Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

texasfan04

Jackie Bradley, Jr. OF BOS

I've been watching Jackie Bradley, Jr., the Centerfielder from South Carolina, and have been really impressed. He has great speed, the k/bb ratio (39/32) is really impressive, and he's generating good power numbers. These videos showing his defense are also pretty awesome.

(0:40)

Does anybody on here watch enough South Carolina baseball to have seen him play fairly regularly? I know he's generally projected as a mid-level first rounder in 2011, but what downsides keep him from being considered on the level of players like Purke, Cole, Rendon, etc? It's hard to get much of a gague based on a post-season game and two youtube videos.

don't quote me on it, but I thought I read somewhere on BA, that he could possibly sneak into the top 5 picture for next year's draft.

Prior to Spring Training Bradley's ETA was a Sept call-up late in the year at best. After tearing the cover off the ball and showing uncanny instincts in the OF this April can we be looking forward to an early call up? Are we a Ellsbury injury away or will the likes of Hassan/Kulish etc still be in his path until late in the year?

Bradley has ridiculous "real-player" value but in a fantasy perspective what can we expect his floor/ceiling to be on the MLB level?

Sox fans are clamoring for him to start right away. Not gonna happen. The AAAA of's the Sox have that you have mentioned will certainly get the first looks throughout the year, even if Ellsbury goes down. However, if Ells is traded before the deadline (real possibility), then I think JBJ would get that chance.

As you have said, he's got real baseball value that outweighs his fantasy value, which is still pretty decent. I don't think the power will ever truly develop to more than a 10-15 HR guy, and he's not going to tear up the basepaths either. Still, he has a very high floor due to his very good hit tool and ability to get on base. I'd say at his height, he's a .300 hitter with 15 HRs and 20 SBs. OBP leagues he's an even better target. His defense will keep him in the bigs for a very long time as well.

Possible last round pick in deeper league drafts if he makes the team with Big Papi starting on the DL.

I saw today that they are considering starting Bradley in LF and moving Gomes to DH if Ortiz is going to be out for awhile.

Per Rotoworld:

Red Sox manager John Farrell indicated Sunday that Jackie Bradley is under consideration for an Opening Day roster spot.

Farrell had stated previously that Bradley was destined to start the year in the minors, but David Ortiz's ongoing heels issues has the skipper reconsidering. Bradley could be used as the club's left fielder, with Jonny Gomes sliding into the DH spot. It's probably still a longshot, but the probably becomes higher if the Sox become convinced Ortiz will be out for a while.

Looks like we have a new starting left fielder in Boston. I've picked him up in both leagues. He's been described as a better hitting Carl Crawford. Anybody see this guy play?

Probably belongs in the minor league thread until officially confirmed.

Pretty sure you're jumping the gun a bit. They've not decided anything just yet...

Minor league thread, didn't see that. I guess I'll go there and find Cristian Yelich. lol...I don't think I'm jumping the gun at all, it's all but official.

not gonna start in the majors until at least April 12 imo

with the injuries to ortiz and drew I think this is inaccurate

He needs 9 games in the minors to avoid accruing a full year's service time and becoming a FA after 2019 instead of 2018. The Sox will work it out for 9 games

He needs 9 games in the minors to avoid accruing a full year's service time and becoming a FA after 2019 instead of 2018. The Sox will work it out for 9 games

Huh? 9 days is not going to prevent him from becoming a super 2. Since 2007, the average Super Two has had two years and 148 days of service time. If they wait 9 days (and he stays up for good) he will have 2 years and 163 days. Am I missing something?

For the guy who was wondering why it's 9 games in the main forum: It's not a Super 2 issue, if you accrue more than 172 days on a major league club within a year then that's a year of service time. There are 181 days in an MLB year, so if they wait 9 days he will be less than 172 and controlled by the Sox for another full year (through 2019 instead of 2018). If they called him up now and then sent him down later for 9 days they run the risk of him starting hot and then filing a grievance for getting sent down over service time only. So sometime after April 12 is when he'll probably get called up imo.

For the guy who was wondering why it's 9 games in the main forum: It's not a Super 2 issue, if you accrue more than 172 days on a major league club within a year then that's a year of service time. There are 181 days in an MLB year, so if they wait 9 days he will be less than 172 and controlled by the Sox for another full year (through 2019 instead of 2018). If they called him up now and then sent him down later for 9 days they run the risk of him starting hot and then filing a grievance for getting sent down over service time only. So sometime after April 12 is when he'll probably get called up imo.

Unless they've recently changed the rules, you are incorrect. Super 2 is an always shifting number of games because it's based on an average date of those called up in a given season.

It's different, I believe, because bradley has zero service time in the preceding year.

here: http://blogs.provide...rvice-time.html

and

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb

Then comes the matter of service time. If Bradley starts the season on the 25-man roster and sticks around, he could become a free agent after the 2018 season. The more likely scenario is he'll become a free agent after the 2019 season.

Here's the breakdown:

• If Bradley is on the Opening Day roster and is never optioned to the Minors for at least 20 days, he'll become a free agent after the 2018 season.

• If Bradley is on the Opening Day roster, the Red Sox can prolong his free agency to after 2019 at the earliest if at any point they option him to the Minors for at least 20 days.

• If Bradley comes up on April 12 or later, he won't hit free agency until after 2019 at the earliest.

Yeah, I asked the original question and realize it made no sense. I was in the middle of a super 2 discussion about Shelby Miller and apparently didn't notice that you were talking about eventual free agency. My bad.

You have to wonder if the fact that Boston is a huge market and the media is clamoring for him to start the season in the majors will play a role in the decision. Another factor is that he is a Boras client, so you can bet he will be counting down the days until that first payday after 6 yrs. May not be likely that Boston could lock him up long-term before 2019.

I keep hearing different things about the actual number of days it is, whether it's 9 or 11. Most places say 9. Either way 9 days is nothing and I'm currently rostering him and waiting.

Does the recent roto news about Nava distress anyone else about Bradley's chances to make an impact early?

he's certainly making it tough on the Sox to send him back down, 3 run homer and a sac fly off of Cliff Lee so far today