Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jr11890

AJ Griffin 2013 Outlook

318 posts in this topic

Had him last year and he was great for a while but faltered and got hurt. Anyone with thoughts on Griffin?

Glad someone made this thread. Griffin is hard to predict because he was pretty lucky last year based on his BABIP but possibly unlucky on his HR/FB. But 80 IP at MLB is so small there is nothing to take away really. But his MiLB paints a similar picture to those 80 innings.

I went into the 2012 Griffin thread and searched for one word to see if someone had already stole my thunder. Nope. My comparable is:

Shaun Marcum

K/9 ~ 7

BB/9 ~ 2

FB% ~ 42 (general consensus = FB pitcher)

HR/FB% ~ 10

I'll take that with my $1 SP5.

He is still availible in my league as well. I will pick him up soon once Garza goes on the DL. He won't wow anyone but in that ballpark in that division I have no problem starting him (as long as its not against Angels or Rangers)

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, March 29, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Who would people rather have in their team - Griffin or Maholm as both are available in my league?

He is still availible in my league as well. I will pick him up soon once Garza goes on the DL. He won't wow anyone but in that ballpark in that division I have no problem starting him (as long as its not against Angels or Rangers)

vs SEA (day)

@ LAA (night)

vs HOU (night)

@ TB (day)

vs BAL (night)

vs LAA (day)

* assuming #4 starter and A's don't skip starts because all their SPs are pretty young or injury prone and they'll want to control innings

vs SEA (day)

@ LAA (night)

vs HOU (night)

@ TB (day)

vs BAL (night)

vs LAA (day)

* assuming #4 starter and A's don't skip starts because all their SPs are pretty young or injury prone and they'll want to control innings

I would only bench him for the LAA starts. That's pretty good schedule actually. You have to love SEA and Hou first few starts.

just now remembered that he helped my team last year. The Ks will be there it seems, and yea he's pitching in one of the best parks. What's not to like?

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, March 29, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Drop a guy like Wandy for him?

Some dodos were asking if they should start Ogando vs Stros yesterday, afraid of that game "after a no-no" figuring that HOU wouldn't suck two days in a row. I don't believe in that superstition but I do like when a team loses the first 2 games of a series and you have the SP going on game 3 to prevent the sweep. Just a fantasy superstition of mine. Never bet on the sweep.

Plus no Montero and Kendrys also helps.

They're hitting him pretty hard here in the 6th. A HR by Morse and some hard hit balls that were barely foul. The only inning so far that he has been in some trouble though.

Eh, i'll take the meh QS to start the season. He is going to be one of those SPs where teams start to catch on to his repertoire as the lineup goes around the 3rd time (kinda like my comp of Marcum that i give above).

Eh, i'll take the meh QS to start the season. He is going to be one of those SPs where teams start to catch on to his repertoire as the lineup goes around the 3rd time (kinda like my comp of Marcum that i give above).

agree, thought same last year, his curve is sick but that fb is so meh, was able to ambush some clubs last year but it's going to be tougher this- also his era in day games is a lot worse than night, guess hitters being able to see more than half the baseball isn't helping him- still, as like a sp6 who you play matchup with I like the kid, maybe use him 15 starts and hope he gets some production from Yoenis and Reddick's disgusting beard (he needs to shave that abomination before animal control is called to remove it)

1 person likes this

Angels have been scuffling, and I think he could be decent today. His only start against them was an 8 IP shutout with 6 H, 0 BB, and 6 Ks.

Doubt he gets hammered, but famous last words, right? Hell, I rolled Maurer out there... why not.

Projections anyone?

14 W, 3.50/1.15/ 5k's per start

Projections anyone?

14 W, 3.50/1.15/ 5k's per start

K's per start.

That is probably a more relevant stat to roto leagues without inning caps than K/9 or even K%.

Angels have been scuffling, and I think he could be decent today. His only start against them was an 8 IP shutout with 6 H, 0 BB, and 6 Ks.

Doubt he gets hammered, but famous last words, right? Hell, I rolled Maurer out there... why not.

im usually the kinda guy to throw my pitcher out every single start, except for the obvious really bad ones. I've got a real bad feeling about tonight though. The angels have a lot of power int hat offense. To think, just because the angels are scuffling, they won't go out and drop something like 8 ER on AJ, might be a little foolish though. The team has lost 2 straight at home against rivals, they're gonna be coming out determined tonight.

my advice, if you have an IP limit in your league and need to save some innings, this might be a good game to skip for AJ.