Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

naweinberger

Kuroda for Gomez WHIR

10 posts in this topic

I've been offered Hiroki Kuroda for my Carlos Gomez. See my signature for my league/team details.

Carlos Gomez is hot, but it seems pretty clear that he's not going to keep up this level of production. Kuroda has a sub-3.00 ERA right now. Is there something I'm not seeing or is there reason not to accept this deal? Any thoughts on Kuroda's production ROS?

My other concern is who to drop, as I'll need to pick up another outfielder.

Thanks so much.

Stick with Gomez.

More importantly, you're in an 8 team league and you're starting three catchers. This is rookie mistake #1 of fantasy baseball. I don't care what great steal you got on them, you need to move two of them. You want ONE catcher or you're just shooting yourself in the foot.

Why is this a rookie mistake? Posey is due for a good season after winning NL MVP. Mauer is sporting a .429 OBP. Yadier's average is up above .300, so if an offer comes in, I listen, but I wouldn't have taken B.J. Upton or Jason Kipnis over him at draft time. If it's a speed issue, I've still won SB 3 out of 4 times.

That doesn't mean I haven't been trying to move Molina anyway - I've been making offers left and right.

Not trying to be super defensive, I just don't get why this is shooting myself in the foot. Is it an injury thing?

Thanks for the advice.

Gomez.

Why is this a rookie mistake?

Because while Mauer is an outstanding C, he's not a good 1B. In my league (different settings, sure, but we do use OBP, so it's similar) Mauer is the #16 1B. Sure, his OBP is great -- but he's killing you in the other categories.

Yadi would rank 14th vs. the 1Bs.

And you are in an 8 team league. So do you want the #16 1B in a league that "starts" 8? Not really. Granted, in an 8 team league you will also have a hard time getting "fair" value because someone may prefer to ride it out with a Lucroy rather than "pay" for Mauer.

Why is this a rookie mistake? Posey is due for a good season after winning NL MVP. Mauer is sporting a .429 OBP. Yadier's average is up above .300, so if an offer comes in, I listen, but I wouldn't have taken B.J. Upton or Jason Kipnis over him at draft time. If it's a speed issue, I've still won SB 3 out of 4 times.

That doesn't mean I haven't been trying to move Molina anyway - I've been making offers left and right.

Not trying to be super defensive, I just don't get why this is shooting myself in the foot. Is it an injury thing?

Thanks for the advice.

Mauer's OBP and average will always be elite, but he also will give you about 10 home runs, 75 RBIs, 80 runs, and a couple steals maybe. That is great for a catcher, but it is a weak 1B.

Yadier Molina will finish with around a .350 OBP, 70 RBIs, 65 runs, a handful of steals. A great catcher, but poor DH.

Even Buster Posey will "only" have around a .370 OBP, 20 home runs, 80 RBIs, 70 runs. According to ESPN, Posey was drafted as the 16th player off the board in the preseason. He was sandwiched in ADP between Justin Upton and David Wright. Look at it this way, if the owners who drafted Posey and Upton get Buster Posey's stats out of them, they will be very disappointed.

Aside from missing out on players who will put up better stats for your team, it is extremely easy to fill your catcher position late in the draft of an 8-team league.