Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbrekel

Yasiel Puig OF LAD

I actually liked what I saw in theta video of Puig. Seems to let the ball travel deep and shows a willingness to go the other way. He does seem to be out in front a bit.

Haven't seen video of Soler yet to compare the two.

I trust Keith Law and Baseball America's entire staff much more than anything ever put out by BR.

Puig could be good, hell, he could be great. But for Cooper over at BA to flat out say that many in the industry are 'baffled' by the amount of $$ thrown at Puig leads me to believe he could be a complete bust. You never know, but it certainly doesn't feel right. As pointed out earlier, Cooper doesn't think that Puig is anywhere near the top 100 prospects, which would have him out of at minimum, the top 5 in the Dodgers system. If Soler were in the draft, all indications are that he would have gone top 6, putting him just about realistically as the #1 prospect on most teams' list.

Gimme Soler....by a lot.

As was mentioned, Law,Badler and Cooper all felt that Puig wasn't even in the same league as Soler as far as prospect status. Soler is considered to have truly elite tools and athleticism just like Bubba Starling, but a more advanced game.

Well, that didn't take long...

The Dodgers have promoted Cuban outfield prospect Yasel Puig to High-A Rancho Cucamonga.

Puig had been working out with the Dodgers' rookie-league affiliate in Arizona. The 21-year-old signed a record-breaking seven-year, $42 million contract with the Dodgers in late June and should be brought along quickly through the their minor league system. Source: Dylan Hernandez on Twitter Aug. 13 - 12:53 pm et

His stats so far:

30 AB

12 Hits

.400 AVG

.500 OBP

4 HR

11 RBI

1 SB

10 RS

3 3B

6 BB

7 K

Small sample size, to be sure, but pretty impressive...Obviously the Dodgers brass felt the same way.

when both puig and soler signed i used my top waiver priority on puig and i'm happy with that decision. was a close call but what got me leaning towards puig is a more highly regarded eye and better speed then soler, according to scouting reports. turns out soler has shown much better speed then advertised so far - both have looked very good early days.

In my dynasty league, we can only draft players in the rookie drafts after they've either been drafted or signed by a MLB team.

This guy was signed 30 minutes after I went on the clock for my pick, it was awesome. I think that pick will pay off.

I read a recent article from BR that predicted 2013 Starting Line Ups for the NL West on Opening Day, they had this guy projected as next years Opening Day Left Fielder, which to me isnt saying much as they are known for way out of bounds projections.

As for the $40+ Million paid, my guess is its because the Dodgers farm system is pretty depleated right now, I think they have 1 prospect in the top 100 in Lee and its not as if he is projecting out as frontline ace or anything, so right now with the Guber-Magic group, etc they are trying to rebuild the Dodgers through $$. Hanley Ramirez was about $$, the A's offered much better prospects but couldnt take on all the money, Dodgers offered less but gave $$. I think $40 Mil for Puig is kind of the same thing, lets throw money and try to add another prospect.

As for the $40+ Million paid, my guess is its because the Dodgers farm system is pretty depleated right now, I think they have 1 prospect in the top 100 in Lee and its not as if he is projecting out as frontline ace or anything, so right now with the Guber-Magic group, etc they are trying to rebuild the Dodgers through $$. Hanley Ramirez was about $$, the A's offered much better prospects but couldnt take on all the money, Dodgers offered less but gave $$. I think $40 Mil for Puig is kind of the same thing, lets throw money and try to add another prospect.

Seems like a counter-intuitive way to go about prospecting, eh?

Seems like a counter-intuitive way to go about prospecting, eh?

Yeah kind of a quick fix lets throw money at the issue, kinda sad too for a franchise that for so long had one of the crown jewels in terms of a farm system, I believe they have 16 Rookies of the Year since it started in with Jackie Robinson in the late 1940's, but havent had one since the mid 1990's.

So far so good in A ball. Showin' some wheels!

11 AB

4 Hits

4 SB

.417 OBP

I'm sure the Dodgers want this kid up to the show asap. But I'm thinking there's a strong possibility that the dodgers will resign Victorino to a 2-3 year contract. I would love to see Puig get some time at either 1b or 3b right now but i doubt managment wants to try that right now because they know it would give Vic's agent some leverage in negotiations.

I'm sure the Dodgers want this kid up to the show asap. But I'm thinking there's a strong possibility that the dodgers will resign Victorino to a 2-3 year contract. I would love to see Puig get some time at either 1b or 3b right now but i doubt managment wants to try that right now because they know it would give Vic's agent some leverage in negotiations.

I was thinking maybe they let Victorino walk and try to sign Josh Hamilton.

So they spend $42 million on this guy and now have Kemp, Crawford, and Ethier locked up - really good management of assets, did they consult Daniel Snyder on how to build a franchise?

IS this guy locked into being an OF?

Well, Vic pretty much has absolutely no leverage on the Dodgers now, the OF is stacked, and Gonzalez isn't going anywhere...let's get this guy some grounders at 3B!

So they spend $42 million on this guy and now have Kemp, Crawford, and Ethier locked up - really good management of assets, did they consult Daniel Snyder on how to build a franchise?

LOL, i think this is a good "problem" for the dodgers.

Yeah, no kidding. I have no idea what FearTheBeard is going on about.

Yeah, no kidding. I have no idea what FearTheBeard is going on about.

I understand it's a "good problem", but there's no openings for Puig for what - 6 years? A lot of better things you could do with 42 million dollars.

A lot of people gushing about him this spring...he's built like a tank; think cespedes but taller.

Any chance Crawford's health issues coupled with a big spring could land Puig a roster spot to start the season? The Dodgers depth chart lists only Jerry Hairston, Jr., Skip Schumaker, and Alex Castellanos behind their big 3.

Still looking good in Dodgers camp, hitting .452. Keep an eye on him...

"Yasiel Puig remains a long shot to break camp with the Dodgers; however, after the Cuban outfielder had two more hits in Monday's 3-2 loss to the Milwaukee Brewers, Dodgers Manager Don Mattingly pointedly refused to say Puig would start the season in the minor leagues.

"It's not something you're willing to make a decision on at this point, or talk about," Mattingly said. "He's looked really good. There really hasn't been a negative about him."

http://www.latimes.c...0,1872777.story

fyi...john sickels at minorleagueball had puig at #26 in his top 150.

looks like some people are jumping onboard!

fyi...john sickels at minorleagueball had puig at #26 in his top 150.

looks like some people are jumping onboard!

Wow! That's impressive. I hope he lives up to the hype!

Yasiel Puig's hot hitting continued on Friday night, as he went 3-for-3 with a two-run homer, a stolen base and three runs scored in an 8-1 win over the Royals.

Advice: Puig also had a pair of hard-hit singles. The Cuban outfielder is hitting an impressive .459 (17-for-37) during Cactus League action, but he's set to begin the season in the minors. However, don't be surprised if he gets his first cup of coffee by the end of the year.

(Rotoworld.com)

Being compared to Bo Jackson!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgersnow/la-sp-dn-dodgers-yasiel-puig-bo-jackson-20130315,0,2199281.story

He hasn't even played single A ball yet. And there is 0 room for him at the big league level. The best he can hope for this year is perhaps a late August call-up. But even then I could see him spending at least half the year in 2014 in the minors. Let's see how he does against AA pitching, going around the league twice and everyone getting a read on him before comparing him to Bo Jackson. I chatted with an expert last week who said that the buzz around him has more to do with it being a slow sports news time in LA then any eye-opening talent.

He might be great at some point, but he's not close to finding a spot in the bigs.