Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sportslife

Larry Fitzgerald 2013 Season Outlook

958 posts in this topic

With the news of Carson Palmer now being the starter for the Cardinals, what do you see Fitzgerald producing? Palmer is an upgrade over any QB the Cards have since Warner.

If they get some o-line help in the draft, I say Fitz is safely in the top 5 of WR's.

I wouldn't blink about picking him in the 2nd round if they shore up that line.

1 person likes this

This is about as good a result for Fitz as I think he could have expected.

Arizona has to realize that Palmer won't survive behind that line, so, hopefully they will address that in the right ways.

Palmer has one of the slowest releases in the league and he holds onto the ball too long .. I'd pump the brakes on the Fitz hype train ..

I love his talent, but I don't think I'll touch him until the top of the 3rd due to his team's / offense's situation.

Late 2nd at the earliest.

Palmer has one of the slowest releases in the league and he holds onto the ball too long .. I'd pump the brakes on the Fitz hype train ..

You forget. This is the good ship lollypop. Everyone Is great. Everyone is gonna have a huge season.

With the news of Carson Palmer now being the starter for the Cardinals, what do you see Fitzgerald producing? Palmer is an upgrade over any QB the Cards have since Warner.

Not sold on Palmer being all that and a bag of chips...not ready to put Fitz way up the board.

Well, if you're the fantasy guru..

Well, if you're the fantasy guru..

Yeah , no dissension allowed. Fall in line.

I can see 1300 yards/10 TD's easily for Fitz.. that's top 5 numbers, no? He hit 1400 yards in 2011 with trash throwing to him.

The fact that Bruce Arians is taking over bodes very well for him, he likes to air it out.

I can see 1300 yards/10 TD's easily for Fitz.. that's top 5 numbers, no? He hit 1400 yards in 2011 with trash throwing to him.

The fact that Bruce Arians is taking over bodes very well for him, he likes to air it out.

Glad that some people get it. Talent usually wins out in the end in the NFL and people should not be expecting another down year for Fitz.

I also have faith in Arians to get Palmer just enough protection(somehow) to get Fitz the ball. I expect his best season since Warner's last. It pulls him into the 2nd tier after Calvin imo.

The secondary receivers suck, Calvin jumped up this year with the acquistion of Reggie.

You forget. This is the good ship lollypop. Everyone Is great. Everyone is gonna have a huge season.

Hahaha. I like a good contrarian point of view, but as someone who doesn't own Fitz on a single team and can't recall ever having him on a redraft team, I am on board this year. I think he makes his way back into the top 5 at around a WR10 price.

Palmer may not be the QB he once was, but Fitz has done more with less. Palmer is a massive upgrade over Derek Anderson, Kolb, Skelton, and whoever else they've trotted out there the last 3 years. And I believe they invest in a tackle with their 1st pick in the draft.

With Mendenhall and Ryan Williams as their RBs, I don't think they'll be tempted to run the ball that often. I'm expecting 90/1250/10

If they get some o-line help in the draft, I say Fitz is safely in the top 5 of WR's.

I wouldn't blink about picking him in the 2nd round if they shore up that line.

2nd round? wow thats extremely early just because they signed a mediocre qb after what fitz did last season. anyone who takes fitz before aj green, dez, julio, marshall, or demaryius is crazy imo

i think the hype is just going to get out of control by draft day. im not going to say that fitz isnt extremely talented and he's still fairly young but in my league he finished 41st at wr last year behind andre roberts. so in reality he wasnt even the #1 fantasy wr on his own team. his oline as of right now isnt much improved and palmer has a slow release. im not saying fitz will finish near 41st again but i think by draft day this guy will be drafted in the mid-late 3rd round which is just way too early to take a risk on a wr that could bust again

I'm hoping that a new qb and coach will make for enough preseason exposure to make a more educated assessment than a lot of other options in that price range. If they look a mess I'm going to pass.

The secondary receivers suck, Calvin jumped up this year with the acquistion of Reggie.

Andre Roberts and Michael Floyd do not suck... they are actually pretty solid compliments to Fitz.

I also think Housler has a shot to be pretty good.

It's really the QBs and OLine that sucked.

Agree with the above posters that Arians will work a better scheme and that Palmer is a quality vet that still has skills/ability.

Not ready to put these guys in the superbowl, obviously, but their offense will be much better with this new combo.

To say Roberts and Floyd suck is off target.

Having said that, we will find out more about them this season for sure.

i think the hype is just going to get out of control by draft day. im not going to say that fitz isnt extremely talented and he's still fairly young but in my league he finished 41st at wr last year behind andre roberts. so in reality he wasnt even the #1 fantasy wr on his own team. his oline as of right now isnt much improved and palmer has a slow release. im not saying fitz will finish near 41st again but i think by draft day this guy will be drafted in the mid-late 3rd round which is just way too early to take a risk on a wr that could bust again

Well to be fair, it's very likely that Fitz was drawing double teams all day long allowing Roberts to get more looks.

Note that I didn't see many(if any at all) Arizona games last year so this is just my thoughts.

Well to be fair, it's very likely that Fitz was drawing double teams all day long allowing Roberts to get more looks.

Note that I didn't see many(if any at all) Arizona games last year so this is just my thoughts.

yeah but who's to say things will be any different this year

Why wouldn't it? He has an actual NFL QB throwing to him, And whenever that has happened, production has followed.

Why wouldn't it? He has an actual NFL QB throwing to him, And whenever that has happened, production has followed.

well like i said "his oline as of right now isnt much improved or improved at all and palmer has a slow release"

his oline is the worst in the entire league giving up 58 sacks last year. im not rooting against fitz, i like him, i just dont know if he'll be worth a 3rd round pick when i can get a guy like randall cobb, roddy white, or victor cruz around the same time

well like i said "his oline as of right now isnt much improved or improved at all and palmer has a slow release"

his oline is the worst in the entire league giving up 58 sacks last year. im not rooting against fitz, i like him, i just dont know if he'll be worth a 3rd round pick when i can get a guy like randall cobb, roddy white, or victor cruz around the same time

They had a lot of injuries last year on the line. I'd take Fitz over any of those guys.

2 people like this

New Cardinals coach Bruce Arians says he's targeting "over 100 catches and 10-15 touchdowns" for Larry Fitzgerald in 2013.

Reggie Wayne looked washed up before Arians got a hold of him in 2012, and Wayne's career renaissance at age 34 wrapped up with a 106/1,355/12.8/5 line. Fitzgerald is only 29 years old with plenty of good football left. Arians' highly vertical, pass-happy offense and Carson Palmer can help rejuvenate him.

New Cardinals coach Bruce Arians says he's targeting "over 100 catches and 10-15 touchdowns" for Larry Fitzgerald in 2013.

Reggie Wayne looked washed up before Arians got a hold of him in 2012, and Wayne's career renaissance at age 34 wrapped up with a 106/1,355/12.8/5 line. Fitzgerald is only 29 years old with plenty of good football left. Arians' highly vertical, pass-happy offense and Carson Palmer can help rejuvenate him.

All of this is way too optimistic offseason coach speak. It's nice to hear but it means little. The bigger takeaway is the Rotoworld commentary, which is spot on in my opinion. Wayne had an awful 2011 as he was forced to deal with the worst QB situation in the league that season in IND. His talent did not suddenly disappear, there was just too much to overcome in IND in 2011 (the unexpected loss of Manning due to injury, an inept HC in Caldwell, the QB trio of KCollins, Painer, & Orlovsky, etc.) Fitz had many of those same problems in 2012 and it caused him to have a down year. It was not him losing skill and starting the downward slope of his career. Arians + Palmer + improved O-line (fingers crossed...) = a major bounce back year. Not counting his rookie season, Fitz has averaged 88 rec/1,200 yd/ 8.6 TD in his 8 season from 05-12. I'm betting he goes over in all of those receiving categories for 2013, which should make him an easy top 10 fantasy WR again