Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gbill2004

Origin of the word "raking"?

10 posts in this topic

Well there's 3 posts that didn't help at all. I will chime in with what I've heard.

When you use an actual rake and rake leaves you're just bringing in tons of leaves with ease. Which is where the gambling term "rake" came from. A rake in a gambling sense is generally used at a poker table where every hand there is a set % that the house takes, then coining the term raking in the money or raking in the dough. Why money is called dough I would love to know.

So I imagine it is the same with hitting. You are bringing in a ton of hits or the hits are just piling up like a pile of leaves.

1 person likes this

Thanks very much FoulLine.

Patrick Bateman, maybe we should just get rid of this entire forum and replace it with Google.

Patrick Bateman, maybe we should just get rid of this entire forum and replace it with Google.

Maybe we should just get rid of Google and replace it with this forum.

2 people like this

touche

Maybe we should just get rid of Google and replace it with this forum.

double touche

Also for the record. I don't know the origin of it that is me (and a few of my friends) best guess as we have talked about this specific topic. Among other sayings and cliches.

:lol: And this thread has outlived it's rather meager usefulness......

What's the ancient Chinese proverb about fish and fishing? BTW, the link I provided did actually have a search that gave the answer....