Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

K.Heart

Gio Bernard 2013 Season Outlook

1,505 posts in this topic

I figured it's time to get the hype started. Bernard on the Bengals means he should be a top 3 fantasy rookie pick. I fully expect him to win the majority of the RB touches. The only concern here is his health. He's seemingly almost always dinged up. Regardless, I love his situation and talent.

1 person likes this

Benjarvus Green-Ellis was very disappointing last year. The only thing stopping me from dropping him was his 20 carries a game. But even then, he was very disappointing. Can anyone comment on how the Bengals oline was last year?

Notable games from BGE last year:

21 carries/75 yards - 3.6 ypc

17 carries/38 yards/TD - 2.2 ypc, fumble lost

26 carries/82 yards - 3.2 ypc, 2 fumbles(1 lost)

9 carries/14 yards - 1.6 ypc

17 carries/56 yards/TD - 3.3 ypc

15 carries/50 yards - 3.3 ypc

15 carries/14 yards - .9 ypc

Later in the season he finally put together some 100 yard games. I'm not sure if the oline was part of the problem, but he was far from impressive for more than 1/2 his games.

I haven't even seen this Bernard kids highlights but won't be surprised if he's receiving most of the carries this year simply because Green-Ellis isn't impressive.

BJGE Is a plow horse. There's a reason every team he is on ends up using a high pick on a running back. Bernard has good speed and elusiveness. He is also a very good receiver. The only worry I have is BJGE vulturing goal line carries.

BJGE Is a plow horse. There's a reason every team he is on ends up using a high pick on a running back. Bernard has good speed and elusiveness. He is also a very good receiver. The only worry I have is BJGE vulturing goal line carries.

That's my only concern. But even last year, he couldn't find the endzone. It could have been due to red zone play calling, I'm not sure but only had 6 TDs.

This kid looks like a future star in the league...When I see him run he reminds me of a young C Portis. Than I saw him wearing #26, what a trip.

Is Peerman still in the mix? If you were desperate enough to have The Plod Firm as a flex or RB2 like I was, Peerman looked like a must have ww pickup for a couple minutes there.

Is Peerman still in the mix? If you were desperate enough to have The Plod Firm as a flex or RB2 like I was, Peerman looked like a must have ww pickup for a couple minutes there.

I would say he really is not in the mix.

The obstacle to Bernard pulling a Doug Martin 2013 is that Law Firm is likely to be the goal-line back because he is a plough horse, as others mentioned. That could suppress his TD totals for 2013-? (how long is Law Firm signed for?). Otherwise, the future is bright for him in CIN, with those weapons helping make CIN a potent O.

P.S. Law Firm signed for 2013-14. Oh well, fewer TD's for 2 years, then.

At lot of people forget how good CIN o-line is due to how much Law Firm struggled last year at times. You put someone like Bernard behind that line and good things are going to happen.

1 person likes this

This is a guy I want on my fantasy teams this year. I think his ADP will end up being below at least 3 other rookie RB (Ball, Bell, Lacy), so he shouldn't cost you a high pick or much in auction. Gio's going to get carries and have value anyway but either an injury or continued under performance by BGJE could lead to a big spike in touches. Add in a great run-blocking O-line and an improving passing offense that defenses are going to have to focus on and you have a nice sleeper RB. As we know, things could change quickly with a great showing by Gio at camp and/or preseason but right now, his perceived value is much lower than it should be in my opinion. I'll gladly draft him as my 4th RB.

1 person likes this

This is a guy I want on my fantasy teams this year. I think his ADP will end up being below at least 3 other rookie RB (Ball, Bell, Lacy), so he shouldn't cost you a high pick or much in auction. Gio's going to get carries and have value anyway but either an injury or continued under performance by BGJE could lead to a big spike in touches. Add in a great run-blocking O-line and an improving passing offense that defenses are going to have to focus on and you have a nice sleeper RB. As we know, things could change quickly with a great showing by Gio at camp and/or preseason but right now, his perceived value is much lower than it should be in my opinion. I'll gladly draft him as my 4th RB.

In 10 team mocks I've seen him go as high as the 6th round, with Bell and Lacy going in the 5th. That seems a bit high for all those guys imo, and I have seen Bernard also drop all the way to the 9th. So it's hard to judge where to grab him. I do really like him though, I'm just afraid closer to the season more people will like him too and he's not going to be all that cheap.

Question for those guys in the know: Is Bernard returning kickoffs and/or punts?

This will impact how hard I go after him come draft draft day. I could've sworn I read something that he was up for consideration.

Thanks, in advance.

Question for those guys in the know: Is Bernard returning kickoffs and/or punts?

This will impact how hard I go after him come draft draft day. I could've sworn I read something that he was up for consideration.

Thanks, in advance.

Well, they re-signed last year's kick returner Brandon Tate to a 1 year deal on March 23rd...

They also added CB Troy Stoudermire who happens to own the NCAA record for most career kick return yards

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/kick-ret-yds-player-career.html

I haven't seen anything that says he's up for the KR job, only speculation that he's capable. Bernard only returned punts in college (16 for 264 and 2 TDs last year) and Stoudermire only returned KR in college, so Bernard returning punts if Tate is cut is possible, but I think he's the underdog right now for any of those jobs.

1 person likes this

That's my only concern. But even last year, he couldn't find the endzone. It could have been due to red zone play calling, I'm not sure but only had 6 TDs.

WOW!! Kid is explosive!

Thanks, in advance.

Well, they re-signed last year's kick returner Brandon Tate to a 1 year deal on March 23rd...

They also added CB Troy Stoudermire who happens to own the NCAA record for most career kick return yards

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/kick-ret-yds-player-career.html

I haven't seen anything that says he's up for the KR job, only speculation that he's capable. Bernard only returned punts in college (16 for 264 and 2 TDs last year) and Stoudermire only returned KR in college, so Bernard returning punts if Tate is cut is possible, but I think he's the underdog right now for any of those jobs.

Thanks, man. I really appreciate it.

WOW!! Kid is explosive!

Good lord, they cannot tackle in college.

Really, nothing on there was that impressive. Out of the college highlights I've watched from Bernard, Montee Ball, and Le'Veon Bell, the only one that stood out was Bell. His short area shiftiness reminded me of Doug Martin/LeSean McCoy with less speed. Bernard looks more like a kick/punt returner and possible 3rd down back. I guess he could be relevant with Cincy's solid o-line, but not someone I'm really targeting.

He runs a 4.5 and I'm not sold that he wont get more than 30% of the touches in that backfield.

I believe it is just a matter of how long it will take for Gio to move to #1 on the Cincy RB depth chart. They drafted him as the first RB selected in the draft for a reason.

Law firm is completely underwhelming, Cincy would love nothing better than for Gio to step up and win the job sooner rather than later. He will be given ample opportunity, just depends on how long it takes him to pick up the blocking schemes, how he produces, etc. There are already reports about how they love his pass catching ability, and how that want to use that to open up the offense. I'm betting that he wins the job outright, but it may take anywhere from 4-8 games into the season to do so.

Draft him with tempered expectations early, but he could pay big dividends late in the season.

1 person likes this

When drafting mid-round RB's, I always try to identify guys with talent, who are behind guys that have no talent. Law Firm is the definition of zero talent by NFL standards. It's only a matter of time until Gio gets his shot, and when he does he'll inevitably look 100X the player that Law Firm is. Also figure that Cincy isn't a team that will likely be running away with the division or have the benefit of Tom Brady/Pats offense to be able to get away with using the safe/ordinary guy the entire season. I'm betting after giving Gio some action early the public pressure will start mounting. Actually hoping that Law Firm holds down the starting RB spot through camp/preseason, so I can grab Gio at a relatively cheap price in the mid rounds.

Gio has everything that BJGE doesn't have but he leaves something to be desired in his pass protection, an area where Law Firm is actually very proficient, so both of them will probably have ample time on the field this season.

Have been doing several mocks in where Gio is going in the 4th-5th... What do you guys think? After him there is such a big drop off in RB but still so much value in WR, i think it is necessary to have 3 solid RB's by round the beginning of round 5.

Mock I just did I got Foster, Gore, and Bernard, after that it drops pretty poorly with the next RBs taken like Mathews, Mendenhall, etc.

Have been doing several mocks in where Gio is going in the 4th-5th... What do you guys think? After him there is such a big drop off in RB but still so much value in WR, i think it is necessary to have 3 solid RB's by round the beginning of round 5.

Mock I just did I got Foster, Gore, and Bernard, after that it drops pretty poorly with the next RBs taken like Mathews, Mendenhall, etc.

5th round is early, 4th is way early. I really like Gio and think he will win the starting job, but I wouldn't count on that happening right away. No way to tell if it will take 2-4 games, or even half the season. I wouldn't draft him at all if you expect it to take longer than that (at least in a re-draft). If you can afford to stash him for a few weeks, grab him, but I'm seeing ADP in the 6th or 7th round (12-team).

I don't know that I would consider Mendy a big drop. He is more proven/has experience and is supposedly going to be the main back. Who knows what kind of role Gio takes on this year, he could be starter day 1, not till midway through the season, or have a timeshare with BGE. I'm also bigger on most than Daryl Richardson, who is going around the same area or slightly later than Gio. 4th-5th is higher than I would want to take Gio.