Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mpbaseball22

Chien-Ming Wang 2013 Outlook

32 posts in this topic

Chien-Ming Wang has pitched 2 games this season for AAA giving up 1 ER 12 innings giving up 10 hits, 2 walks, striking out 5. Nova goes down with an injury, and Phelps will likely step in as the next SP to replace him. But Wang might eventually find himself starting for the Yankees soon enough. I dont see him making too much of an impact if and when he does get to the bigs, but for those desperate enough for SP he is worth keeping track of.

A guy past his prime who can't strike anyone out, is injury-prone, hasn't been fantasy-relevant in 6 years, and pitches in the AL East.

Sign me up.

@Ken_Rosenthal Source: Chien-Ming Wang to sign with #BlueJays. Expected to start Tuesday. Opted out of deal with #Yankees today.

Uhhh...So Yankees helped rehabilitate & bring him back to relevancy all season as he's been quite dominant in the minors only to aid the Blue Jays?

Picked him up in my Homers league...

Uhhh...So Yankees helped rehabilitate & bring him back to relevancy all season as he's been quite dominant in the minors only to aid the Blue Jays?

It was Wang's choice. He used his contractual rights to opt out. He had a contract where he could pitch in the Big Leagues next week and he took it.

Am I actually thinking of adding this guy...

HAHA

He is a 2-start pitcher

@CWS <_<

@TEX :blink:

Am I actually thinking of adding this guy...

HAHA

He is a 2-start pitcher

@CWS <_<

@TEX :blink:

Rangers are gonna pound Wang.

So the Jays now have Wang, Dickey and Johnson in the rotation??

Things that make you go Hmmm....

Anybody playing Wang tonight?

Hopefully Yahoo updates his team status before the first pitch!

I am in my Homers league...

Also, why would it matter if Yahoo updates his team before first pitch??

So the Jays now have Wang, Dickey and Johnson in the rotation??

Things that make you go Hmmm....

LOL the guy at razzball posted this, this morning:

Signed a deal with the Blue Jays. With Dickey and Wang in their rotation, Toronto will be shortening their name to the BJ’s.

He just might be a stud the rest of this season.

I'm looking at this post like Ryu is in your avatar pic :huh:

Once the top sinker ball pitcher, Wang making a comeback. I'm rooting for him. Was the Ace of a couple of Yankee teams until he had to bat in an NL game (what is this the dark ages?!) and stepped on the plate wrong.

He is not a power arm and induced ground balls. That is his forte. If the Jays make a run, and this guy gets on a roll, he could rack up a lot of wins.

He's ERA and WHIP help, but will hurt you in Ks. Jays haven't won a lot of games so far, so you can't count on that either. He has marginal value, IMO.

He's ERA and WHIP help, but will hurt you in Ks. Jays haven't won a lot of games so far, so you can't count on that either. He has marginal value, IMO.

10 wins in a row though...they are definitely heating up.

Did anyone happen to notice what his velocity was like? Pitch F/X shows his avg sinker at a hair under 91mph (90.98) with his max at 93.29, wondering how often he got into that 92-93 range. In his heyday he used to cruise at 92-93 with consistent 94 as well and that hard sinker really was a great pitch, was a bit like Hershiser in his prime when hitters said his heavy 2-seamer felt like it was made out of lead

Anyway wondering about his velocity, if he can get near his old stuff wouldn't be super quick to dismiss this comeback, never thought he got the credit he deserved in his big years. But if he's only on the fringes of his old velocity he's going to need to get a lot of movement on that pitch to be successful, that or have a better/more consistent slider than he used to. There's almost nothing worse than a sinkerballer gone bad, few pitches get wailed on worse than a batting practice speed 2seamer that doesn't move much. The Ks will never be there and obviously there's a big "buyer beware" sign on him, but still, am intrigued by this comeback, he could be a nice source of Ws/QS (and Reyes' return should help that infield defense too)