Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J.T. Marlin

Shane Vereen 2013 Season Outlook

1,776 posts in this topic

Definitely a guy to target later in drafts. He makes for great bench RB that will have some big weeks (hopefully during one of the bye weeks when you need to use him) and could really produce if Ridley gets injured or starts putting the ball on the ground again.

Could be a PPR stud. At least an every week starter in those formats for deep leaguers.

Nice player here.

Roto inconsistency as he is paired in the backfield with another nice player in Ridley.

Agree with Marlin... great bench RB with tremendous upside should something happen to his running mate.

He's a target for me as RB4 and bye week/injury insurance.

Vereen's impending recovery from injury is one of the main reasons why i'm down on Ridley and doubt he will be able to maintain, much less improve on his stats from last season. The pats have been hyping Vereen for years, so obviously the guy has talent. Could definitely be a sneaky pick and i imagine if you do draft Ridley it would be smart to consider adding Vereen later.

Anyone know what the outlook/situation is for Brandon Bolden, as he also put up #s last yr before getting hurt?

Leon Washington replaced Woodhead. I know Seattle hasn't used him much the past few years, but he's a talented player. He might offset Woodhead's departure to some extent.

I like Vereen but this backfield is insanely crowded and even if it was just Ridley and Vereen you'd still have to deal with Bellicheat's "game planning." For me this is way more frustrating than Shananigans ever were.

Value tanked today. Ridley's took a big hit too....Pats signed Legarrett Blount via trade with Bucs

can't imagine that'll have any effect on Vereen. he and Blount are polar opposites. not to mention Blount sucks. Pats always like having RB depth.

I forsee Bellydick cutting a sleepy Blount during a meeting.

1 person likes this

Blount has absolutely nothing to do with Vereen's value. That's for sure. Probably doesn't have anything to do with Ridley either.

2 people like this

In a way, Blount actually increases Vereen's real value, in that you can get Vereen for much cheaper now, when not much has really changed. People will shy away from drafting him now that Blount is here, but if anything, Blount only affects Ridley's value.

2 people like this

I have a gut feeling that Vereen is going to vault many a team into championship contender status this season. Owners would be wise to target him in the 8-10 round area to get a jump on the competition as an all-important swing-for-the-fences pick that can separate the contenders from the pretenders. Definitely targeting him in my dynasty league for a reasonable price. If successful, I would expect the somewhat small investment to pay huge dividends.

Vereen could be a sneaky PPR play, Woodhead quietly wound up the season #23 RB in that format. With Blount in there, I would think that he becomes the two down back if Ridley goes down, rather than Vereen.

Vereen could be a sneaky PPR play, Woodhead quietly wound up the season #23 RB in that format. With Blount in there, I would think that he becomes the two down back if Ridley goes down, rather than Vereen.

Why? Have you watched Blount play lately? He is terrible.

Let's hold that thought until August or September. I wouldn't be surprised if Blount wasn't even on the roster week 1.

Why? Have you watched Blount play lately? He is terrible.

How can you say that, you haven't even seen him play lately....he only had 8 carries the entire 2nd half of the season. Ohhh wait, he only got 8 carries because he sucks so bad Schiano didn't even trust him to give doug breathers.

I agree with Hokie79, blount might not even make their roster. He was traded for Demps, who got into Bill's doghouse when he voiced he wasn't going to solely focus on football- creating the belief by many that NE might cut him. So the pats gave up essentially nothing to them for a RB that might not have high odds of contributing. NE mgmt would rather take a chance on blount showing them something in the offseasona, but is completely prepared to cut him as he cost them nothing.

>assuming Blount even makes the team

1 person likes this

I hope they wait to cut him until after he gives a mean right hook to Brady's butt chin. Just kidding. Nothing against Brady, I just had to share my humorous vision. Brady chews out Blount for missing an assignment, Blount react with a right, Brady takes a nap on turf, Blount is unemployed, Dana White calls Blount.

Dana White calls Blount.

You might be on to something.

I'm feeling just as high on him for this season as I was at the beginning of last season, when I started the 2012 thread on him:

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=291676

And he proved exactly why at the end of last season.

Obviously Woodhead got used far more frequently than I anticipated in the above thread, but with Woodhead gone, WELKER gone, and Hernandez and Gronk banged up, I definitely forsee Vereen being heavily utilized in the short-passing game. I could actually see him putting up a number of receptions close to Reggie Bush and Darren Sproles this season, based solely on the circumstances / changes that have happened during this offseason to that offense.

I agree Robrain, high ceiling on Vereen. Sounds like he's prepping himself for a major role. Excellent choice of RB2 after Sproles and Bush are off the board.

Do we believe he will have RB #2 value in PPR leagues? His upside sure seems good if he has Woodheads old role ...as I see him being more involved. And with that head coach, who knows. He could take over the starting job at some point.

Do we believe he will have RB #2 value in PPR leagues? His upside sure seems good if he has Woodheads old role ...as I see him being more involved. And with that head coach, who knows. He could take over the starting job at some point.

The exact reason why I'm not touching Ridley.

From CBS Sports:

"There's a lot to be excited about with Vereen. Last year Woodhead ran 76 times and caught 40 passes while Vereen picked up 62 carries and eight catches. If you combine those totals and assume Vereen will get roughly 180 touches over the course of the season then there's optimism he can contribute to Fantasy rosters on a weekly basis. Veteran Leon Washington could swipe some work from him but really the door is open for Vereen to be a key figure for Patriots this season not necessarily as the backup to Stevan Ridley but more as the "passing downs" back (and the Pats tend to pass often). Vereen went with the last pick in Round 7 in our post-draft mock Fantasy draft (84th overall) and should end up being selected in that neighborhood this summer.

(Updated 5/15/13)."

I see big potential for tihs guy especially at his ADP.

I like him. Not sure as my RB2 though. I'm not sure how consistent he'll be as long as Ridley's healthy. I think he's an ideal RB3 though, especially in PPR. Good upside

1 person likes this