Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheWash4President

Phil Hughes 2013 Outlook

80 posts in this topic

"Phil Hughes (back) will be activated from the disabled list to start Saturday, April 6th, against the Tigers"

This seems pretty early to return, he was supposed to get a AAA start, but his return now has to do with some other factors(bullpen depth), and not really with the health of his back?

What are your thoughts on his first start, and his season in general?

What do people think this year? Seems like he's coming off the DL rather soon.

W's may not be there this year, but he could be a nice back end option.

He looks ok. The top of the lineup is definitely making him work, and it is really windy. A lot of hard hit balls by both teams. A nice catch by Gardner helped him get out of the 3rd with a man on 2nd/3rd. His 3rd K was on a pretty nice offspeed pitch

Pitching today vs AZ. Would you expect his numbers the rest of the season to look similar to 2012? Any reason to expect worse over the long haul?

Hughes has been really good his last three starts. I haven't watched him pitch much. Anyone have a sense whether he's made adjustments, or just seen his luck reverse? The K:BB ratio has been particularly impressive.

Hughes has been really good his last three starts. I haven't watched him pitch much. Anyone have a sense whether he's made adjustments, or just seen his luck reverse? The K:BB ratio has been particularly impressive.

i watched today's start. he got terribly unlucky, as most of the hits were a complete joke (nothing hit too hard). his fastball had nice life today and great command of it. jays offense has been pretty bad lately though, so i'm not sure what to think. i streamed him today, and will be hanging onto him for a bit b/c of the K upside. might play him based on matchups, but i'm definitely intrigued.

i watched today's start. he got terribly unlucky, as most of the hits were a complete joke (nothing hit too hard). his fastball had nice life today and great command of it. jays offense has been pretty bad lately though, so i'm not sure what to think. i streamed him today, and will be hanging onto him for a bit b/c of the K upside. might play him based on matchups, but i'm definitely intrigued.

I thought this might be the case. Fangraphs has his FIP at 0.50 for today's game. Tough to know with a guy like Phil -- rock solid K rates through the minors, but only middling K rates as a SP (great K rate as a reliever for the Yanks in 2009). I also streamed him today and think I'll hold for the time being.

i think hes finally figured this whole pitching thing out. Couple of consistent starts in a row

Phil has always been mentally capable of being the ace. His stuff just spontaneously disappeared after his second career start against the rangers. Sitting mid 90s with a filthy 12-6 curve -- 5 outs from a no hitter.

Then he was hurt, grade 2(?) strain and was never the same after that.

He's putting it together.

wow what an absolute boss. Glad i bought low on him for sure he always had the potential and hes finally realizing it. Keep going Philly. any chance he goes out there for 8 hes at 105 pc

wow what an absolute boss. Glad i bought low on him for sure he always had the potential and hes finally realizing it. Keep going Philly. any chance he goes out there for 8 hes at 105 pc

i don't see why not. and pull him if he gets into any slight trouble. i know most around here probably were yelling at their tv when he went out for the 7th at 99 pitches though. nice warm day, he's still throwing gas and hasn't shown fatigue, 105 is nothing imo, let him go for another.

Thank you Hughes for the great start!!! Helped me more then it should this week. Lets hope for the win leave him in for more K's!

this half makes up for me sitting AJ in that park last night. proud of you philly. i've owned him several times in his journey, and it's always been a rollercoaster, hopefully this is the time he sticks and turns into auction/keeper gold ($1 end of draft).

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, May 5, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

I picked him up as a streamer just in time for Saturday's game. Do you all think he's worth a hold or should I keep the roster spot open?

As a Yanks fan, I am pulling for him but he terrifies me from a fantasy option.

I am going to add him and drop ZM. Estrada, both like to give up moon shots, but Hughes schedule looks decent next few starts so hopefully he can keep it rolling.