Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whiskeyriver

Joc Pederson - OF LAD

Thing is, before recently he wasn't an elite level prospect. I mean it's certainly snowballed the last couple of weeks to where he's getting treated as one in many circles.

I personally don't understand it. maybe I can understand not wanting to give Pederson straight up for a 2 month rental of just Lester. but to just say absolutely no way to trading Pederson, why? he's blocked this season by FOUR OF on the Dodgers, and he's going to be blocked next season also by the same FOUR OF. they have the prospects to get someone like Price or Hamels, but wont move an OF who might not even be in the majors this season or next season either?

Thing is, before recently he wasn't an elite level prospect. I mean it's certainly snowballed the last couple of weeks to where he's getting treated as one in many circles.

He was the Dodgers' #1 ranked prospect by Baseball America coming into this year and top 40 on most lists... some people had him ranked top 15 coming into 2014. Although maybe that's what you mean by 'before recently.'

I personally don't understand it. maybe I can understand not wanting to give Pederson straight up for a 2 month rental of just Lester. but to just say absolutely no way to trading Pederson, why? he's blocked this season by FOUR OF on the Dodgers, and he's going to be blocked next season also by the same FOUR OF. they have the prospects to get someone like Price or Hamels, but wont move an OF who might not even be in the majors this season or next season either?

I don't know if I agree with this. Eventually the philosophy of playing the guys you feel salary committed to will reach a breaking point, especially if the Dodgers are playing for a World Series championship this year and next.

Barring a relevant trade today, I see no reason why they wouldn't call Joc up in September and find a way to work him into the mix. Just bench whoever else is playing the worst at the time, shouldn't be hard to find a candidate or 3.

If he does well and proves to be both an offensive and defensive upgrade over their next best replacement on the roster, why wouldn't they use him virtually every day during the playoffs? Not fielding the best team you can in favor of fielding whoever is paid the most during the playoffs would not sit well with me if I was a Dodgers fan.

If Joc proves himself throughout this trial process, there is no doubt in my mind SOMETHING will happen during the offseason to make him an everyday player in 2015.

Why does anyone have to forcefully trade or play their top prospect? Dodgers are doing good right now.. Ethier and Crawford are not part of their future plans. As a Dodgers fan I would not want them to trade top prospects for marginal improvement or rentals. IMO they need to improve their bullpen. They will give Pederson a chance end of this season probably.

Major league teams' timetables are not the same as fantasy owners' preference for timetables. Unfortunate, but true.

the Dodgers giving Pederson AB here and there in September, and especially the playoffs, do noting for me and my fantasy team lol.

I'm guessing at this point there's no reason to call up Pederson in August.

Well, it's not impossible for the Dodgers to trade any of their OF still. I assume they'll all pass through waivers unclaimed.

Well, it's not impossible for the Dodgers to trade any of their OF still. I assume they'll all pass through waivers unclaimed.

Kemp is the only OF any team would be interested in (other than Puig, who will not be traded).

The Dodgers will have the same problem next year with Ethier and Crawford - and the year after that - and the year after that - and the year after that with Ethier.

So they can either eat a ton of salary (and I mean like at least 50% of it) from Ethier and/or Crawford to allow a trade or trade Pederson next season.

At some point, you'd think they'd make a decision based on what's best for the team and not in an attempt to save face. Accept the sunk cost and move on, or go down with the ship and enjoy your early postseason exits.

Kemp is the only OF any team would be interested in (other than Puig, who will not be traded).

The Dodgers will have the same problem next year with Ethier and Crawford - and the year after that - and the year after that - and the year after that with Ethier.

So they can either eat a ton of salary (and I mean like at least 50% of it) from Ethier and/or Crawford to allow a trade or trade Pederson next season.

At some point, you'd think they'd make a decision based on what's best for the team and not in an attempt to save face. Accept the sunk cost and move on, or go down with the ship and enjoy your early postseason exits.

I agree. I guess one of the fears could be they waste all of that money let eithier and Crawford go, and Pederson comes up and sucks

I agree. I guess one of the fears could be they waste all of that money let eithier and Crawford go, and Pederson comes up and sucks

But Crawford and Ethier aren't all that good anyways. If Pederson sucks they'll just be in the market for a new OF.

Surprisingly quiet for someone who hit a couple more HRs. up to 26/26 now. Straight beast.

Surprisingly quiet for someone who hit a couple more HRs. up to 26/26 now. Straight beast.

He's not coming up, so no one cares anymore. Myself included. Too disappointed that the Dodgers didn't make room for him or trade him to a team that would actually use him to bring myself to care this season.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, August 15, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, August 15, 2014 - No reason given

#28 tonight

( . ) ( . )

Boobies!

Latest HR was an oppo bomb off a lefty. Hopefully they do something in the offseason to either make room for him everyday or trade him.

Not the same kind of player obviously, but I remember owning Goldschmidt a few years back when he was tearing it up in the minors and all the expert kept saying it wouldn't translate because of his high K rate, he wasn't even considered a top 100 prospect ffs! This guy kind of reminds me of that, although he is actually considered a top prospect, many think he won't hit for a good average in the majors, but he always has hit well and has a pretty good eye!

I think it's a shame this guy couldn't be showcasing what he can do in the majors.

I don't want to hope for an injury, but right now that is about the only chance Pederson has to come up before September.

Hit a hr for the third straight game and made it a combo meal, off a lefty again as well.

Maybe he'll be the first player ever to have two straight 30/30 seasons in the minor leagues. :D

Maybe he'll be the first player ever to have two straight 30/30 seasons in the minor leagues. :D

They are waiting until he is a 40/40 player before bringing him up.

They still have a star studded outfield. Buy them out. Send them packing.