Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ballfan4141

Trevor Rosenthal 2013 Outlook

68 posts in this topic

there's a very select type of leagues that he's worth using a roster spot in, but i could see him being commonly drafted next year.

he's a good reliever for holds, a handful of wins, lots of K's, and will help your ratios. if several things fall in his favor he could be their 5th starter at some point this year. great $1 middle reliever in keeper leagues

I'm not sure about holds. I'd imagine he will be a long reliever and often work multiple innings in either big wins or losses.

That being said, I'd still take him for $1. He is a great talent and could push his way to the rotation at some point.

Does anyone believe he can take over M. Boggs at closing duties? . I am quite skeptical about Motte returning this year.

Does anyone believe he can take over M. Boggs at closing duties? . I am quite skeptical about Motte returning this year.

No.

Boggs will keep the job. He had 34 holds last season. Matheny is the manager, not La Russa.

No.

Boggs will keep the job. He had 34 holds last season. Matheny is the manager, not La Russa.

If Boggs pitches like he did last year, you are correct. I'm just worried the Boggs from the previous two years shows up because I remember someone breaking him down this spring and apparently he had a lot of luck in terms of BABIP, etc, etc.

Possibly, but there are a lot of moving parts here.

Let's start with Motte. We don't know how injured he really is, but there's usually at least one of these closer injuries that lingers. Remeber Farnsworth last year? You can look at rotoworld's player news and see the comments like "doesn't appear to be a major concern". Turned out he missed half the year. The fact that Motte is hurting is a concern, but not clear how long he'll be out.

The next question is who gets the save opportunities if Motte is out long term? The greater the injury, the more likely a team would look for a long-term answer. I'd place Boggs as more of a short-term answer. He's good, but not great. 2012 was his highwater mark. That was partly because he finally was able to finally get lefties out and also partly due to a .245 BABIP.

Rosenthal has talent, but is short on experience. But who Matheny goes to is the question. Managers last year passed over Mark Melancon for Alfredo Aceves and Farnsworth top set-up man, Joel Peralta, was passed up for Rodney. So it's not 100% that its Boggs. Or that Boggs will lock the job down. And both open the crack for Rosenthal, who looks like top flight reliever.

He struck out 25 batters in 22 2/3 innings with St. Louis when he was summoned from Triple-A Memphis after the All-Star break last year. As the Cardinals enter the 2013 season, he's set to pitch the eighth inning most nights while Jason Motte recovers from a strained elbow and Mitchell Boggs fills in at closer. http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview13/story/_/id/9101835/st-louis-cardinals-rising-star-trevor-rosenthal-already-do-all-mound

I had a free spot after the news about Ruggiano came out. So I picked up Rosenthal. 100mph fastball? Sign me up.

The stat that stood out to me the most...

8.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 2 BB and 15 K's in the post season.

Agreed with the above.

I have serious doubts about Motte returning at all this year. And while Boggs will certainly get the opportunity with a rather long leash to start, I have doubts about his ability to handle the job throughout the year. Sure, he can certainly be effective, but I think Rosenthal can be dominant....and the more we see him, the more we're going to be clamoring for him to close.

I'll say what i said in the closer thread last month:

Rosenthal has enough pitches to be a starter. And he wants to be a starter. It has a little bit of similarity of.......Ogando not Chapman.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview13/story/_/id/9101835/st-louis-cardinals-rising-star-trevor-rosenthal-already-do-all-mound

Boggs- Was great last year. I remember this "he can't close" tag being placed on Ryan Madson at one time.

Mujica- 29yo, lights out with Cards last year, good RP track record

Choate/Rzep = LOOGYs

*Giants fan, Rosenthal owner*

Rosenthal made two mop up appearances against Giants because Lynn & Lohse got blown up. As a Giants fan, please keep sending Jaime Garcia & Jake Westbrook out there to start instead of Trevor "Ogando" Rosenthal.

2 people like this

I agree that his future is as a starter. I don't see him doing that this year unless major implosion in STL starting pitchers or significant injuries. I think Kelly was ahead of him on the starter track, not because of talent, just because of age...

1) Would TR be the top fantasy middle reliever in the game?

2) If not, who is his competition?

3) Assuming he stays in the same 8th inning role the entire year, how many innings does he project?

(note: I punted saves/blown saves this year in my roto league so my homework re: RP's is very limited)

I'll ask again any other thoughts on this guy?

You gotta do some research an watch some games man, its Mujicas oppertunity now.

I am in a 10 team league with 3 closers but holding him until I see Mujica run away with the gig.

I've got Mujica and Rosenthal right now. My money's on Rosenthal but I'll let them duke it out for a long term spot on my team.

I like him. Although people have knocked his performance so far this year, he really has not pitched poorly. I tend to believe the fact he "blew" two saves by giving up runs in th 8th is a bit of a victim of small sample size. I'm not convinced he will get chance to close, however. While I agree that he is better than either Mujica or Boggs, neither of those guys are inherently bad pitchers. They are both good, but flawed. I think the reluctance is to not put Rosenthal in the 9th, maybe because he is a rookie. That does not mean he can't get the job. But I'm not sure merit alone will get it for him. Should still post good all around numbers for a reliever and at worst get a ton of holds. His value will depend on what your league values.

I like him. Although people have knocked his performance so far this year, he really has not pitched poorly. I tend to believe the fact he "blew" two saves by giving up runs in th 8th is a bit of a victim of small sample size. I'm not convinced he will get chance to close, however. While I agree that he is better than either Mujica or Boggs, neither of those guys are inherently bad pitchers. They are both good, but flawed. I think the reluctance is to not put Rosenthal in the 9th, maybe because he is a rookie. That does not mean he can't get the job. But I'm not sure merit alone will get it for him. Should still post good all around numbers for a reliever and at worst get a ton of holds. His value will depend on what your league values.

I have both he and Mujica as well. I think Mujica gets the shot initially but Rosenthal is the long term play and the job is his by year end. He might still be considered a rookie but he pitched in some high pressure playoff games last year and was solid during those games. Reminds me a little of Adam Wainwright when he closed games out early on in his career but was eventually moved into his original projected starter role.