Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MOFUGGER

Allen Webster 2013 Outlook

100 posts in this topic

Getting called up to start the 2nd game of tomorrow's DH. Personally, I like him a lot and think he's got a decent shot at excelling. What are you guys thinking?

Not exactly sure why they aren't starting Doubront. Was supposed to be his normal day before the postponement anyway.

Heck yeah! People are sleeping on this guy because of control problems last year but was the apple of the Gonzalez deal last year to the dodgers. Mid 90's sinking fastball touches 97 some days with good movement plus change decent slider. Awesome spring great start to the minors this season. Should have been ranked higher on prospect lists.

I picked him up to stream in my yahoo league but I can't actually start him because the Sox have already played a game today. So that's kind of a downer. Just a fair warning to others in Yahoo leagues.

Heck yeah! People are sleeping on this guy because of control problems last year but was the apple of the Gonzalez deal last year to the dodgers. Mid 90's sinking fastball touches 97 some days with good movement plus change decent slider. Awesome spring great start to the minors this season. Should have been ranked higher on prospect lists.

Rubby de la Rosa has something to say about that.

Rubby is good but this guys command was the only thing keeping him supposedly behind him. Most would rank Allen over rubby if that had not been the case either way two stud SP's that can dial it up to 97 is a nice haul.

You jinxed him!

Seriously this kid looks really really good. What a great win in that trade!

Had a rougher 5th inning where he gave up 2 homers, but still so far has only thrown 67 pitches through 5 IP.

Has 5 K's and 2 ER. Still pretty good so far.

Hopefully the Sox can muster up more offense and get him a W.

Wish he could stick and stay, but that isn't in the cards for now. Especially with Lackey coming back.

You jinxed him!

Seriously this kid looks really really good. What a great win in that trade!

Yeah 2 solo bombs =(

But still his poise is awesome and he looks in control even after the bombs. I like what I see, just wish he would stick in the rotation.

He is the type where I have him on my roster for this one spot start and then I will be forced to drop him but then he will get called up later in the season due to injury or next season and then he will really take off and I will be kicking myself for dropping him. I can just see it now.

1 person likes this

Colder weather makes it harder to put sink on the ball. The two homers tonight are going to be the exception for this guy not the rule. Def a good start none the less and agree my staff sure could use this guy. I read somewhere though where a red Sox official expects him up in June for good and I think Pete gammons expects July. So not really much longer if they do indeed send him back down.

Colder weather makes it harder to put sink on the ball. The two homers tonight are going to be the exception for this guy not the rule. Def a good start none the less and agree my staff sure could use this guy. I read somewhere though where a red Sox official expects him up in June for good and I think Pete gammons expects July. So not really much longer if they do indeed send him back down.

Wonder who they plan on replacing so they insert him in? Doubront? Lackey?

Left two meat balls right down the middle. Otherwise, his stuff looked pretty good, tho he was facing KC. Probably not quite ready but should be back up in the bigs, probably around July

He should probably be up over Lackey at this point. He's proven to be a massive overpay and mediocre. Webster > Lackey IMO.

3 people like this

He is the type where I have him on my roster for this one spot start and then I will be forced to drop him but then he will get called up later in the season due to injury or next season and then he will really take off and I will be kicking myself for dropping him. I can just see it now.

I agree. I picked him up in a 16 team dynasty league and I need the roster space given the large number of innings pitched we need to qualify pitching stats each week but I don't want to drop him either.

His call-up date has a lot to do with how the Sox do I think. If they keep doing well -- as opposed to predictions pre-season they would be mired in the celler by now -- and Lackey continues to build on his "servicible" first start (8 K's in 5 innings I think it was), then they probably keep Webster down on the farm longer. Mgt still is stubborn about the "value" of the Lackey trade.

But pitching arms are fragile and, like they always say, these things tend to work themselves out. I just hope they work themselves out sooner then later. I'd rather see Webster in the rotation over Lackey any day. Even Doubront because Doubront is like Jekyl/Hyde out there with good games followed by bad ones and has a hard time lasting past the 5th inning even during one of his good games which is a constant strain on the bullpen all the time with him.

unfortunately Lackey is locked into a rotation spot when he's healthy (which admittedly is a huge question mark). I don't see them demoting Doubront; Webster is a dynasty-only stash