Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

farfanalianzalima

Anthony Rendon 2013 Outlook

808 posts in this topic

With Zimmerman heading to the DL, Rendon is on his way up to the big club to fill in. He's not going to come up to sit, so he'll likely be out there every day. He was always billed as a top hitter and probably should have gone #1 in the draft. Any thoughts for him? He's at least worth a speculative pick up in any format.

will he stay or sent down when zimm is back?

If he does well, I'd say he has a chance to stick if they move him to 2B to replace Espinosa. But in all likelihood they'll send him back down.

Havent seen him play before, what are some comparisons?

well hes a line drive hitter with potential to have a 300 average over a full season. The power isnt exactly there yet but if he can just get a little more power in his swing i think he can be a 20 hr hitter as well. Skys the limit for this kid and i suggest you get on board

If he does well, I'd say he has a chance to stick if they move him to 2B to replace Espinosa. But in all likelihood they'll send him back down.

Yea I don't see that happening. Espinosa is one of the best defensive 2B in baseball and he's not exactly useless offensively.

I don't see a spot for him once Zimmerman returns. That said, those of us who have owned an injured Zimmerman know the drill. Who knows how long he'll be out.

So happy to see this guy get recalled. And also happy to see Dunn get off my roster for him.

As a Longo owner I am lurking to see if I should add this kid to my bench and kick M Moose to the curb. The kid has elite talent and he's had some of his own injury issues in the past, but the skills are there. Excited either way

Evan Longoria with a better eye and slightly less power.

Yea I don't see that happening. Espinosa is one of the best defensive 2B in baseball and he's not exactly useless offensively.

Rendon has quite a bit more upside than Espinosa. One way or another, they're going to make room for him next season. They'll either move Zimmerman to first or trade Espinosa.

I'd say a lot less power at this stage. Rendon has dealt with some injuries in his young career which blurs his power potential, but Longoria hit almost 30 HRs in about 550 ABs the year before his call up. He profiles as a great doubles hitter but his power may take some time to get over 20. You never know with prospects, some guys just take off but his profile says he's not in Longoria's class in his power ceiling yet, and he may never be....

This guy was thee elite bat of his draft and the consensus #1 overall pick until the injuries. His bat at 2B is elite and at 3B is strong to elite. His big problem is that he's frequently injured.

i love when people post the differences between two player in order to compare them

I'd say a lot less power at this stage. Rendon has dealt with some injuries in his young career which blurs his power potential, but Longoria hit almost 30 HRs in about 550 ABs the year before his call up. He profiles as a great doubles hitter but his power may take some time to get over 20. You never know with prospects, some guys just take off but his profile says he's not in Longoria's class in his power ceiling yet, and he may never be....

I think this is fair. He's a guy I could see hitting .300 with 20HR and .380OBP and an OPS in the mid .800s. At either 2B or 3B that's a great impact bat.

Based on the responses in this thread he doesn't sound all that appealing.

His ceiling with the bat would leave him only behind Cano at 2B and in the mix with Sandoval/Lawrie/Zimmerman at 3B. That's pretty worth getting excited about.

i love when people post the differences between two player in order to compare them

I agree. A better comp is BJ Upton, with less speed, a better eye, and a different skin tone.

2 people like this

He's a elite prospect with 15-20 hr potential to go with a good average and OBP. His ops should be good. But he's not gonna come in and drop a ton of HRs. He's got 40-50 doubles power over a full slate of ABs.

His only knock is health, but he's healthy. If he gets 2B eligibility he is gold.

There is a reason he was getting time this year at 2B and SS.

Likely two week tryout to see if he hits, if so then he slides over to 2B if Espinosa continues to suck. Maybe even a super utility role but that is a bit of a stretch.

I think this is fair. He's a guy I could see hitting .300 with 20HR and .380OBP and an OPS in the mid .800s. At either 2B or 3B that's a great impact bat.

He should hit. He hit at Rice, and he's hit a bit in the minors. He was considered the best hitter in his draft with an advanced approach at the plate and a good understanding of the zone. Great eye and walk rate. He should be able to hit in time (dependent on how long he's up) and profiles as a .300ish or better hitter. His power? I'd say 20 HRs is doable but fairly aggressive. 12-15 is probably more apt in his development at this time but you never know. I will say that he doesn't run a lot. No SBs except for Rookie ball and had 13 out of 18 his last year at Rice. Still, 3b is a very shallow and as a lottery ticket, in most 12+ team leagues, he should be picked up or anyone struggling at 3b. He could be Posey at 3b. He could be back down in 3 weeks. Just will take time to see....

His ceiling with the bat would leave him only behind Cano at 2B and in the mix with Sandoval/Lawrie/Zimmerman at 3B. That's pretty worth getting excited about.

I' m sorry I should have "for this year". Long term he may indeed be top notch, but for this year it sounds pretty ordinary.

I agree. A better comp is BJ Upton, with less speed, a better eye, and a different skin tone.

I love when comments contribute to the discussion.

Being a Zimmerman owner made the decision easy. Anthony Rendon, step right up!