Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brewcrewfan

Gavin Floyd 2013 Outlook

23 posts in this topic

Strike outs are good ... I didnt like him in this matchup

Could be a 2 start pitcher next week though.

He is what he is. Every year his FIP and xFIP look good but in the end his numbers are always the same: an ERA in the low 4's, 1.20-ish WHIP and 7 K/9.

He's just very unpredictable. He'll shut down a great hitting team one week and get lit up by a crappy team the next.

1 person likes this

2 start week TOR/MIN

Just a heads up, Toronto will be without Bautista/Reyes for you streamers

Floyd is one of those really confusing players. He has great stuff, but just has those snowball innings that make the line ugly.

One of these years (probably in another uniform), he will put up an 'ace' like season, only to disappoint you the following season.

I'm expecting a 10+ K complete game domination

or 1.1 innings, 5 ER, and my ratios destroyed on the first night.

Either way, rolling the dice. No Bautista, no Reyes ... and the Twins game 2 ... worth the risk.

I was looking deeper into his stats and he really should be a top 50 pitcher. Seems like he's been bitten by 1 bad inning each of his starts. See what happens tonight. Decent string of starts coming up: vs. Min, vs. TB, @TX, @NYM, @Min is what it should be assuming everything stays normal. Take out the TX start and not too bad.

... double to bonifacio .. homer to arencibia ...

oh gavin, you never cease to amaze.

Is he serious right now? Adam Lind hasn't hit a double since the Bush administration.

this inning is floyd's career in a nutshell. looks like he's tossing BP to one hitter, then out of nowhere starts striking people out left and right.

i wouldn't be shocked if he goes another 4-5 innings with no ER ... this guy is totally unpredictable. he should get some run support tonight tho so hopefully a W and some decent Ks.

i think i figured floyd out

when everything points to a solid outing - drop him

when everything points to him getting lit up - start him

homer to izturis ... this guy is unreal. anyone that streamed him is gonna drop him ... which means he'll pitch lights out vs minnesota.

With the plethora of injuries to my SP staff, I put Floyd on the mound this week. Oui Vey!

rraayy3 you hit the nail on the head. His inconsistency batter-to-batter is head scratching. It points to a lack of mental toughness...he just can't stay in the mental groove he needs to bear down pitch-to-pitch.

Owned him in the past and probably one of the most frustrating guys to own. When he's on, the guy has great stuff. Unfortunately, he has the mental fortitude of a melon.

I was looking deeper into his stats and he really should be a top 50 pitcher. Seems like he's been bitten by 1 bad inning each of his starts. See what happens tonight. Decent string of starts coming up: vs. Min, vs. TB, @TX, @NYM, @Min is what it should be assuming everything stays normal. Take out the TX start and not too bad.

Unfortunately that has been the case for several years now. He's always had solid K%, BB% and SwStr%. But in the end his numbers just don't look that spectacular. His FIP and xFIP from 2009 to 2011 are around 3.70 yet his ERA is 0.50 higher. He always underperforms his peripherals.

The worst part is his unpredictability. He's one of the worst pitchers when it comes to streaming because you simply don't know how he'll do. You sit him against the Yankees and he'll throw a CG shoutout. You start him against the Mariners and he'll get lit up.

My ratios are shot already and people are obviously turned off by his horrible outing

Which means hes probably striking out 20 in a no hitter vs minnesota.

Tear in the Elbow?

Getting a 3rd opinion....done for the year most likely?