Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juice219

Hisashi Iwakuma 2013 Outlook

675 posts in this topic

Didn't see any current threads on this guy. Any thoughts out there? Was the 2nd half last year a fluke? Solid #3?

I've been surprised at him going undrafted in most of my mock drafts. He had a strong run last year and I'd take a flier on him late.

I just grabbed him towards the end of my draft. The M's should be better this year & have a decent pen so he could have some value.

approach with caution, low K rate, injury problems before he came to the MLB....not a bad flier at the end of drafts, just don't invest too much...

I'd take a flier on him. That division is still pitcher friendly as he will be pitching in big parks of Safeco and O.co, and gets to face the Astros. Worth a shot at the end of drafts to see if last year was real.

I drafting him or Ramirez. Right now I'm leaning towards Ramirez just because I think he has more upside and will be the better player, but Iwakuma is safer I guess

He was a big part of my championship run last year and I got him for $1 this year. I have high hopes for him!

Let's give some love to the other, other Asian pitcher tonight. One mistake to Cespedes otherwise he's looked good.

Like the looks of this guy at the back end of the rotation. Sub-3 ERA in about half a season of starts last year, nice home ballpark to pitch in (even with fences in), and an improved offense to support him.

His splitter is filthy. Kind of reminds me of the split John Smoltz threw. This guy is going to be a steal this season. Excellent command and should miss a lot of bats.

I went all in on Iwakuma and have him as my last SP in all leagues. His 2nd half performance last year as a SP was excellent and he has a nasty split and pretty good command. 2 issues with him are a tendency to give up HRs and he doesn't pitch deep into games (usually 6 IP and done)

We'll see about pitching deep into games. He started last year as a reliever, so I'd imagine there was a good amount of caution in overusing him over the second half (looking through his games, he did hit 100 pitches on a couple occasions, but it was almost rare). I think that concern has a good chance of dissipating as we get into this season.

Iwakuma is in my queue as the next SP to be picked up.

Reached a bit to get him this year and was rewarded with a nice first outing. Picked him up last year when he won a spot in the rotation (remembered him from the WBC) and he was a great late-season fill in for me. Two start week for Iwakuma this week is looking pretty money.

Went undrafted in my league. Picked him up a couple of days ago when there was talk Fiers would lose his rotation spot.

He's both RP and SP eligible, too, which is great for roto leagues if you need a boost in categories like W and K.

I have Iwakuma and Maurer. I've always been a firm believer that it is 10x easier to find value at SP than it is in any offensive category. I owned Iwakuma last year and he was great, not going to blow anyone away but very, very solid, and thats all I ask for.

I drafting him or Ramirez. Right now I'm leaning towards Ramirez just because I think he has more upside and will be the better player, but Iwakuma is safer I guess

which Ramirez?

I'm on board. Here's to hoping for a W tomorrow in Chicago.

Benched for tomorrow but hoping I see positive marks in this thread during his start

I can't decide. I own him in two leagues, so I may start him in one just to hedge my bets. Poor strategy, I admit, but I just want some of that sweet action.

Anyone concerned about his blister limiting his off-speed stuff? Or dramatic home/away splits?

Anyone concerned about his blister limiting his off-speed stuff? Or dramatic home/away splits?

I'm concerned about the blister(possible early exit/hasn't been able to work on offspeed stuff in bullpens), and not so much the splits - but with The Cell. I really like Iwakuma for this season but this' one of those days I can see him only go 5IP due to the blister, and at that ballpark a few barreled up balls can lead to 3-4 runs really quick.

I don't think he'll get lit, I just think a ho hum start is likely and in an innings cap league - I'm passing. Hey - hope he has a damn good outing today though.