of his own current teammates, along with probably at least 5-10 others who are current HOFers and legends of the game say, "Hello!"

I can't speak about Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle or Joe D because I never saw them play live. But from what I know, those are the only guys I'm putting ahead of Mo, and that includes Jeter.

Mo was THAT good, and that important on those 5 championships. Jeter was great and all, had spectacular moments, but Mo shut down and locked up games.

And the response from most will mention the AZ series in 01'... Dude gave up a broken bat single...

1 person likes this

I can't speak about Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle or Joe D because I never saw them play live. But from what I know, those are the only guys I'm putting ahead of Mo, and that includes Jeter.

Mo was THAT good, and that important on those 5 championships. Jeter was great and all, had spectacular moments, but Mo shut down and locked up games.

And the response from most will mention the AZ series in 01'... Dude gave up a broken bat single...

Agreed...what people seem to forget about Rivera is that he was a two-inning closer so many times. I remember all the talk about Torre misusing him during that run...bringing him into the game in the 8th inning so many times. The NY Press thought he would ruin Rivera....nope, he just mowed 'em down time after time.

BTW...I amend my statement that he's the greatest Yankee..or one of...during my era. Jeter? Man crush on the guy...and Nettles, and Reggie, and Goose, and Guidry, and Munson, and Bernie, etc. My Dad...a huge fan of Mo, but can't put him over Mantle or DiMaggio....refuses. Can't forget that guy Ruth.

1 person likes this

Dude did it with ONE PITCH better than anyone could do it with 2, 3, or 4.

That's the best part of his legend. ONE PITCH. Everyone knew it was coming yet more often than not they could not hit it.

Amazing.

1 person likes this

Is there any chance of Mo deciding not retiring? Especially since it looks like this year is going to be a good one, could he decide he's got another year or more in him or is this definitely it?

Nope, as a die hard yankee fan I can tell you this is in fact his last year no matter what. The Yankees could offer him 30 million for 1 year and he would deny because he personally has decided it is time to call it quits. He is without a shout of a doubt the BEST CLOSER IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME. He is even proving it this year and I GUARANTEE he ends the year with a sub 2 era and sub 1 whip. He is just that GREAT. I will miss him dearly.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, May 21, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Drafted him last year at a premium last year. 17 auction bucks for a closer. Blew out his knee so i figured he owed me a season. Got him at a discount this year 5 bucks. Loving it.

Love Rivera, but this is ludicrous. He was great at what he did...which was get 3 outs in roughly 1/4 of their games.

This is like putting an automatic kicker (Jason Hanson) above a guy that contributes so much more (Calvin Johnson). Closers are the kickers of baseball and that they find themselves on all-time lists by fans, and above Jeter, is laughable.

FTR I think closers and kickers should be compared to others and are HoF worthy. But no comparison with everyday player or SP.

I do think there's something to be said for the intangible aspect of a dominant closer. You hear it all the time from people who actually play the game, how it can make you tighten up knowing you can more or less scratch the ninth inning.

Guy has to be in the conversation of the greatest Yankee ever