Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DK64MASTER

Barry Zito 2013 Outlook

64 posts in this topic

Is he going for a repeat of last year? He started last year with a CG Shutout. Looking good through 6 innings.

Is he going for a repeat of last year? He started last year with a CG Shutout. Looking good through 6 innings.

Only @ AT&T. Could have been 2-3 bombs in most parks today.

I got me some mad respect for this guy - he very well could have mailed it in and taken that contract to the bank.

Instead he's worked his butt off to reinvent himself into a usable pitcher, and while that contract will always be bad - he's producing solid innings.

And Zito gets another hit. Not bad for someone spending a lot of time in the AL. I remember he always got timely clutch hits last season. Even better, it means he's in for another inning. I find it hard not to root for the guy after all the hate he's gotten.

just picked him up. he does this every year with good starts

I don't know about every year. Looks an awful lot like last year.

He is pitching with a new swagger since the end of last season. I think he really worked on certain parts of his game and should have a solid year at the end of the Giants rotation.

ever since that historic game 5 in NLCS he looks like he ragained some lost confidence.

stuff-wise, he's the same guy. but it looks like he's handling himself better (that and limiting walks in general).

looks like Cain and Vogelsong taught him well how to get out of tight situations.

I never in a million years thought we'd want to get rid of Lincecum and re-sign Barry as our #4/5.

Bochy better not let that option vest, though. Need to mix in some 5 inning games. I'm sure Barry will oblige enough times.

Never thought Id contemplate picking up Barry Zito but hes been solid dating back to the tail end of last yr.

Never thought Id contemplate picking up Barry Zito but hes been solid dating back to the tail end of last yr.

last 4 starts counting the playoffs Zito has given up 1 earned run in 4 games...against cardinals (twice), tigers and rockies...that's freaking insane

I dont think he's ever even done three 1-run starts in a row with the Giants

This years dickey? Not talking cy young but 15 wins and comeback player not out of reach with his pedigree

his FB is sitting at 83-84mph... im not sold

Doesn't he still have that big 12 to 6 curveball though?

In his home park, and heck, in that division, he's going to be able to get away with 83-84 as long as he's locating well and mixing his pitches enough to keep guys from sitting on his FB.

I'm looking at his last 9 starts now, dating back to September 9 of last year, and he's been a QS machine. His worst start in that span was 6 IP, 3 ER.

If my math is correct, he has a 1.40 ERA and a 1.19 WHIP over those last 9 starts (58 IP), with a 9-0 record and 40 Ks. The K rate is nothing special, but WOW he has been a pretty effective...

The best two pitchers on my staff are Pettitte and Zito....who da' thunk it?

Of course...it's early and I certainly say that with a little sarcasm, but it's something to be encouraged about.

2010 he got off to a really hot start. April he was 4-0 with 1.53 ERA. Mid June that year he was 7-2 with a 3.10 ERA. But then went on to go 2-12 in next 14 Decisions and was left off the playoff roster. In the showdown series with the Pads, he had the Saturday game in the final weekend and was pretty bad.

2010 he got off to a really hot start. April he was 4-0 with 1.53 ERA. Mid June that year he was 7-2 with a 3.10 ERA. But then went on to go 2-12 in next 14 Decisions and was left off the playoff roster. In the showdown series with the Pads, he had the Saturday game in the final weekend and was pretty bad.

Yeah, I know he's done this before with the great April. I don't even think past history applies to Zito anymore though. He's kind of reinvented himself and has a totally different mental approach to the game.

Here's an excerpt from an article (http://www.mercurynews.com/tim-kawakami/ci_22966948/kawakami-invincible-barry-zito-has-flipped-reality) I found interesting:

The Giants defeated St. Louis 1-0 in the 2013 AT&T Park opener Friday, the 15th consecutive time the Giants have won a Zito start, dating to August.

Which is amazing for any pitcher, at any time, across all categories, but especially for Zito, whose fastball tops out at 84 mph and yet he keeps

20130405__ssjm0406giants~1_300.JPG

Barry Zito (75) of the San Francisco Giants pitches against the St. Louis Cardinals in the fourth inning of the home opener at AT&T Park in San Francisco, Calif. on Friday, April 5, 2013. (Gary Reyes/ Staff) ( Gary Reyes )

bedazzling hitters through monster playoff games and now into 2013.

How has this happened? The best explanation, fittingly, has Zen simplicity: Zito is doing this precisely because he's not focused on it. At all.

"Maybe statwise you guys can kind of make (the streak) the story," Zito said after throwing seven shutout innings in a strong echo of his epic shutdown of the Cardinals in Game 5 of the NLCS last year.

"But for me, every day's a new day, and I have to approach it not as a continuation of anything but as a new challenge."

Sure, Zito is aware of the streak. As manager Bruce Bochy said with a smile, everybody in the clubhouse is aware of the streak.

How can you ignore 15-0?

But even now, at the top of his game, Zito has the same cool discipline that helped him to survive his first horrible years with the Giants after signing his $126 million contract. "I wish I could say I was locked in for 15 games, but baseball is a very unpredictable game," Zito said. "Anything could happen."

And I think that's what is lifting him now: He wasn't broken by the horridness because he always separated himself from the ugliness and stayed in the moment; he's applying the same process now that he has his groove back.

This is not an extension of his run to end 2012, he insists. This is a new thing, because every Zito game is a new thing.

"It's just kind of different for me," Zito said. "For me to look at streaks and try to keep things going, quote, unquote, it's not conducive to being in the present with every pitch."

good matchups next week, Is everyone riding him?

I know the brews are struggling, but he hasn't had luck at miller. time for a change?