Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FantasyShmantasy

Notoriously Slow Starters

44 posts in this topic

Just wondering who are some notoriously slow starters who tend to heat up a couple of months into the season, primarily for the purposes of targeting for trade from skittish owners.

Some I've seen mentioned/know from experience are:

Max Scherzer

Aramis Ramirez

Who else is there?

Teixiera would be an obvious one. It'll be interesting to see if he struggles once he gets back, that would be catastrophic if he struggled.

laroche?

That would be nice, but I've heard he's just streaky as hell. I think he got off to a pretty fast start last year anyway.

White Sox batters (all of them)

King Felix

Jimmy Rollins

Aramis Ramirez is the main one, like clockwork.

As noted Laroche is just incredibly streaky, prior to last year though he would always suck out of the gate.

1 person likes this

White Sox batters (all of them)

King Felix

For real? I've never really seen him as a slow starter, and I've owned him the last two years.

A lot of these guys just don't like to hit in the cold weather.

laroche?

That would be nice, but I've heard he's just streaky as hell. I think he got off to a pretty fast start last year anyway.

yeah he started hot last season, but has generally been a slow starter. That's the thing, any of these guys could start super hot, you just never know. Just because it's happened 3 years in a row, doesn't always make it a trend.

1 person likes this

Aramis Ramirez. The guy is terrible in April and early May. But rakes hard mid May on. Plus on top of that he is so under rated. Aramis is quietly putting together a fringe hall of fame career.

He's clearly a better hitter than Ron Santo who recently got inducted. Actually right now Aramis has the exact same amount of HRs as Santo 342.

I should revise The Felix entry. He starts off good, gets hammer VERY hard in May before putting it into cruise control. 4 or 5 bad starts in a row is enough to get Felix on the cheap from someone not use to owning him.

A lot of islanders (Dominicans, Cubans, etc.) struggle with colder temperatures. As they are used to hot tropical climates.

I should revise The Felix entry. He starts off good, gets hammer VERY hard in May before putting it into cruise control. 4 or 5 bad starts in a row is enough to get Felix on the cheap from someone not use to owning him.

Ah alright I see, now thinking about it, I do remember a few starts in a row where he got shelled the last few seasons, but I didn't get too frustrated, dealing with the King and all..

Actually Konerko is the opposite from all the Sox, I see him more as a 1st half player and sell at the break.

1 person likes this

A lot of islanders (Dominicans, Cubans, etc.) struggle with colder temperatures. As they are used to hot tropical climates.

Let's be honest, nobody enjoys playing in cold weather. I've lived in NY my whole life and hate playing ball in April.

1 person likes this

Let's be honest, nobody enjoys playing in cold weather. I've lived in NY my whole life and hate playing ball in April.

Yeah nobody enjoys it, some just handle it better.

Season split trends are mostly poor predictors of future results for individuals and instead a result of small sample size. It's a well-known fact that batters fare better as temperatures rise. That being said, you can find players that are in areas that are atypically cold and try to take advantage of this. Last year, the west coast (particularly Seattle) was unseasonably cold to start the season, and run production was reduced as a result. The Upper Midwest is still pretty cold right now and is supposed to remain unseasonably cold well into April, so I'd imagine that outdoor stadiums like those in Chicago and Detroit are going to be rather unfriendly to run production for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if guys on those teams start a little slower than guys on other teams.

I've owned Verlander a few years, and he has gotten off to some surprisingly rough or at least mediocre starts in April. It's well-known that he's a Top 3 pitcher, so I doubt any of his owners will panic, but you never know.

I've owned Verlander a few years, and he has gotten off to some surprisingly rough or at least mediocre starts in April. It's well-known that he's a Top 3 pitcher, so I doubt any of his owners will panic, but you never know.

I traded Carlos Beltran for Verlander in a league last year after Beltran had that 6 HR week and Verlander laid an egg. It happens.

Mat Latos started very poorly in 2011 & 2012.

Not sure that really means much though as his career pre/post ASB splits are very close.