Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FantasyFiend

Derek Jeter 2013 Outlook

45 posts in this topic

How much will the value of ol' reliable Jeter be affected with the Yankee lineup decimated being with injuries for the early part of the season? SS being a thin position...can we still bank on Jeter being the 200+ hit machine while scoring his 100 runs?

Last year he only stole a career low 9 bases...but with the Yankee sluggers out of the lineup look for Girardi to give the green light a lot this year with the likes of Ichiro & Gardner leading the way. Jeter should be able to bring his SB total back to a respectable 15+ this year

I hate to write this because Jeter's been a classy guy who even Yankee haters have to begrudgingly admit has been great for baseball.

But the cold reality is that he's turning 39 years old this season and coming off a major injury. Those two things put together tend to add up to bad things coming. I don't expect him to last a full season and so don't expect him to get into double digit SB, either. I think he's going to fight injuries and even worse, endure several of those dreaded "day-to-day" stretches.

Being on the cusp of age 40, I don't think I'm being overly bearish to expect him to turn in a career-worst year, in part because it wouldn't surprise me at all if he only plays in 120 games. If anything, I'm amazed at how valuable he was last year at age 38, where he turned back the clock for a season coming off of two straight down years in 2010 and 2011. But Father Time is a merciless mutha and, like the bad guy in any slasher flick, you can outrun him for a bit, but he always wins in the end.

So, sadly, this year for the ADP I'd have to pay for Jeter (150-ish), I'd rather take my shot with an Alexei Ramirez, Josh Rutledge, or Andrelton Simmons, all of whom I can get in the 200s.

I got him for $1 after most SS were already off the board... hoping he can at least come close to last years stats. In my current leagues scoring he was the #3 overall SS last year.

I got him for $1 after most SS were already off the board... hoping he can at least come close to last years stats. In my current leagues scoring he was the #3 overall SS last year.

Tex appears to be out all year. With Jeet's bad foot have him play 1B and find a stopgap SS.

Setback. Will not return by May 1st.

Starting to get to droppable in 10-team leagues? Probably not only because of SS depth, right?

I dropped him in a 12 teamer. It's hard to even gauge how effective he will be when he gets back.

Crack in foot...out until Allstar break per Rotoworld homepage

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, April 20, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

He was dropped in my 14-team Dynasty league. Is he worth a pickup and stash in hopes he plays well when he returns?

Droppable in all formats IMO, if u cant DL him that is.

By the time he's settled in and playing well, could be August.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, April 20, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

He was dropped in my 14-team Dynasty league. Is he worth a pickup and stash in hopes he plays well when he returns?

I'd keep him over a scrub like Happ.

Thought there would be more updates on this page since April, oh well.

Here is some of the latest news that I could find on sportsline....anyone else with additional news? I am thinking of maybe stashing him on my DL for the time being.

Derek Jeter takes BP with Yankees

by Jeff Lippman | CBSSports.com

(06/22/13) Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter was in the Bronx Saturday taking batting practice with the rest of his teammates, the New York Daily News reports. This is considered a positive step for the 39-year-old.

"Everything has been going as good as it can go up to this point," Jeter said. "So now it's just a progression ... Everything is moving in the right direction."

Jeter returned to New York for the BP session in order to "break up" his rehab in Tampa.

"It's tedious. It's difficult. It's not fun," Jeter said. "It's a long process you know, I mean I've been doing this since pretty much November (or) December. So I'm over it now, it's just too long, the process has been too long."

Derek Jeter (ankle) leading off and playing short for Scranton Wilkes-Barre on Saturday.

I would've taken a gamble on Jeter if he came back before Tulo, but Tulo seems to be headed back before Jeter.

That said, I think Jeter's not going to be too valuable for the rest of the season. It usually takes a while to come back from a broken ankle. Off the top of my head, Maggs, S. Sizemore, and S Drew have all struggled in returning from broken ankles.

I've been to every game he's played in Scranton, trying for autographs. (As an aside, finally got one last night).

He looks like he's at only 80% to my eye. His pre game jogging is not at full speed, and he looks just a little bit tentative.

This is not at all surprising given its his ankle. I sprained my ankle once and it wasn't right for over a year. Ankles take awhile to regain confidence in, especially with his setback likely weighing on his mind.

His bat has been cold. The first night he hit 2 lasers- one just foul and one right at a glove, but since then he's been hitting dribblers. He's still 0fer in 3 games here I think. He did leg out 2 grounders to force bang bang plays, as well as go first to third a few times, so it's not like he's one legged but he's definitely not 100%. He hasn't been really tested yet at short defensively either.

I think when his bat rust wears off he should be fine for the Yankees, but I'm just not sure we will see him with full confidence in his ankle this season. Probably means no steals but could still provide runs and average if his bat heats up.

1 person likes this

He has been activated from the DL. He will probably start tomorrow. Thoughts on him this year? I still think he can hit over .300 again, score plenty of runs as well. He wont have many SB but you never know.

He has been activated from the DL. He will probably start tomorrow. Thoughts on him this year? I still think he can hit over .300 again, score plenty of runs as well. He wont have many SB but you never know.

My guess is that he will not run. He will prob hit for a pretty decent average, not .300, maybe .280. Will get on base at a decent clip, lets say .345. He might even hit 3 or 4 homers.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, July 11, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Would Jeter be an upgrade over someone like Andrus? Or pretty equal in value?

Infield single on a first pitch grounder to 3rd, gets a head start on a 3-2 count with 1 out, makes it from 1st to 3rd on a Cano single up the middle, then scores on a Wells sac fly.

Ankle doesn't seem to be a problem. Doesn't exactly have the speed and agility he had when he was 21, but at least he looks like the Jeter we can expect so far.

I still think Jeter will hit .300+ this season with 5+ homers and a lot of runs. If he's available in your league pick him up now.