Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Tuna

Mike Leake 2013 outlook

103 posts in this topic

Looked like Leake was bound for the bullpen - but the Chapman switch to closer has handed him the 5th spot to lose...former high draft pick with potential on a good team - hs failed to put it together but has upside since he is a $1 player or WW pick - whats the projections out there for him as a last starter/bench guy? For some reason I see upside...

He's a steal in razzball leagues but his progress may be arrested if the Reds have any other options.

This guy is one of the worst SP's in MLB. I'd much rather bet on a rookie with no track record than a guy who is hittable, gopher prone and a deficit on K's.

Deep NL only leaguers may consider him but again, it is generally better to gamble on rookies than to go with a known liability.

He's a steal in razzball leagues but his progress may be arrested if the Reds have any other options.

This guy is one of the worst SP's in MLB. I'd much rather bet on a rookie with no track record than a guy who is hittable, gopher prone and a deficit on K's.

Deep NL only leaguers may consider him but again, it is generally better to gamble on rookies than to go with a known liability.

Wow - not a fan huh? Think he was a top 10 pick a few yrs ago...has to have some talent....

Wow - not a fan huh? Think he was a top 10 pick a few yrs ago...has to have some talent....

Yea, not a fan at all.

I agree he probably has some upside that we haven't seen yet but as of yet nothing substantial has materialized. He did skip the minors and has managed to hold onto a starting role so it isn't like he's a complete scrub. Anyway, Leake probably would have probably been bounced if Chapman was ok with being a starter so that points to his place in the organization and rotation as SP5.

He is a must-own in shoplifting leagues.

1 person likes this

Unstartable at home and a made living off the Astros last year. He had 24 IP vs. them and was 3-1 with a 2.92 ERA. Astros are no longer in the division so that will spread out starts vs. teams that will probably knock him around. He has very poor to mediocre stuff. Fly ball pitcher in Great American Band Box is a terrible combination. I'd rather gamble on guys like Cashner late in drafts over Mike "I will take a" Leake (all over your ratios).

His low K potential (6.0 career K/9) and home stadium definitely limit his upside (and agree with Cmilne that I'd much rather gamble on a guy like Cashner with the potential for high Ks and a favorable home stadium).

And let's also not forget about his dingbat t-shirt arrest last season:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/report-mike-leake-paid-for-shirts-was-trying-to-make-exchange?urn=mlb,wp3920

Sticking around with Cueto coming back? Cingrani optioned to the minors....

Next 3 starts @ NYM, vs CHC, @ PIT

Hoping he has better start tomorrow than last time vs PIT, he's been throwing great.

I am. In H2H leagues all my pitchers pitch or they get cut. I'm not losing his only stats for a whole week.

Has been really good this year, can't complain at all. I think he's earned the right to be in that rotation, however, I am very nervous about today. Cingrani was great against the Cubs yesterday but day baseball at Wrigley is making me lean towards a benching today.

I decided against starting him, chance for poor weather meaning maybe some delays, the wrigley factor, etc.

I think it's time to start believing in this guy.

Yeah, I don't see what's so impossible about his development. At 25 years old he was a top pick not all that long ago. People disregard guys like him and Porcello, who spent next to no time in the minors and take their lumps at the MLB level.

I think it's time to start believing in this guy.

Yeah, I don't see what's so impossible about his development. At 25 years old he was a top pick not all that long ago. People disregard guys like him and Porcello, who spent next to no time in the minors and take their lumps at the MLB level.

#8 pick in the draft! I forgot he went that high. Gamer

He's earned some respect from me, I'll run him out there until he shows me otherwise, hopefully he keeps it up