Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whiskeyriver

Joc Pederson - OF LAD

This kid is doing some work so far this season in AA. 21 years old and has the following line so far:

78 PAs, 18 R, 13 RBI, 5 HRs, 6 SB (0 CS), only 10 Ks, 7 BBs, .314 AVG/.372 OBP/.671 SLG

I was on board prior to the season after his year last season in A+, but it is nice to see the skills translating to a higher level. If he continues this, he'll definitely climb in the prospect rankings this season.

This kid is doing some work so far this season in AA. 21 years old and has the following line so far:

78 PAs, 18 R, 13 RBI, 5 HRs, 6 SB (0 CS), only 10 Ks, 7 BBs, .314 AVG/.372 OBP/.671 SLG

I was on board prior to the season after his year last season in A+, but it is nice to see the skills translating to a higher level. If he continues this, he'll definitely climb in the prospect rankings this season.

Out of Palo Alto HS. His dad had a brief cup of coffee with the Dodgers in the Mid 1980's (Stu Pederson)

Scouts haven't been overly high on him....but he just seems to be a pure ball player. I've been watching him since his first season, and hoping. Wasn't sure of him going into this year, and doubted the upside. But he just plays and plays.

I doubt we're looking at a perennial stud fantasy producer, but this kid could be a solid big leaguer for a long time.

Still having a great season.

.328/.400/.613, 7 HRs, 9 doubles, 2 triples, 8 SBs (1 CS), 15/23 BB/K

Between Pederson and Puig, I think it's safe to say Ethier won't be wearing Dodger Blue for too much longer.

At what point do you question the scouting reports, and just look at the incredible (and consistent) results? I picked him up in my dynasty league and I'm not letting go unless he completely flops the rest of the season.

Possible call up soon. Look at this line:

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said Wednesday that the club has discussed calling up prospect outfielders Yasiel Puig and Joc Pederson.

Very interesting. However, while the Dodgers are struggling to score runs, it's hard to see a great fit for playing time as long as Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, and Carl Crawford are healthy. Puig, 22, is batting .314/.385/.579 with six homers and a .964 OPS through 32 games this season with Double-A Chattanooga. Pederson has been even better, batting .327/.400/.554 with eight homers, 13 stolen bases and a .954 OPS.

Man... critics are tough.. Going just by stats, this guy looks even better than yelich... and he would be playing a better park.

Man... critics are tough.. Going just by stats, this guy looks even better than yelich... and he would be playing a better park.

I definitely agree with that statement. He has been more impressive than Yelich so far, so why isn't he getting the same attention? I suppose because he is further from a callup, but still. He is a guy who could be playing at the major league level, I just hope he gets his chance soon. I really dislike seeing great prospects have to wait in AAA when they could be contributing to their major league team. I would not look too deeply into Mattingly's statement, they shelled out big bucks for their outfield so the only way Puig or Pederson get any time is if they either DH for a game or two, or if one of the Dodger's outfielders gets injured. I'm hoping for a trade. If they could get sent somewhere that needs help in the outfield that would be great for us fantasy players.

Yea but minor league stats aren't the only thing scouts look at

Oh I know, that's why i said "going just by stats". I was trying to see if someone would chime in and give other reasons why Joc is so much less touted than Yelich.

Oh I know, that's why i said "going just by stats". I was trying to see if someone would chime in and give other reasons why Joc is so much less touted than Yelich.

Pedigree. Yelich maybe more well regarded by scouts? Hey, it's a crap shoot when they reach the majors.

Looking at those numbers are Yelich and Pederson the same guy? Also, how would you all rank the three in terms of talent and ETA?

Pedigree. Yelich maybe more well regarded by scouts? Hey, it's a crap shoot when they reach the majors.

Pedigree isn't everything.

I'm thinking from the overall impression I get from hearing people talk about Pederson is that he is an all-out hustle never take a game off kind of guy. Which means he works hard for everything he gets. The potential of Pederson is not the same as the potential for Yelich. I think thats why you aren't seeing Pederson talked about as much as Yelich

I'm thinking from the overall impression I get from hearing people talk about Pederson is that he is an all-out hustle never take a game off kind of guy. Which means he works hard for everything he gets. The potential of Pederson is not the same as the potential for Yelich. I think thats why you aren't seeing Pederson talked about as much as Yelich

so you're saying we should like yelich better because he doesn't work as hard?

From what i know (not much) Pederson has more team control, financial issues than Puig due to Puig's 7 year million dollar deal. So maybe he is the last to get the call.

I sure hope every minor leaguer is working as hard as this kid is. All minor leaguers want a shot at the big leagues and if you're not trying as hard as you can to make that major league roster there is a problem. I don't care how high your ceiling is, if you're not giving it 100% it will show. The fact he gives it his all and Yelich doesn't (from what you're saying) makes me like Pederson more and Yelich less.

Ignore that post. They're both 21. Maybe he'll get the call up during the interleague games when Ethier can DH.

I dig that the dude's low season is a .396 OBP.

And that even in his very brief, three game sample in 2010, he went 0 for 7... but still finished with a .417 OBP, owing to the 4 BB he drew.

Not too hard to understand. Yelich has more potential than Pederson

and what evidence are you basing this assumption on?

Not too hard to understand. Yelich has more potential than Pederson

That is an opinion. Looking at their numbers now I'd say Pederson is actually outperforming Yelich. I take it you're judging potential based on how they were drafted.

Numbers are nice but not always indicative of talent when in the minors.

Numbers are nice but not always indicative of talent when in the minors.

And neither is pedigree and hype.

Evaluating prospects involves a bunch of things. Some things I look at are ratios, attitude, batting stance/pitching stance, the 'eye test, if the guy has had any run ins with authority or teammates, how the guy adapts to difficult situations, and of course their minor league stats although I admit to valuing other attributions more than just numbers. If you rank a player higher than another simply because they have 8 homers rather than the 4 homers of another guy then you are missing lots of important data.