Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Erik Bedard 2013 Outlook

42 posts in this topic

I'm not saying Erik Bedard is a must draft or anything. As he will go undrafted in almost all leagues this year.

But he is one of those high upside pitchers who isn't as old as most may think.

He just turned 34 back on March 6th and is looking to be healthy (which has always been his #1 concern).

He will be in the rotation for The Astros this year, he will start the season as the #5 possibly the #4. So even though he will be an Astro he will be up against #4's and #5's for most of the year, increasing his win potential more than someone would figure for an old Astro pitcher.

Now Bedard did have a disastrious 2012 with The Pirates but again the health wasn't quite there. But look back at his 16 starts with Seattle in 2011. He was pitching very well, top 35 SP well. So maybe he can find his way again with his new team.

His spring has been a small sample but extremely dominate. Over 3 games 1 start he has thorwn:

6 IP 4 H 2 BB 9 K's and 0 ER! Again small sample, but really I don't need a huge sample from a guy with a past like Bedard. If he's healthy and pitching well, I'm going to jump the gun on him.

dude has been eating off of 2 good years in baltimore in 06-07 his entire career. not much to see imo

He's a 34 year old with an arm at least 10 years older. His arm will never hold up for a whole year. It's a shame because I liked him with the O's, but he'll never make it a whole season again.

Even if he finds his form somewhat, I find him so infuriating to watch. Always runs up full counts, nibbling away. A lot of his games you wouldn't trust yourself to use him anyway (vs. ANA, TEX etc).

All the reports I read said Bedard wold be the 5th starter. He came out of the pen today. Maybe because The Stros are a day up on the rest of the season?

Either way Bedard is throwing absolute peas. 7 up 7 down, going out for his 3rd inning and first ever save opportunity. I missed a couple batters but I haven't seen anyone even look comfortable against him.

Yes Bedard is in the pen right now. But they obviously wanted to get a look at him and are giving him an extended outing (for coming out of relief).

I say that and jinxed him as Maxwell bailed Bedard out when David Murphy tagged one into the left center gap.

Then Nelson Cruz flaires one in.

Don't sleep on The Stros baby!!! Haha!!

It appears he is not in Yahoos database at this point. Even Yahoo forgot about him.

2 people like this

It appears he is not in Yahoos database at this point. Even Yahoo forgot about him.

Yikes. Uncool Yahoo.

I heard the broadcast crew say he was getting some work in because he may get skipped a time or two early.

He'd actually be a lot more intriguing as a reliever. He may actually be able to stay active for longer than 2 weeks at a time.

major yahoo fail. guy started 24 games last year.

And yet the retired scott rolen is on roster?

I just hope I can snag him before my leaguemates- he looks rejuvenated.

I added him today. Finally on yahoos rosters.

Anyone feel like taking a risk on this guy? He blanked Texas kicking it old school.

I added him today. Finally on yahoos rosters.

Anyone feel like taking a risk on this guy? He blanked Texas kicking it old school.

He's not the worst option but I don't even think he would make my roster, or many others for that fact.

He is in the starting rotation now and will start tomorrow @SEA. Seems like a great matchup for him.

We could be looking at a top 40 pitcher for free off the waiver wire here.

Vegas has him as a pretty significant underdog to Brandon Maurer tonight. I know that's mainly due to the offense supporting him but while I was excited about him at first, I'm starting to sour on him greatly.

Houston has been linked to Aaron Harang and Chris Capuano. They plan on bumping Bedard from the rotation; their bullpen needs all the help it can get. Normally I'd be all over his early starts prior to his obligatory DL stint but this year I'm just not feeling much excitement. There's a reason Pittsburgh released him.

I'm certainly rooting for him though and his strikeout rate is intriguing but I feel the division he's in won't do him any favours.

In "W" leagues, which I don't play in, I'd only use him in very favorable match ups,( he can not face his own team, so those are few and far between) but in QS leagues, I'm running him out there as long as he's healthy and has a rotation spot.

Intriguing news if true, that he'll be bumped if they sign someone else. Could be an asset as a RP, and with the status of their closer situation,.......hmmm, could they? would they? dare we mention him as a potential closer? might prolong his health and keep him on the field for a longer stretch, but I digress

Intended on dropping him after tonights game, but with a start in Oakland next Monday potential 2 starts, might just hold and see. Only thing that worries me tonight is Sea is hitting the ball out of the gates, and with the fences moved in, might be a tough game, still rolling him, just not as confident as I wish I was..but also have Maurer going, hoping for 2 QS's.

Vegas has him as a pretty significant underdog to Brandon Maurer tonight. I know that's mainly due to the offense supporting him but while I was excited about him at first, I'm starting to sour on him greatly.

Houston has been linked to Aaron Harang and Chris Capuano. They plan on bumping Bedard from the rotation; their bullpen needs all the help it can get. Normally I'd be all over his early starts prior to his obligatory DL stint but this year I'm just not feeling much excitement. There's a reason Pittsburgh released him.

I'm certainly rooting for him though and his strikeout rate is intriguing but I feel the division he's in won't do him any favours.

I have Houston with a sizebly large wager tonight. I also parlayed it with the under of 7.5 so hopefully I can hit that.

I have Houston with a sizebly large wager tonight. I also parlayed it with the under of 7.5 so hopefully I can hit that.

You should parlaying home teams with unders and away teams with overs. Home team/under because if home team is winning, there is one less at bat.Away team/over because if away team is winning, you get the extra at bat. You want these correlations for your parlay.

You should parlaying home teams with unders and away teams with overs. Home team/under because if home team is winning, there is one less at bat.Away team/over because if away team is winning, you get the extra at bat. You want these correlations for your parlay.

No that's a great strategy. I'm well aware of it and do take that to consideration quite often. But tonight I think it's going to be a pitching dual. A guy on the come up Mauer and a guy on the come back Bedard. Both guys I think will be great fantasy assets this year. I am much higher on Bedard though.

low pressure outing tonight staked to a huge early lead. He's doing his job though and he looks healthy. Probably worth a pickup for as long as he's in the rotation

very curious about this guy after his last 2 appearences. How did he look last night? I didnt see the game or highlights

They should of let him go 5 to get the W. Could be one of only 3 he will see all season. And even that is with pitching 160 IP. He won't get more than 3 runs of support in a start the rest of the season. Book it.

Scheduled for a double start @Oak and Cle this next week.

I think I'm going to pick him up to stream.