Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PRoSPx

Marlins @ Mets 4/7 Gameday Thread

134 posts in this topic

Sitting 96-97 first inning. All fastballs except for two curves he threw to Wright. Looks like one of them was called a ball but in the zone according to Gameday. All flied out.

cruised through the 1st...was throwing lots of strikes...mostly fastballs (93-96mph)

3 up 3 down, but all fairly deep fly balls. could be trouble after they've seen the fastball a few times. pretty good 1st inning for a 20 year old, only 8 pitches.

topped out at 96mph

edit: looks like i was the 8th person to post the exact same thing

Throwing strikes, which bodes well but if he doesn't mix it up then he will get hammered.

He's not missing high, which I find encouraging. It's hard to get hurt badly down in the zone, and most of his fastballs were down.

Breaking ball had some nice hard bite to it, but it didn't look like a slider to me. Either way, didn't miss up with it either.

Let's see if he starts elevating as he tires… that's usually when you get mashed.

Supposedly, Fernandez also possesses a plus slider, changeup and a 2-seam fastball... I'd imagine we would have seen them if he got deeper into counts. But the Mets look a bit trigger happy to start off today.

Heard Jeff Brantley on the Reds broadcast the other night talking about Homer Bailey. And he basically said if a pitcher could turn a lineup over once while basically spotting his fastball, it was a huge advantage. Didn't have to show all his weapons right out of the gate. Bailey definitely did it that night… and while Fernandez mixed in a couple breaking balls, we may not see the full repertoire for a couple innings.

Supposedly, Fernandez also possesses a plus slider, changeup and a 2-seam fastball... I'd imagine we would have seen them if he got deeper into counts. But the Mets look a bit trigger happy to start off today.

I don't know if all of those are considered plus pitches at least according to various scouting reports. His fastball and curve do appear great and he seems to have very good command.

How did the change up look?

Made Ike look silly. Lots of movement.

1 person likes this