Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Code of Hammurabi

Vernon Wells 2013 Outlook

104 posts in this topic

Apparently they are. I don't get it.....

I'm not one to usually get mad at trades that my team makes, but this move makes no sense and reeks of desperation to stay relevant.

1 person likes this

This is the dumbest move Cashman has made to date. Totally irrelevant player with no position to play. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

1 person likes this

It doesn't make sense. They spend no money all offseason, but take on 6.5 mil of vernon wells for two years?

Yankee fans have to be irate......Could this be the fall of the empire? Plunging into decades of mismanagement and obscurity? Like the Knicks?

1 person likes this

Yankee fans have to be irate......Could this be the fall of the empire? Plunging into decades of mismanagement and obscurity? Like the Knicks?

I've never seen anything like it. The desperation leaves me speechless. They're trying to sign players with "name recognition", but they're all washed up. It seems like this would only happen in a movie. I'm no longer going to think twice about starting my pitchers against them.

I wonder how many Vernon Wells jerseys they are going to sell? :lol:

Holy hell.

It's been awhile since I've seen a move as bad this. What little is left of his fantasy value is going to go up with some inflated HR numbers.

This is the dumbest move Cashman has made to date. Totally irrelevant player with no position to play. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

This may be the worst trade the Yanks have made since Ken Phelps for Jay Buhner, considering the free agents they won't be able to sign or keep this offseason (at the very least Hughes and maybe Cano). I don't understand why they couldn't have waited until the 2nd week of the season to see how Boesch/Francisco/Mustelier would have done first, it's not like the Angels had other suitors and even if by some chance they did there's always A. Soriano.

If it turns out Cashman wasn't ordered to do this by Hal and Wells turns out to be as bad as we all expect, Cashman should lose his job. I fully expect to see Mustelier or Boesch to be the regular left fielder(s) come the fourth week of the season anyway. Horrible trade.

Holy hell.

It's been awhile since I've seen a move as bad this. What little is left of his fantasy value is going to go up with some inflated HR numbers.

Last time it happened it involved Vernon Wells!

When Cashman broke his leg skydiving, he must've broken his brain too. Hell, it probably happened before that.

With Wells and Overbay, the Yanks can now say they are the first to field an all-AARP-card carrying team.

Gelatin and Tapioca pudding in the dugout instead of Gatorade. Fixodent instead of sunflower seeds.

As a Yankees fan I guess I am just indifferent/numb to the entire situation/season.

Oh word. Vernon Wells 6.5M a season? So we go from an 80 win team this season down to 78 wins while the Angels, Blue Jays, Tigers got stronger? OK see you later.

6.5 million a year for Wells is not that bad. The Angles paying him 29 million to not play for them is worse IMO.

6.5 million a year for Wells is not that bad. The Angles paying him 29 million to not play for them is worse IMO.

Sure, if the Halos had a choice to not pay him at all. In this case, however, the 42M is the sunk cost - the Halos found a way to reduce that to 29M.

When you look at Option A - pay him 42M for 2013-2014, and have him take AB's from Trumbo & Bourjos, or Option B - pay 29M, save 13M for 2013-14, and clear full-time AB's for both guys - it's classic addition by subtraction, and by a pretty wide margin.

As for V-dub, he's actually become relevant in deep leagues as a daily streamer (play at home/vs. LHP) - but yeah, for the Yankees, especially as they've committed the 13M for this year (so as to not inflate their 2014 salary, to which they've actually imposed a self-limited cap), it does reek of PR spin to grab a name. Or they are even less optimistic that Pronk can given them 300-400 PA's, which again goes to the points made earlier by others....

What happens when one of Trumbo, Bourjous, Trout, Hamilton get hurt? Id rather have Wells there for the extra 6.5 million since you are still paying the 29 million anyways. I like the move if the Angels stay healthy all year and they all play close to 160 games each.

So I'm guessing now that he's on the yanks he's getting 60-25-80-.260?

1 person likes this

What happens when one of Trumbo, Bourjous, Trout, Hamilton get hurt? Id rather have Wells there for the extra 6.5 million since you are still paying the 29 million anyways. I like the move if the Angels stay healthy all year and they all play close to 160 games each.

Im pretty confident theres a cheaper option on the roster that can hit .222 with a sub .275 OBP in the instance that one of those players gets hurt. Sure paying $29 million to play for the Yankees is bad, but paying $42 million for that type of player to sit on your bench and steal at bats from worthy players is even worse. The real issue is the contract he was given, its bad either way you slice it, but if you can get out from under it and realize some savings its worth doing. You've gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em, this was a clear fold.

Im pretty confident theres a cheaper option on the roster that can hit .222 with a sub .275 OBP in the instance that one of those players gets hurt. Sure paying $29 million to play for the Yankees is bad, but paying $42 million for that type of player to sit on your bench and steal at bats from worthy players is even worse. The real issue is the contract he was given, its bad either way you slice it, but if you can get out from under it and realize some savings its worth doing. You've gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em, this was a clear fold.

To expand on the point of using the $ elsewhere - if the Halos had done this deal in November (obviously not possible as NYY didn't see any need then), they could have used the 6.5M to keep Haren, or upgrade on Blanton. If Hanson isn't OK - they can afford to take on a more expensive contract in midseason. Before people argue that the $ doesn't matter - the Halos declined Haren's 2013 option and bought him out - saving about 10M - so clearly they see themselves as close to their max #.

As dzemens points out, we all recognize that taking on the original contract was the colossal mistake. Not being married to it (and creating extra payroll flexibility which clearly matters to them) is the proverbial making lemonade out of lemons.

If one of them gets hurt, it's not going to be hard to replace Vdubs "production" from some minor leaguer. Kole Calhoun is likely the 4th OFer now. Younger, better in the field and couldn't possibly hit worse than Vernon did

If there would be a comeback player of the year, Wells would be it. I'll take Wells over Kazmir for that award despite how crap both are...but I picked up Wells so he could entertain me.

1) Kudos to any of you getting these early stats. Better men than I.

2) If this ends up working out, Cashman will end up in the plaques out in LCF.