Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whiskeyriver

Joc Pederson - OF LAD

While I agree that they should just sit one of those guys and play Joc Pederson, its easier said then done. All the Dodgers fans want Pederson to play right now, but they also know that you can't just bring someone up when there are 4 guys playing that position. Trust me I want Ethier or Crawford to get traded away more than anything and to a lesser degree Kemp as well. Dodgers gotta trade someone or someone has to go on the DL. If they trade their prospects like Joc or Seager, it better be for someone better than Lester.

not a chance dodgers trade pederson for lester lol.

I wouldn't give their FO a ton of credit. Look at the contracts they gave Kemp and Ethier, and they bailed the Red Sox out by taking on Crawford's albatross of a contract.

It could definitely happen. Most organizations, contenders and non-contenders alike, would have called up Pederson weeks ago. Not the Dodgers. Not the brightest bunch, if you ask me. I'm sure they'd rather trade Kemp, but trading Pederson isn't out of the question. Not with Colletti's dubious track record.

Kemp's deal wasn't that bad considering he was one of the best players in baseball. Either way I'm pretty sure Dodger's FO changed alot over the past few years (ownership change?). Dodger's pitching is already good, why would they trade their best prospect for another pitcher who is probably going to be their 4th best, a rental at that. If Ethier , Kemp aren't looked at as long term right now and the team can't wait to get rid of them, whos the next OF that takes their place?

They're not the brightest bunch because they didn't call up a prospect? Don't you realize their OF is crowded and bringing up another one can possibly hurt the clubhouse. Dodgers are first place in their division. People want prospects to be called up because of their fantasy teams. Heard that so many times on these forums.

No, they're not the brightest bunch because they massively overpaid Ethier and Crawford and are now forced to play both of them over someone more deserving who could actually help out the team.

They're spending money like it's made of candy. Hard to promote prospects when they're blocked at every turn, and you literally can't unload players who aren't much more than dead weight.

I agree the Either Deal is horrible. But your playing revisionist history with Crawford. That deal was about getting A Gon. Crawford and Beckett were apart of package to get him.

(and taking a chance on Beckett has been working for them this year)

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, July 30, 2014 - No Reason
Hidden by phatrat, July 30, 2014 - No Reason

Just dropped in one of my leagues two days before the deadline..... What is the point of holding if you are dropping right before he could potentially see playing time? I don't get some people

Posted · Hidden by phatrat, July 30, 2014 - No Reason
Hidden by phatrat, July 30, 2014 - No Reason

Just dropped in one of my leagues two days before the deadline..... What is the point of holding if you are dropping right before he could potentially see playing time? I don't get some people

So grab him then

Pederson not dangled for Lester?

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/dodger-report/post/_/id/11434/source-joc-pederson-not-being-dangled-for-jon-lester?utm_source=dlvr.it

LOS ANGELES -- The Boston Red Sox have a contingency plan in place should Jon Lester be traded before his scheduled Wednesday night start. Red Sox manager John Farrell told reporters the team would call up Brandon Workman from Triple-A Pawtucket in such a scenario.

Could Lester, in fact, make his next start for the Los Angeles Dodgers, who have yet to announce a starter for Saturday's game? Rumors continue to swirl that the Dodgers are in discussions about Lester, but one scenario -- that they would trade top outfield prospect Joc Pederson in a deal for Lester -- was shot down by a Dodgers source Tuesday.

Boston has had minimal offensive production from its outfielders this season and has few minor-league options on the horizon.

"I'm not expecting anything huge," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said about trade possibilities before Tuesday night's series opener against the Atlanta Braves. "We just want to keep our club going the way we want it to go."

Josh Beckett's performance Tuesday night could impact the urgency general manager Ned Colletti approaches discussions for a starting pitcher. If Beckett returns to his April-through-June form and his bothersome left hip holds up, Colletti might feel more comfortable standing pat. The team is skipping Dan Haren's spot in the rotation -- thus Saturday's vacancy -- hoping the rest will allow him to pitch as well as he did early in the season.

Colletti has also said he's in search of help for the bullpen.

shot down by a Dodgers source?

Mattingly doesn't expect anything big, but he's the manager so I doubt he would be in on trade talks.

If Red Sox trade for Pederson, I think it would be terrible. He would get Betts treatment or stay in AAA. It would clutter the OF even more. Only way it'd work is if Sox also send over Nava and Gomes or some other combination like that.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, July 30, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, July 30, 2014 - No reason given

picked him up. praying for the perfect storm.

If Red Sox trade for Pederson, I think it would be terrible. He would get Betts treatment or stay in AAA. It would clutter the OF even more. Only way it'd work is if Sox also send over Nava and Gomes or some other combination like that.

Although I don't understand why the Red Sox mishandled the Betts situation, I think they'd get Pederson with the idea that he would have a great shot at being their regular CF coming out of Spring Training in 2015 and maybe Betts would also be in the mix for 2015. In fantasy sports, we all want instant gratification, but major league teams typically have more patience.

Not sure where that would leave Bradley but they could make room.

All I'm saying is that if he goes to Red Sox Pederson's status will still be in limbo and will be hard to own for fantasy, just as Betts was during his brief call up.

Best case scenario is Dodgers trade for Lester but send Pederson somewhere else in a 3 team trade (or send Kemp/Either) somewhere else.

He might end up going to Tampa which would be best case for fantasy owners since he'll be up right away and won't be blocked.

He might end up going to Tampa which would be best case for fantasy owners since he'll be up right away and won't be blocked.

I could actually see Tampa being cheap and not bringing him up this year. They did not bring Myers up right away after that offseason trade

this is something I thought about, but I think with the numbers Pederson is putting up that if they put him in a trade for their ace they (the Red Sox, as well as their fans) would expect him to join the big club right away.

Betts was also someone who they were not using full time in the OF so that was just as much about him defensively.

Dodgers aren't trading Pederson... :(

Or Kemp, it would seem. Damn. My hopes have been dashed. Time to drop.

A real shame Pederson is getting the shaft by the Dodgers.

I knew these horrible contracts would soon bite us in the a**. No one's dumb enough to take on the contracts of Kemp, Crawford, or Ethier. Though, I'm still holding out hope one of these guys will be dealt and we just eat the money.

As a Dodger fan, I'm happy Pederson (as well as Seager and Urias) are off the table but this could all just be posturing too. We've seen Ned Colletti make stupid last minute moves before. Like the Carlos Santana for Casey Blake trade a couple years back. *cringe*

I knew these horrible contracts would soon bite us in the a**. No one's dumb enough to take on the contracts of Kemp, Crawford, or Ethier. Though, I'm still holding out hope one of these guys will be dealt and we just eat the money.

As a Dodger fan, I'm happy Pederson (as well as Seager and Urias) are off the table but this could all just be posturing too. We've seen Ned Colletti make stupid last minute moves before. Like the Carlos Santana for Casey Blake trade a couple years back. *cringe*

As a Dodgers Fan too, Im OK with it, better than them not spending. Kemp hasn't been that bad this year and there's no guarantee Joc is an instant stud or anything. Im confident one of them will be dealt in the offseason, even if it means eating a lot of the salary.

To me, only the Ethier contract was horrendous. Guy was clearly past his good years and can only hit righties.

As a Dodgers Fan too, Im OK with it, better than them not spending. Kemp hasn't been that bad this year and there's no guarantee Joc is an instant stud or anything. Im confident one of them will be dealt in the offseason, even if it means eating a lot of the salary.

To me, only the Ethier contract was horrendous. Guy was clearly past his good years and can only hit righties.

The Crawford contract might actually be worse than Ethier's. Look it up some time.

The Crawford contract might actually be worse than Ethier's. Look it up some time.

I'm familiar. Overpay or not, that trade at least made them an instant contender and gave the Dodgers a pretty big offensive upgrade at 1st. Loney needed to go for a while.

Crawford was pretty clutch for them in the playoffs last year. As of now the contracts really havent prevented them from getting an OF from free agency, Hamilton was seems like an equally bad contract or worse. Having 4 OF for 3 spots hasnt been that bad, since rarely have they all been healthy.

Dodgers clearly have some awful contracts, but it aint my money and I dont think it's hurt their spending so far. Lot of money is coming off the books this year too.

Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times is hearing the Dodgers haven't outright refused to talk about top prospects Joc Pederson, Corey Seager or Julio Urias in a trade.

There have been reports that the Dodgers are hesitant to move the trio of top prospects, but Shaikin said the only players they won't be dealt for are two-month rentals. Pederson is arguably the best of the three, batting .319/.448/.587 with 23 homers and 25 steals for Triple-A Albuquerque this season. If the Dodgers do move one or multiple prospects, the return will likely be a top-flight starting pitcher.

Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times is hearing the Dodgers haven't outright refused to talk about top prospects Joc Pederson, Corey Seager or Julio Urias in a trade.

There have been reports that the Dodgers are hesitant to move the trio of top prospects, but Shaikin said the only players they won't be dealt for are two-month rentals. Pederson is arguably the best of the three, batting .319/.448/.587 with 23 homers and 25 steals for Triple-A Albuquerque this season. If the Dodgers do move one or multiple prospects, the return will likely be a top-flight starting pitcher.

The Dodgers already bowed out of trying to get Hamels, Price, or Lester.

It's not going to happen.

Not arguing here but genuinely wondering if and why we are taking the Dodgers FO, or reports from their FO at face value on this? Like, couldn't this all be posturing? I find it hard to believe they don't want to upgrade those last two rotation slots.

Not arguing here but genuinely wondering if and why we are taking the Dodgers FO, or reports from their FO at face value on this? Like, couldn't this all be posturing? I find it hard to believe they don't want to upgrade those last two rotation slots.

You can use a 3 man Rotation in the playoffs. Becket, the no 3 has a 2.74 ERA(granted he hasn't looked good in july). Ryu isn't that bad himself for a 4 starter(and a decent enough 3 if Beckett falls off the table).

Yeah, Haren..is...Haren. But, if push comes to shove. His rotation spot can be skipped at times if they really wanted maximize rotation effectiveness.

Other teams need a rotation upgrade more than the Dodgers. A rental upgrade just isn't worth than Elite level prospect for them..and the Phillies are asking for ALL 3 in exchange for Hamels.