Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

texasfan04

Jackie Bradley, Jr. OF BOS

It's different, I believe, because bradley has zero service time in the preceding year.

here: http://blogs.provide...rvice-time.html

and

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb

Then comes the matter of service time. If Bradley starts the season on the 25-man roster and sticks around, he could become a free agent after the 2018 season. The more likely scenario is he'll become a free agent after the 2019 season.

Here's the breakdown:

• If Bradley is on the Opening Day roster and is never optioned to the Minors for at least 20 days, he'll become a free agent after the 2018 season.

• If Bradley is on the Opening Day roster, the Red Sox can prolong his free agency to after 2019 at the earliest if at any point they option him to the Minors for at least 20 days.

• If Bradley comes up on April 12 or later, he won't hit free agency until after 2019 at the earliest.

The above is entirely correct.

20+ days gets another year of service time.

Honestly, I think the Sox should wait 20+ days, and then call him up - but the pressure to win now is enormous after last year, and the fact Ortiz is gone for at least 2 of those 3 weeks.

If he does play, think of a better version of Denard Span at his prime as his ceiling, with a pretty safe floor - great OBP, tons of walks, and better R/SB/RBI totals because of the home park (more the R/RBI's). Speed and a good eye will mitigate many rookie slumps, so he's a safer pick if he gets PT than most rookies, and because his D is very good, he will get his share of PT if they keep him up.

Jackie didn't start today's game, but he entered as a pinch hitter and hit a 2-RBI single. In his next at bat, facing a LHP, he hit it opposite field, to the wall, and legged out a triple.

2 for 2 with 2 RBI, and his average is up to .444.

He's going to make the Sox out of Spring Training.

I think the Sox will wait until after the service time thing because waiting only until April 12th to hold on to this guy for an extra year makes sense for Boston especially since Scott Boras is his agent. My fantasy team could use him right away however.

Leading off and playing CF today (Ellsbury still out with a sore heel). Hits a leadoff single in the first inning. Average up to .455.

Pick him up people, he's going to be an everyday player until Ortiz comes back, and even then...who knows. Ortiz can DH, Napoli at 1B, Gomes to the bench, leaving an OF spot wide open for Bradley. Gomes is a butcher in the field, and is better served as a DH. He can platoon with Ortiz, getting starts against tough lefties (who he historically mashes). That would help keep Ortiz fresh/healthy. Or he can play the OF against lefties if Bradley ends up struggling against lefties (he is a LH batter and he's young, so it wouldn't shock me).

What's this guy look like to be this year/future? 10+ homers, good gap power, 30ish stolen bags?

I too am curious about his SB potential. What are we talking about here with Bradley?

MLB level? Depending on the final number of AB.. if he gets around 400-450 over the full season, I think his floor would be about 8-10, base about 15, and then a ceiling of maybe 20-25 (with 25 being at the absolute highest).

I have read and hard a good deal of scouts (or sports writers, anchors, etc.) talk about how he will be a single-digit HR player in the majors, at least for the early portion of his career and perhaps most of it unless he pulls a Marlon Byrd. He sounds like more of a gap-to-gap type of hitter than a guy who can hit the longball. He can take a walk very well, and has displayed good patience in the minors throughout his career, which will probably give him the pitches that (if he uses right) he should be able to pull or drive and hit for average. But it will not come with much power at all.

Another alarming thing is the talk of his speed being vastly overrated and how it may not translate over to big league ball very well in his first season-- or possibly beyond. I have read a couple of articles on that and believe I have one saved in my history still too.

And the bad

Buster Olney today was on a radio show in Boston and said this guy is going to be the Red Sox version of Derek Jeter:

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2013/03/27/buster-olney-on-mm-jackie-bradley-jr-looks-like-hes-going-to-be-red-sox-version-of-derek-jeter/

I don't think anyone has turned more heads in spring than Jackie Bradley.

Buster Olney today was on a radio show in Boston and said this guy is going to be the Red Sox version of Derek Jeter:

http://fullcount.wee...of-derek-jeter/

I don't think anyone has turned more heads in spring than Jackie Bradley.

In terms of being able to keep things together, not in terms of skill and talent in the game. Still impressive.

Olney: “He’s so mature. He looks like he’s going to be their version of Derek Jeter, he really does. I don’t mean as a player — I mean in terms of being able to handle things when he gets up.”

My connection had died as I was posting my reply last night and I cannot edit it, but a recent article about Bradley's speed (concerns):

http://nesn.com/2013/03/scout-unimpressed-with-jackie-bradley-jr-s-speed-was-led-to-believe-he-was-a-burner-video/

I've read a good amount of reports about his speed grading out lower than most thought it would. I recall him (when he was coming out of the draft) being a speedster too....

I was picturing Austin Jackson really, whenever I heard this guy mentioned, but Bradley seems to have that "feel" people are talking about (ala Jeter).... he just seems to know what to do and when to do it, any time during the game. He comes off the bench and drives in 2 and then triples... he starts, and he takes Cliff Lee deep... the kid is ready. How much he will run or how his speed plays

out and whether he sticks or not, I have no idea yet...

But I'd bet he breaks opening day with the team (although as an owner, maybe I'm just hopeful).

Another factor... Gomes is not going to be a regular all year, if I had to guess. Even if Ortiz comes back, if Bradley is hitting they will be able to find room for him. (Still no idea why Ortiz was re-signed to begin with when guys like Chavez could have done the job AND played the corners... but hey, if 25mil for an old & injured DH is worth the price of fan admission, sure.)

---

As for Jackie Bradley Jr..... I'm curious what some of you guys & gals have heard or read about the guy PRIOR to spring training this year? I've read so many different or conflicting outlooks/reports heading into this year (even when he was coming out of the draft), I was never sure what type of player he really is (and I basically just pictured an Austin Jackson ceiling-- and an Austin Jackson floor... if you get what I mean by that).

As for Jackie Bradley Jr..... I'm curious what some of you guys & gals have heard or read about the guy PRIOR to spring training this year? I've read so many different or conflicting outlooks/reports heading into this year (even when he was coming out of the draft), I was never sure what type of player he really is (and I basically just pictured an Austin Jackson ceiling-- and an Austin Jackson floor... if you get what I mean by that).

I read up a ton on him before spring training while looking for impact prospects for the upcoming year. I ultimately passed on him even in minor league drafts for higher upside guys. I did think he'd be ready quickly (not THIS quickly though, I was thinking September callup) I thought he'd be a high floor, low(ish) ceiling guy. Everything I read pointed to him being a lot more valuable in real life than in fantasy, maybe .280, .340 OBP, 8 homers, and 25 stolen bases with good defense that he could start producing as soon as he reaches the majors. Ultimately I think he'll be a solid, albiet unspectacular player.

I picture someone like Denard Span, give or take maybe 5 HR and 5 SB. De Aza's plate discipline isn't all that great, is it? (Not saying Bradley's will be.... but his spring training display has been mighty impressive.)

Kid is mashing this spring and playing exceptional defense. With all of the injuries in Boston i think this guy has a shot to break the opening day roster. He's very young and i know spring training doesn't mean much but what do you guys think of this kid? Anything on him?

Bradley makes team and starting tomorrow.

Played well tonight not sure about his fantasy value I have a bid out there for him not willing to spend too much just looking to snag him up and see what happens...worse case scenario is trading him in the future (keeper league) to a homer.

Impressive debut. Three walks the first coming back from a 0-2 count vs Sabathia. He is a like an incarnation of some ball player from the past because he doesn't act like a rookie at all.

Rotoworld speculates he will be called up in a few days... I don't know how his playing time will be though.

Rotoworld speculates he will be called up in a few days... I don't know how his playing time will be though.

He's not an exciting prospect anyway. He may put up a few homers and a few steals, but that seems to be it.

He's not an exciting prospect anyway. He may put up a few homers and a few steals, but that seems to be it.

Maybe, but he is top 40 on most prospect lists, thats higher than some of the other guys we talk more about here. Worth monitoring IMO.