Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crazy47larry

2013 NBA Draft Thread

445 posts in this topic

Figured it would be a good time to start this up. It pains me to say this but the RW Mock recently posted by Alexander might be the worst I have seen so far. I have no problem with thinking outside the box but unless he is a seer there are some very odd things about it.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nba/43087/34/nba-mock-draft-version-1

I think the fact that it is a mock draft as opposed to a big board-type ranking give him some license to go a little crazy, which I am sure he used, but I struggle to see McLemore dropping out of the top 3, let alone down to 9th overall.

Anybody got any sleepers lined up? Who is overrated? Wanna take a shot at the top 10? Top 20? Top 30? This draft is supposedly one of the weakest in years, and with people dropping out you can't help but get that sense.

I for one am curious about Glen Rice Jr. Its not that I expect him to be great but his situation seems pretty unique. I don't know how many players get drafted from the D-League.

Oh yeah I consolidated a couple lists and came up with this top 10. It is big board style and has no bearing whatsoever with who I think will get drafted where.

(1) PF/C - Nerlens Noel

(2) SG - Ben McLemore

(3) SF/PF - Anthony Bennett

(4) SF - Otto Porter

(5) SG/SF - Victor Oladipo

(6) PG - Trey Burke

(7) C - Cody Zeller

(8) SF - Shabazz Muhammed

(9) C - Alex Len

(10) PG - Michael Carter-Williams

(1) PF/C - Nerlens Noel - Don't like him. Even before the injury, his impact was minimal. Kentucky sucked. Nothing like the impact Anthony Davis and Greg Oden had on their respective teams.

(2) SG - Ben McLemore -I don't get it. I really don't.

(3) SF/PF - Anthony Bennett - I like his upside the most.

(4) SF - Otto Porter - Best value pick. Also the safest pick.

(5) SG/SF - Victor Oladipo - Tony Allen?

(6) PG - Trey Burke - Another small, shoot first, point guard. Yawn.

(7) C - Cody Zeller - Right.

(8) SF - Shabazz Muhammed - ShaScam. Reminds me of the hype Xavier Henry had when he came out of high school. First class chucker.

(9) C - Alex Len - Another Project. Yawn.

(10) PG - Michael Carter-Williams- This guy thinks he's #1 in this draft. :lol:

Some others I'm keeping an eye on,

Shane Larkin - He's small, but I'd take him before Carter-Williams and Burke, imho.

Kelly Olynyk - Raef Lafrentz!!!

Glenn Robinson III

I like Porter and Burke the most. McLemore showed flashes of being really special, but was woefully inconsistent. Porter has a game that should translate to the NBA well. Very long, can shoot the three ball, put it on the floor, rebounds well. Burke isn't shoot first IMO. He set up his teammates with some terrific looks in the tournament. His size is a bit of a concern, but he's going to be a player at the next level IMO.

Noel should be a solid defensive player, block a lot of shots, but the offensive game is really far behind. Depends on a team's needs, but I don't think his impact was minimal this past year. Kentucky had a bunch of dogs on its team this year (Pothyress, Goodwin) and they completely fell apart when Noel went out. He was a monster defensively. He's not close to Anthony Davis offensively, but is similar to him defensively.

I have concerns over Bennett. He's a big time tweener. He's about 6-7, 6-8, solid athlete. But I think he's going to be a tweener at the next level. He didn't dominate the Mountain West in conference play at all and was content to take tons of jumpers. Mountain West is a solid conference, but he disappeared at times.

Muhammad is brutal. So selfish. The Kings would be a perfect fit for him. Makes Michael Bustley look like Chris Paul.

Marcus Smart staying really hurt this draft class. He would've been the front runner for rookie of the year. In any case, I do like Oladipo a little if he continues to develop his offensive game. He's very disruptive defensively, so steals will be the biggest part of his fantasy contributions. He'll also provide decent rebounds for a SG and is capable of helping in 3s.

Oh yeah I consolidated a couple lists and came up with this top 10. It is big board style and has no bearing whatsoever with who I think will get drafted where.

(1) PF/C - Nerlens Noel..... A mutt. The fact he is a consensus #1 tells you everything you need to know.

(2) SG - Ben McLemore..... Will be rookie of the year. A Dwayne Wade type of player.

(3) SF/PF - Anthony Bennett

(4) SF - Otto Porter......Vastly overrated. A rotation player at best.

(5) SG/SF - Victor Oladipo.....Will have a solid NBA career

(6) PG - Trey Burke.....Will never be a star but will help a team

(7) C - Cody Zeller....Can't play

(8) SF - Shabazz Muhammed....NBA body and game,just needs to get his head straight

(9) C - Alex Len....Can't play

(10) PG - Michael Carter-Williams

McLemore isn't similar to Wade at all. McLemore is a knockdown jump shooter, isn't great at creating off the dribble or for teammates. Pretty explosive athlete, but not the playmaker Wade is in any way.

Posted · Hidden by Tarheels_2433, April 25, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Figured it would be a good time to start this up. It pains me to say this but the RW Mock recently posted by Alexander might be the worst I have seen so far. I have no problem with thinking outside the box but unless he is a seer there are some very odd things about it.

http://www.rotoworld...draft-version-1

I think the fact that it is a mock draft as opposed to a big board-type ranking give him some license to go a little crazy, which I am sure he used, but I struggle to see McLemore dropping out of the top 3, let alone down to 9th overall.

Anybody got any sleepers lined up? Who is overrated? Wanna take a shot at the top 10? Top 20? Top 30? This draft is supposedly one of the weakest in years, and with people dropping out you can't help but get that sense.

I for one am curious about Glen Rice Jr. Its not that I expect him to be great but his situation seems pretty unique. I don't know how many players get drafted from the D-League.

I can't believe the guy who wrote that article gets paid to write about sports. Len, Zeller, Plumlee, And Olynyk all in the top 12? Really?Because white college players have such a great recent history translating to the NBA. None of those guys can play and all four would be wasted picks unless you could grab them in the second round.

Posted · Hidden by Tarheels_2433, April 25, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

I can't believe the guy who wrote that article gets paid to write about sports. Len, Zeller, Plumlee, And Olynyk all in the top 12? Really?Because white college players have such a great recent history translating to the NBA. None of those guys can play and all four would be wasted picks unless you could grab them in the second round.

Dismissing 4 guys just because of skin color really makes you lose credibility as a poster.

I am trying to figure out who is a good comp for Nerlens Noel. Most people say Davis even though they really are nothing alike in my eyes. The only thing they have in common is copious amounts of blocks but thats about it. Davis is a better player across the board but I mean its not like this is news to anyone, it just seems like because Noel went to the same school people often bring it up. I am hoping he can be a Larry Sanders type player but Sanders is a freakish athlete. Noel is highly athletic too but Sanders is an NBA freak which is a different animal. Another comp is Tyson Chandler which makes a lot of sense too. Either way these guys are raw offensively and their sole focus is help defense and controlling the paint. Hell Chandler is still raw on offense and he has been in the league for a long time.

I know people keep knocking Shabazz, and I don't blame them, but maybe if he starts his career with a chip on his shoulder he could evolve a little quicker. Plus being the 'go to guy' for a major college program to being 'a piece of the puzzle' might let him expand his game easier. He wouldn't have to focus on the major parts of initiating and leading and the game could just come to him. I do worry that the adjustment from being a me-first chucker to an NBA rookie (READ: Consummate Team Player) might be too much though. Even then I think he could be a good 6th man type with that mentality, but that is ideally a worst case scenario.

Bennett's size concerns dont worry me as much as the consensus it seems. He is a productive player and he should still be one. A guy like Derrick Williams does kind of worry me. I don't know how similar they are but it is cause for caution. I try not to let size discount value a whole lot. I know size is one of the most important factors of growth in the NBA but a guy like Bennett should be productive even as an undersized 4 (I don't know how realistic it is for him to play the 3 in the NBA, some people wiser than myself seem to think its possible).

Dismissing 4 guys just because of skin color really makes you lose credibility as a poster.

Really? Because that's exactly why I'm dismissing them. If you're using a top 12pick on a guy you want a guy who at least has a chance to be an impact player in the league. Please list for me the white AMERICAN players drafted in the last 20years who have had an impact. Oh and before you say Kevin Love, How much of an impact has he had as the wolves have yet to get to the playoffs with him and are annually one of the biggest jokes in the league. No, the truth is, No matter how much you don't like it, that using a lottery pick on a white American college player is a wasted pick.

Really? Because that's exactly why I'm dismissing them. If you're using a top 12pick on a guy you want a guy who at least has a chance to be an impact player in the league. Please list for me the white AMERICAN players drafted in the last 20years who have had an impact. Oh and before you say Kevin Love, How much of an impact has he had as the wolves have yet to get to the playoffs with him and are annually one of the biggest jokes in the league. No, the truth is, No matter how much you don't like it, that using a lottery pick on a white American college player is a wasted pick.

Here is a list of a few white NBA players who have certainly carved out very solid NBA careers. And if we compare their production/careers to the average lottery pick, 1-14, they match up quite well.

David Lee

Brent Barry

JJ Redick

Steve Nash

Kirk Hinrich

Luke Ridnour

Troy Murphy

Dunleavy Jr

Chandler Parsons

Chris Kaman

Nick Collison

Steve Blake

Kyle Korver

Wally Szczerbiak

Keith Van Horn

Eric Piatkowski

Shawn Bradley

Tyler Hansbrough

I get it, that white players are in the minority, but to completely dismiss a player's potential impact because he's white is probably the dumbest argument I've heard on these boards, ever. The problem isn't that white players can't play, they can. It's that there's so few that enter the draft, that when 1 or 2 of them fail, it gets more attention.

It's a weak draft. There are plenty of prospects, white and black, who may be drafted higher than they should be.

1 person likes this

Thanks for helping to make my point for me. Other than Nash, there isn't a difference maker on that list, And a lot of those guys were lotterylottery picks and high lottery picks at that. How many all star appearances from that group? Other than Nash, none. How many all nba first,second or third team appearances. Other than Nash, none. What You gave me is a list of ROLE players and that is my point. If you draft a white college player the BEST you are gonna get is a role player. There isn't a player on that list other than Nash to even sniff being a top 50 player in the league at any time.

Steve Alexander is a bum. He has no business writing for rotoworld. He must be a really nice guy. Anthony Randolph anyone? (plenty, and i mean PLENTY of more examples)

Thanks for helping to make my point for me. Other than Nash, there isn't a difference maker on that list, And a lot of those guys were lotterylottery picks and high lottery picks at that. How many all star appearances from that group? Other than Nash, none. How many all nba first,second or third team appearances. Other than Nash, none. What You gave me is a list of ROLE players and that is my point. If you draft a white college player the BEST you are gonna get is a role player. There isn't a player on that list other than Nash to even sniff being a top 50 player in the league at any time.

Well I'd love to see the percentages on white college players who were difference makers, role players, and busts vs that of blacks. Would be interesting to see.

I'm under the impression that white players are generally undervalued. You have to remember most top lottery picks are busts/role players. In good years you get 3-4 difference makers in the lottery, some years you only get 1.

Wow... You know out of the 2 asian players that got drafted lottery 1 of them became a legit difference maker. Does that mean we should draft only asian players in the lottery because 1/2 of them have been difference makers? Name another race that gets you that amazing of ratios.

Well I'd love to see the percentages on white college players who were difference makers, role players, and busts vs that of blacks. Would be interesting to see.

I'm under the impression that white players are generally undervalued. You have to remember most top lottery picks are busts/role players. In good years you get 3-4 difference makers in the lottery, some years you only get 1.

I'll be giving you that breakdown in the near future.

You are right there are not a lot of different makers most years, but the ones there are are not white American born college players.

You are right there are not a lot of different makers most years, but the ones there are are not white American born college players.

Yeah but even if it's just Kevin Love and Steve Nash since 1996, how many is that out of? Obviously there are A LOT more african american difference makers but a lot more are drafted too. I do think Love is a difference maker.

Also, you can't swing for the fences in every pick you make in the lottery. Sometimes you just have to get the best player available to help your team or who has only decent more sure upside.

I have a huge hard on for Shane Battier. If I have the 8th pick and theres a 1/10 I get a difference maker vs 100% chance at Battier's career... I'd probably go with Battier. If your team has 0 future stars (like perhaps the bobcats) now I think it makes more sense to swing for the fences. I like the idea of taking Noel.... sucking for another year anyway, then getting another top pick.

If you're a lottery team like the Blazers or the Raptors, it might make more sense to take someone who will for sure be a contributor soon.

Yeah but even if it's just Kevin Love and Steve Nash since 1996, how many is that out of? Obviously there are A LOT more african american difference makers but a lot more are drafted too. I do think Love is a difference maker.

Also, you can't swing for the fences in every pick you make in the lottery. Sometimes you just have to get the best player available to help your team or who has only decent more sure upside.

I have a huge hard on for Shane Battier. If I have the 8th pick and theres a 1/10 I get a difference maker vs 100% chance at Battier's career... I'd probably go with Battier. If your team has 0 future stars (like perhaps the bobcats) now I think it makes more sense to swing for the fences. I like the idea of taking Noel.... sucking for another year anyway, then getting another top pick.

If you're a lottery team like the Blazers or the Raptors, it might make more sense to take someone who will for sure be a contributor soon.

Love is far and away the best white college lottery pick in the last 23 years, but Is he really an impact player. Yes he gets a lot of stats, but the Wolves are just as bad since he got there as they were before. What difference has he really made?

If love isn't an impact player, I don't know who is.

Definitely a pretty weak draft class this year. One thing I'll point out is that I see a lot of people don't like Alex Len in the lottery and I'll just say I actually think he's a pretty good pick. He is really talented offensively, reminds me a lot of Brook Lopez. I think in a draft that isn't loaded with anything special (or any prospects that have high upside potential), you could do much worse than take a legit 7 foot center who is advanced from a skillset viewpoint.

He even could be a fantasy sleeper next year if he ends up in the right situation where minutes are available.

Love is far and away the best white college lottery pick in the last 23 years, but Is he really an impact player. Yes he gets a lot of stats, but the Wolves are just as bad since he got there as they were before. What difference has he really made?

I'll put this pretty simply. It's a team game. If you're a top 5 pick in fantasy basketball, you're a massive impact player in the NBA. I'd probably say all first round picks are.

Very few players can make a team a winning team all by himself. VERY few. And if that's going to be your definition of a difference maker, then there's probably only been a dozen or less in NBA History.

If Kevin Love isn't an impact player, you're reaching. Look at every draft in the last 23 years and count how many "impact" players get drafted every year. The percentage is small. Most teams in the the lottery hope, at the very least, that their pick ends up as solid NBA contributor. Anything more is icing on the cake. Of course, the higher the pick, especially the first couple picks, the higher the expectations. But here, we're talking about picks 10-14?

The players I've listed are all, or were, solid NBA players. More so than the majority of top 10 picks in the NBA in the past 3 decades. Your argument basically holds white players to a higher standard than other races.

And fyi, every player I listed was selected as a lottery pick.

Really? The Wolves sucked before he got there. The Wolves have sucked since he got there. So what impact has he had? He's never played in a playoff game.