Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AnonymousRob

2013 Buy Low & Sell High Thread

622 posts in this topic

It's never too early to start wheeling and dealing! Especially this early in the year, you can take advantage - or fall victim to - overreactions.

Last year a few of us took a lot of heat for jumping on LaRoche's bandwagon. Sadly I had a few clunkers which negated my hit percent!

Nonetheless, folks brought a lot of stats and very well thought out lines of thinking last year. Here's hoping we get more of the same in 2013.

Who are you buying, who are you selling...and why?

Buy low on any guys that went 0-5 today, sell high on any guys that went 3-4, or 3-5. Most players will not bat .000 and most will not hit over .400 for the year. That is all.

Buying Cowgill

Do you think he's going to have some kind of monster year? If so, I understand buying high. Otherwise, why chase after him after today's game?

Buying Cowgill

Do you think he's going to have some kind of monster year? If so, I understand buying high. Otherwise, why chase after him after today's game?

Sorry. I guess I'm just considering him a buy-now. Good value for free.

1 person likes this

Selling Harper

Impossible. You don't sell Bryce Harper, Bryce Harper sells you.

1 person likes this

i think that chris sale is an eventual sell high. he's a lock to produce ace type numbers until either he gets hurt or wears down. good player to ride till mid-season and then sell for a primo bat

its one game. cant do none of this yet. sell high on harper? yeah right. sell uggla is about the only one that looks probable.

buy hamels

sell samarrrrjiudgeihwefihwefuhjia

Why sell Samardzjia? If someone thinks he'll be this good every game then sure, sell high. But otherwise...what gives? If anything he's a buy high. If an owner ended up with him but didn't target him they may not realize just how good he is. Wins will be hard to come by but he looked extremely impressive last year save the month he tried adding a new pitch.

its one game. cant do none of this yet. sell high on harper? yeah right. sell uggla is about the only one that looks probable.

It can be done. I once traded Chris Shelton AND Karl "tuffy" Rhodes!

1 person likes this

buy hamels

Disagree on selling Samardzija WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

The Cubs, as they often do, screwed with a good thing last year in June, forcing him to try to incorporate a curve. He tried it for about 5 starts, and then ditched it in early July.

I don't think he's going to do this every time he takes the mound, but a stealth run at the Cy Young wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Check here for reference: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/8281/splits;_ylt=Ajsbht.Ev8qIgYXFwVn8hsmFCLcF?year=2012&type=Pitching

Remove June and he's a top 10 arm.

1 person likes this

buy hamels

Why sell Samardzjia? If someone thinks he'll be this good every game then sure, sell high.

you kinda answered your own question there :)

if someone is willing to make a conclusion after one game...you exploit that, imo

buy hamels

The Cubs, as they often do, screwed with a good thing last year in June, forcing him to try to incorporate a curve. He tried it for about 5 starts, and then ditched it in early July.

I don't think he's going to do this every time he takes the mound, but a stealth run at the Cy Young wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Check here for reference: http://sports.yahoo....2&type=Pitching

Im not saying he isnt good, but he wont be a top 3 pitcher in the NL (which is cy young stealth run neighborhood imo)

if there are people offering you hamels for him, you take it and run...imo

buy hamels

Check here for reference: http://sports.yahoo....2&type=Pitching

Im not saying he isnt good, but he wont be a top 3 pitcher in the NL (which is cy young stealth run neighborhood imo)

if there are people offering you hamels for him, you take it and run...imo

You run fast! Samardz killed the Pirates last season too, this is nothing new.

I don't, personally. I'd find someone else to deal for Hamels.

I don't think you looked at the stats, so I'll run them for you...

151.1 IP, 2.795 ERA, 1.090 WHIP, 160 Ks

Give him another year of learning how to pitch, considering that was his first year starting... and sign me up.

1 person likes this

Give him another year of learning how to pitch, considering that was his first year starting... and sign me up.

I owned him last year so I know the stats.

I didnt keep him either- maybe Im slightly biased because of it, but among lots of good was quite a bit of bad

I owned him last year so I know the stats.

I didnt keep him either- maybe Im slightly biased because of it, but among lots of good was quite a bit of bad

...in June.