Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vupacalypse

Havard Rugland 2013 Season Outlook

28 posts in this topic

"I knew I shouldn't have chucked those retirement papers."

~David Akers

My league just added points per accurate kick to passerby on boat to our scoring, so i don't even need to tell you who is at the top of my K rankings.

3 people like this

A star is born. This dude will have a shoe deal and Nike commercial before the year is up.

This is how we chill from 93, till--

However . . .

Doesn't this mean that the most likely outcome is now a post-hype Zuerlein resurgence from the catacombs that has him hittin fat stacks of 50s?

This is how we chill from 93, till--

However . . .

Doesn't this mean that the most likely outcome is now a post-hype Zuerlein resurgence from the catacombs that has him hittin fat stacks of 50s?

Why do you think I haven't made the G-Z thread yet? Timing is everything.

Akers is a washed up disaster. I don't know why he had a job last year and think the Lions were nuts for signing him. I don't mind them giving this guy a chance though. He's got a heck of a strong leg. It's one thing to make amazing kicks in front of a camera with ten tries to do so. It's another to hit easy kicks with only one attempt in pressure circumstances.

Worst thing is he cracks and flubs his chance. If that happens, it'll probably be in preseason.

The Lions signing him has me emotionally torn.

I'm a life-long Lions fan, and am pretty heavily invested in them for the rest of my life. Nothing will change this.

I've also taken a huge swig of the Legatron kool-aid and see big things this year.

What ever is a fan of fantasy kickers to do?! Do I roster both? :o

I'm a life-long Lions fan, and am pretty heavily invested in them for the rest of my life. Nothing will change this.

I've also taken a huge swig of the Legatron kool-aid and see big things this year.

Start one at WR3.

1 person likes this

I'd like to see the unedited version so I can see how many tries he took to make some of these kicks.

Start one at WR3.

Or lobby your league to make Kickers eligible to be started in the FLEX spot.

I guess I'm not too familiar with Norwegian names, I keep wanting to call this guy Harvard. Though that's already taken by Mr. Fitzmagic.

What you do is pray that Kickalicious works out. If you had Akers or followed the 49ers last year, you would know not to go anywhere near this guy. He's done. If Akers wins the starting job, the days of Detroit having a top kicker are done. The Unknown is far better than Akers.

i haven't decided if his nickname makes me wanna reach for him in the first round or set myself on fire and drive off a cliff

i haven't decided if his nickname makes me wanna reach for him in the first round or set myself on fire and drive off a cliff

Oh, that nickname is one of the reasons for me NOT wanting to draft him. Pretty much the only reason, besides Legatron.

Looks like he could be the punter and kicker

Akers is a washed up disaster. I don't know why he had a job last year

Really?

You don't know why a guy that broke two NFL records in 2011 had a job in 2012?

As for the Lions signing him for this upcoming season, well, Akers claims he had some sort of issue with his pelvis last year. And it's a fact that he's bounced back from being supposedly washed up before. He struggled from 2005 to 2007, only to have a resurgence from 2008-2011, resuming his place as one of the league's top kickers and culminating with the 2011 record setting year.

That being said, the Lions have obviously signed Rugland for a reason, and I certainly don't blame them.

As for Rugland...

The salient portions of his little YT video are the clips showing him making series of 50 and 60 yard field goals, and his excellent kicking form.

Speaking as someone that's played some amateur soccer myself (in my youth I was in the Olympic Development Program and actually made the national pool, for what that's worth), what strikes me about Rugland is how efficient his form is. You don't see it so often in American football kickers, whom usually tend to strike the ball with more strength than technique, but Rugland knows how to focus all his power into the point of impact itself and refrains from following through more than necessary with his leg (which is what kickers with less technique do to get extra distance), which, when done correctly, has the effect of maintaining all the distance but gives you better height. Or in other words, Rugland knows how to hit a proper long ball that maximizes height and distance, and wastes nothing on drive/velocity, which isn't necessary in field-goal kicking unless you're fighting the wind.

This better kicking form also has the added effect of making him much more accurate. It's power and finesse, whereas with most American kickers it's all power and drive, and it's the drive that's meant to keep the ball straight... but additional drive increases the likelihood of a shank.

Anyway, none of this is meant to assert that Rugland is a sure thing in my mind; but the point is that his technique is great for kicking in a dome, and incidentally, that's what the Lions play in. But how Rugland will do planting on crappy turf (and some of the most consistently torn up and loose turf in the NFL -- Soldier Field -- belongs to a division rival), against the wind, and in the pressure of the moment remains to be seen, of course.

I led my 1st grade soccer team in goals (true story)

I approve of Mr. Rugland.

Akers is a washed up disaster. I don't know why he had a job last year

Really?

You don't know why a guy that broke two NFL records in 2011 had a job in 2012?

Oh, I understand why he had a job in September, by December you had to be in awe at the disaster his year had become and it was hold your breath time for SF in the Super Bowl in hopes he wouldn't be Scott Norwood Jr. (He wasn't, he played well.)