Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tonywow

Backups, FAs Too Good To Pass, Strategy...WHIR

My league's FAs are picked clean of bats. I have stocked up on extra bats, guys like Lucroy, Michael Young, Swisher, Revere, Dunn, for this reason and in case of days off or injuries. Last year was bad for injuries and makes me feel like keeping these bats on top of how slim hitters are in FAs was the way to go.

SP in our league last year and this season, tends to remain pretty strong throughout the stretch. Whis is another reason I felt I could hold onto the extra bats, use them when needed or for trades possibly. There are however some really attractive SP options in FAs.

FA SPs- Ryu, Hellickson, Estrada, Griffin, Milone, Petitte, Detwiler, Fernandez, Vogelsong, Iwakuma, Zito, among the best.

My league only requires 27 innings pitched. Once met we bench our remaining SPs to give us the best chance to beat our opponent in ERs, Hs, BBs, ERA. If some of our SPs are really bad, then we start everyone else going to try and win Ks and Ws. So having too many SPs isn't needed like in some leagues you guys may be in.

I wasn't sure how much I should roll with say Lucroy for backup C or Michael Young for 2B/3B protection. In COL De LaRosa has the backup catcher for his starts so Rosario sits that game, and MIL seems to have the same days off as COL has so far, I really haven't been able to use Lucroy. Young paid off today with a couple hits/rbis, HR, but has not been able to start often with other guys I have. Of course a couple injuries and these guys would be a lifesaver.

So do you guys think I'm putting too much value on the bench bats and backups?

Does anyone think I should drop some bats and grab a couple SPs?

With my 27 IP cap and the way we roll out starters, having Felix, Sale, Harvey, Miley, Cueto, and Beachey on the DL, SP doesn't seem like a dire need. Some of those FA SPs are darn good though and I'm not sure what is more valuable for me the extra bats or adding a couple SPs. Having a couple more SPs could allow me to trade maybe Felix and try to get a big OF bat or something too and still have very deep SPs.

WHIR

I don't think Rosario is too injury prone, but you never know with catchers. Middlebrooks is injury prone, holding onto Young may not be a bad idea. Keep Swisher on your team, he's the man. Dunn is obviously not someone you drop. I think it'd be safe to drop Revere unless you're desperate for the speed. I think Lucroy is second in the pecking order for being dropped. I realize that you don't start SPs if you're ahead after 27 innings, but I think Ryu, Hellickson, and Fernandez are all worth a look. Right below them I'd look at Estrada, then Milone (only pitches well at home) and Detwiler should pick up some Ws this season. It's hard to judge not knowing your league's strategy and settings well, but I don't think some of those bench bats are going to contribute to your team like one of these SPs could.

As mentioned above, I would probably add one of these SP's purely on a flyer and hope for the best. I am not a huge fan of carrying 2 catchers in a 1 catcher league, espcially a 10 team league. IF something happens, you could add a C in a pinch, but I think you are fine with Rosario. M. Young would be second on my list to be honest, he just wont play much with the guys you have, and I am certainly not dropping Swisher or Dunn for that matter. I like Revere for you because your team is not filled with speed so he would be useful for you there.

Hellickson, Vogelsong, RYU, Millone and Pettitte in that order from a safe standpoint. Or you could shoot for the moon and try a flier with Fernandez, in that league L's won't matter but I think the other stats would be worth the risk/reward. They have to keep him up for the year, the team has to try and somehow sell tickets...

Thanks for the help with mine.

I agree with the above not a fan of 2 catchers in a 10 team league. I am surprised that in a 10 team league there are not more quality bats out there. I guess it is because of the 27 inning limit and pitching is not as much of a priority. Pitching is so up and down from year to year and it looks like you have some good pitchers. Having said all that I think you should drop Lucroy for any of the pitchers on waivers in particular Fernandez , RYU you could catch lighting in the bottle with one of those guys. Thanks for the help

If you're in an innings capped league, I don't really see the need for picking up anymore pitchers. You have a set of quality starters, so you might not even get around to starting all of them in a given week. But like the others said, you really don't need two catchers. So if you feel the need, I'd probably drop Lucroy for Hellickson.

My league requires 20 innings pitched minimum - I consolidated pitching myself. Just roster enough to meet your limits and maybe +1 to that, and then focus on having backup bats. Ryu and Fernandez are two nice targets, if you NEED a pitcher. Otherwise I wouldn't be too concerned about it

I'd drop Young. Never been a big fan of him and it seems like he would struggle to ever make your lineup. I'd pick up Ryu. He's the real deal and will be great this year. I'd rather take a flier and hope he breaks out over Young. Lucroy would be my next cut, but there's not a need for a 2nd pitcher.

Help? http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=343962

Wow, this is too good of a crop. I love Hellickson, Zito, Iwakuma, Fernandez, Estrada and Ryu. I think of all of them Fernandez has that true potential to be amazing. Zito and Estrada will probably have decent years. I don't know if I see Ryu and Iwakuma doing it all year and Hellickson will turn things around, so I won't give up on him. Tough pick.

There's no need to carry an extra catcher. Drop Lucroy. Or even drop Revere. I like Estrada and Ryu, so I would pick one of them up. Milone is also a great ratio stabilizer, and Griffin has some upside. If you want to play it a little safer, go Vogelsong.

I'd drop Young. Never been a big fan of him and it seems like he would struggle to ever make your lineup. I'd pick up Ryu. He's the real deal and will be great this year. I'd rather take a flier and hope he breaks out over Young. Lucroy would be my next cut, but there's not a need for a 2nd pitcher.

Help? http://forums.rotowo...howtopic=343962

You were NEVER a fan of Michael Young? Even when he won a batting title and was racking up multiple consecutive 200+ hit seasons? Looking at that statement just from a fantasy point of view (I mean, there are players I'm not a fan of that I would love to have on my fantasy team) seems a bit ignorant of what he's done, and what he's capable of.

Help? http://forums.rotowo...howtopic=343962

You were NEVER a fan of Michael Young? Even when he won a batting title and was racking up multiple consecutive 200+ hit seasons? Looking at that statement just from a fantasy point of view (I mean, there are players I'm not a fan of that I would love to have on my fantasy team) seems a bit ignorant of what he's done, and what he's capable of.

Are you really going to nitpick on little details? In 12 years in the bigs, Young has hit over 20 homers only 4 times. I never said he wasn't a solid hitter, just not a guy I ever really wanted.