Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbrekel

Yasiel Puig OF LAD

528 posts in this topic

Don't know much about this guy as I'm sure most people are starting to get info on him as well.

6'3, 210lbs. 21 years old.

hit .336 with 17 hrs and 78 rbis in 2010. Been suspended for disciplinary reasons since as he's been trying to defect for awhile now.

Reports that he will have time to sign before the July 2nd deadline.

Get on him ASAP in keeper leagues and see what exactly we have here, I think he's worth that much of a chance.

Per RW:

Cuban outfielder Yasel Puig has defected from Cuba and is in the process of establishing residency in Mexico.

Puig, 21, made a name for himself on Cuba's Junior National team and is highly regarded in international circles. His value and status is yet to be determined. MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez suggests Puig could receive a contract similar to Jorge Soler's nine-year, $30 million deal with the Cubs. A showcase for major league scouts is scheduled for later this week. Source: MLB.com Jun. 19 - 7:45 am et

He just signed with the Dodgers. He is a raw talent with some power and speed. $40 million deal!

1 person likes this

danngg was hoping the cubs would snag him too

Wow, why do Cubans get all the dough, I really don't get it. I'd much rather sign a whole handful of Dominicans and Venezuelans.

zumayaaa,

They are under a different bidding process but I understand what you are saying.

Also the fact he is 21, so its almost impossible to find a decent dominican that age this close to major league ready.

luol,

I think its pretty hard to say at this point b/c I really don't know how much he's been playing lately and how exactly his skills will translate over here. If all things work out though (huge if), I don't see a reason why he can't be ready to contribute by late next year.

As a Dodgers fan, it's good to see management spend some money on a prospect....but damn...42 million?!!? That seems excessive IMO.

With that type of dough, i want to see the kid up asap!

As a Dodgers fan, it's good to see management spend some money on a prospect....but damn...42 million?!!? That seems excessive IMO.

With that type of dough, i want to see the kid up asap!

I read that he could be up by September and then on the other hand I read that Keith Law doesn't understand why he landed so much coin and Law sounded a bit down on his prospect as a MLB player.

Anybody else think that maybe the Dodgers wanted to get some more ammo for trades? Sign the big free agent who isn't quite ready and then include him in a deal for a Major League piece...just a thought.

Where would he rank on a list of top prospects? Would he be in the top 10 or 20? And how does he rank compared to Cespedes

Where would he rank on a list of top prospects? Would he be in the top 10 or 20? And how does he rank compared to Cespedes

This guy doesn't even sniff the top 100 prospects. There have been various writers who say he's not even a guaranteed top 10 player in an average system. I'm completely baffled by the Dodgers throwing this money away.

This guy doesn't even sniff the top 100 prospects. There have been various writers who say he's not even a guaranteed top 10 player in an average system. I'm completely baffled by the Dodgers throwing this money away.

And yet there are other reports that say he is a legit 5 tool player.

J.J Cooper of Baseball America on Puig

Puig would not come close to the Top 100. I don't think he'd make numerous team's Top 10 lists. Yes he got an insane amount of money (largest first contract signed by a Cuban player), but our Ben Badler couldn't find a scout for another team who would go anywhere close to that kind of coin for Puig. And beyond everything else, it's almost impossible to get a decent read on Puig. He hasn't played in an actual game in a long, long time (over a year), and he didn't run a 60 or face live pitching at his recent workout. So that's a whole lot of money on a big gamble and one that has scouts almost everywhere else completely baffled.

So... basically he could turn out to be the Kei Igawa of position players.

I don't really get all the hype with these international signings. They rarely work out. And teams pay sooooo much more than they do for players that they draft.

Interesting "slide show" here. Although the predictions are "bold", I find his path to the major clear and it looks like he may be up sooner than a lot of people think.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1244062-5-bold-predictions-for-yasel-puigs-los-angeles-dodgers-career

The predictions in that slideshow aren't just bold, they are ridiculous for a player that no one has ever seen. If the kid had been stateside and scouted like Harper and then those predictions were made that'd be one thing. But I doubt the writer has seen Puig play a bit.

Anyone have any video?

That may be the single worst article I've ever read. The author hasn't even seen him play other than the youtube videos we've all seen and yet he's locked up 2013 ROY, is a perennial 30/30 guy and is just about on par with Kemp in 2014. This is terrible even by BR's seemingly nonexistent standards.

Interesting "slide show" here. Although the predictions are "bold", I find his path to the major clear and it looks like he may be up sooner than a lot of people think.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1244062-5-bold-predictions-for-yasel-puigs-los-angeles-dodgers-career

Wow...Bold is an understatement. "As good as or better than Matt Kemp"? So let's just write this guy's ticket to the HOF now, as he's obviously going to win the triple crown every year, average 30/30 every year, and actually beat out Ryan Braun for MVP every year.

As an owner, I hope they are 100% right about him, but I'm definitely tempering my expectations.

Kinda looks like Viciedo in the video. If he can show better plate discipline then he should be a player.

If you had to decide between Puig and Soler who would you take?

Good question. For me, I feel that's kind of like asking, "Do you want the mystery prize behind door #1 or the one behind door #2?"

Before the Dodgers signed Puig, I would have definitely said Soler, only because I hadn't even really heard of Puig, and there was so much hype around Soler. I guess that hype would make me still lean toward Soler, because you could have the name recognition factor if you wanted to deal him for a known commodity. Same goes for if I were to keep one or the other. I haven't heard negatives about Soler, but I am hearing some negatives and unrealistic expectations surrounding Puig.