Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spaghetti

Julio Borbon 2013 Outlook

18 posts in this topic

Been looking for some deep cheap speed, so I had been keeping an eye on what he lands after he was designated for assignment by the Rangers, hoping he'd land on a team where he can get a decent amount of playing time, perhaps like the Astros or Twins. Surprisingly, he fell to the Cubs. I guess his playing time will increase only when Dejesus/Soriano gets traded? Thoughts?

So aggravated that the Twins did not grab this guy. He provides a perfect bridge between now and When Hicks will be ready. He is a prototypical Gardenhire guy, could hit lead-off for the Twins, and would allow Hicks to be sent to AAA. My patience with Terry Ryan is wearing thin.

Borbon didn't drop to the Twins actually. The Cubs had second priority to claim him.

Not true. All AL teams would have priority over any NL team

Borbon didn't drop to the Twins actually. The Cubs had second priority to claim him.

Not true. All AL teams would have priority over any NL team

MLBTraderumors doesn't agree with you:

Because waiver priority is determined by the previous year's standings for the first month of the season, the Cubs had second priority to claim Borbon. He did not pass through the entire American League unclaimed.

-http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/04/cubs-claim-julio-borbon.html

Bunt single, SB, R last night. Starting and hitting 2nd today with soriano out. All 3 cubs OFs are over 30, doesn't exactly fit the "rebuild." However, a 27 year old guy who can run hit and play defense DOES fit the rebuild. I think they will build up this guy's PT until an eventual OF is traded.

I am in a super deep NL only where literally only one guy on waivers even had a SB this season (and he had exactly 1- that's right- 1 total SB on the entire waiver wire).

As such, I put in a competitive bid on borbon and got him- in leagues as deep as that, he should have some value even as a PR type for speed. In standard leagues he's a trade away from some dynasty value.

To the Cubs? Weird. Doesn't seem like a Theo guy.

Didn't you hear? Defense is the new OPS-type market inefficiency.

To the Cubs? Weird. Doesn't seem like a Theo guy.

Didn't you hear? Defense is the new OPS-type market inefficiency.

Yah, but Borbon is pretty terrible at the old market inefficiency.

Bourbon is totally a theo guy. The OBP guys were LL not Theo guys.

This put together garbage in Boston. Gammons was harping on defense revolutionizing winning and touting Theo as the next Beane and Iglesias as the next Ozzie Smith.

Bourbon is right up that alley.

Bourbon is totally a theo guy. The OBP guys were LL not Theo guys.

This put together garbage in Boston. Gammons was harping on defense revolutionizing winning and touting Theo as the next Beane and Iglesias as the next Ozzie Smith.

Bourbon is right up that alley.

Yes and no.

There was one year in particular that I remember that they were talking about how many runs they were going to prevent, 2010 it was (I had to look it up). But that seemed more of a result of looking at what the market had to offer rather than a fundamental shift in how Theo was thinking about players. I don't know how strictly they held to it, but I read 5 or 6 years ago that the Red Sox instituted something in their minor system that in order to move up to the next level, you had to have a batting average of .300+ and an OBP of .400+ at the level you were at. Not sure if they had similar baselines for pitchers.

You look at Adrian Gonzalez (well, his history before the Red Sox). Him, to me, is a Theo guy (and Theo had been watching him for a decade by the time they traded for him). You look at Rizzo. He looks like a Theo guy. Ellsbury looks like a Theo guy.

Borbon just doesn't, other than a wheels-off-the-bench replacement.

hes starting and leading off pretty frequently these days, what gives?

I have him at util in my NL only as a pure speed flier, this PT is a welcome surprise!

CS tonight though :angry:

He's only playing more because DeJesus and Shierholtz don't get starts vs. Lefties, and the cubs have had a lot of starts vs. lefties recently, including all three of the sox pitchers in this series.

Dejesus to the DL. RW speculates Sweeney will be the beneficiary, but since dejesus was leading off, something that suits borbon's skillset, I think Borbon will start a good % of the games.