Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JFS171

Robbie Grossman 2013 Outlook

26 posts in this topic

Wouldn't be shocked if this guy surprised some people. He was one of the prospects acquired by the Astros last year in the Wandy Rodridguez deal with Pittsburgh, and while his future is likely as a 4th OF, the Astros are essentially rolling out a AAA lineup.

Think of Grossman as Adam Eaton-lite. He's got some pop (44 XBH, including 10 HRs, in 485 ABs last year in AA) and some speed (13 SBs last year in AA, though he was caught 11 times, indicating either he really needs to refine his approach, or his speed may not translate). But what really makes him valuable is his ability to get on base, driven by his high walk rate (121/77 K/BB rate in 2012). In fact, his OBPs by year (2009 - 2012) are .373, .344, .418, .376. It's also conceivable the power could play up in Houston's bandbox.

This year in AAA, he was hitting .324/.452/.353 with a couple of steals. With Maxwell's broken hand, Grossman has a legit shot at everyday playing time and locking down the leadoff spot, leading to solid run production.

He's not for everyone, but he's worth keeping an eye on..

2 people like this

I didn't know the Sex Cannon played baseball too. He has a rifle for an arm. Uh oh, he's going deep.

Wouldn't be shocked if this guy surprised some people. He was one of the prospects acquired by the Astros last year in the Wandy Rodridguez deal with Pittsburgh, and while his future is likely as a 4th OF, the Astros are essentially rolling out a AAA lineup.

Think of Grossman as Adam Eaton-lite. He's got some pop (44 XBH, including 10 HRs, in 485 ABs last year in AA) and some speed (13 SBs last year in AA, though he was caught 11 times, indicating either he really needs to refine his approach, or his speed may not translate). But what really makes him valuable is his ability to get on base, driven by his high walk rate (121/77 K/BB rate in 2012). In fact, his OBPs by year (2009 - 2012) are .373, .344, .418, .376. It's also conceivable the power could play up in Houston's bandbox.

This year in AAA, he was hitting .324/.452/.353 with a couple of steals. With Maxwell's broken hand, Grossman has a legit shot at everyday playing time and locking down the leadoff spot, leading to solid run production.

He's not for everyone, but he's worth keeping an eye on..

Eaton is a pretty strange comp. I don't see anything similar about them really. In 2011, Grossman was the 1st minor league since Nick Swisher to walk 100 times and score 100 runs. He has some speed but terrible instincts, and has what most would consider gap power. His main offensive skill is his batting eye, however I can see him hitting for a real low average as his contact rates remain far to low.

last week he batted 320 with a few steals...i am in a real deep league and think he can stick around when everyone comes back. They can use him and altuve at the top of the lineup or is he just a stop-gap guy?

I picked him up on Sunday. Has a hit every game so far and I have loved him the last two days. Stealing bases, showed some power today. Very happy.

I don't think he's going to provide much fantasy value. Numbers in the minors aren't impressive, and he's on the Astros.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, August 7, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Put Kluber on the DL today, and I picked him up. Like what I see so far. He'll get a 2 week try out with my team.

I picked him up since he's playing for the go go Astros. Lots of steal opps there.

Count me as another who picked him up..What the heck..take a chance..spin the wheel....

1 person likes this

Put Kluber on the DL today, and I picked him up. Like what I see so far. He'll get a 2 week try out with my team.

I made the same move as you. DL Kluber and pick up Grossman. Also picked up Villar.

Two astros because f it.

Swiping bags and hitting dingers? Yeah I'm all aboard on this one. I might be a little late to the party but I'll be trotting him out there on Friday.

Geeessshhh, this guy is seeing a beach ball right now, and running...ummmmm...what's not to like here? Him and Villar are making some noise on that Astros offense. Brett Wallace has also been hitting bombs.

One or two more good games and this guy's ownership % will be up to 45/50% after the weekend.

Over before it began....

because of 1 or 2 bad days??

He's the #2 fantasy player in all of baseball over the past 14 days...and the #18 player over the past 7 days.

Was he going to keep that up? Obviously not, but with his patience at the plate, and the way he runs when he gets on base, he'll still have some value...I'm not dropping him till he puts a whole week of poor production together.

1 person likes this

first day on my team (weekly league), and we get a 0-3 with 3Ks start

granted, it's against Darvish and he's dealing right now...but I really hope I'm not too late to the party

granted, it's against Darvish and he's dealing right now...but I really hope I'm not too late to the party

Too late..party is over..not sure why anyone thinks he will continue to produce? Probably AAAA star.

Too late..party is over..not sure why anyone thinks he will continue to produce? Probably AAAA star.

Sure looks that way...

I need to dump him, but don't know whom I should pick up...

Plus I only have five more moves until September 8 (the end of the 22 week regular season at Yahoo!), so I need to use them wisely now...

I reached my acquisition limit this week, and I'm stuck with him till Monday, but yeah, the ride appears to be over.