Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GottaGetTheWin

Jake Locker 2013 Season Outlook

169 posts in this topic

Time for Locker to put up or shut up. He has all the athletic ability. He can throw the ball a mile, he can run for yards but he can't hit a receiver in stride. If he never pans out it won't be by any fault of the Titans. They keep trying to bolster this offense for him.

Does he take the next step this year?

So many weapons for the Titans on offense this year

They go from one of the worst OLine last season...to probably one of the best

Locker/CJ2K/Shonne Green in the backfield

Dalanie Walker TE

Britt/Washington/Kendall Wright/ and they traded up for probably the best WR in the draft, Justin Hunter

They say they'll let him run more, which is one thing he's great at. They massively upgraded the OL. He has tons of weapons on offense, and a shiny new WR to play with. Their defense probably will continue to suck, resulting in lots of garbage points. There's alot to like about his fantasy situation.

But for some reason I am positive he'll screw it up.

1 person likes this

Locker is one of those QB that most will expect nothing from. His preseason ranking on most expert's lists will likely be in the mid 20's. Don't overlook him though as his rushing ability could push his value over the top. Also, as multiple posters above have mentioned, solid WR crew + new & improved o-line + potential for garbage time stats = major sleeper QB potential. Almost every year there's a QB that comes out of nowhere to post surprisingly big fantasy stats. Locker quietly has that potential for 2013.

1 person likes this

Locker is one of those QB that most will expect nothing from. His preseason ranking on most expert's lists will likely be in the mid 20's. Don't overlook him though as his rushing ability could push his value over the top. Also, as multiple posters above have mentioned, solid WR crew + new & improved o-line + potential for garbage time stats = major sleeper QB potential. Almost every year there's a QB that comes out of nowhere to post surprisingly big fantasy stats. Locker quietly has that potential for 2013.

I said this exact same thing...almost exactly one year ago <_< Hopefully I was just a year early as I have him stashed in my keeper league.

1 person likes this

I said this exact same thing...almost exactly one year ago <_< Hopefully I was just a year early as I have him stashed in my keeper league.

I was in the same camp last offseason. I thought Locker was in line for a big 2012, then he got hurt in week 1 or 2 and it just didn't happen. The potential is still there and the supporting cast is definitely better for 2013, so hopefully we were just both off by a year.

At least they got him a 2nd WR with insane physical tools, so if he overthrows them, they might still get the ball....They upgraded their interior O-line at both guard positions, which should eliminate the inside pressure that often flushed him out of the pocket, or forced back-foot throws. And with Justin Hunter in the fold and a healthy Kenny Britt (losing Cook hurts, except, well, they never targeted him anyways :rolleyes:), the O-line upgrade, much like Dalton in CIN (with TE/RB upgraded) and Bradford in STL (with Austin, Jared Cook & O-line upgraded), it's time for the excuses of poor supporting cast to go away - it's put up or go home time...

(Seriously, Hunter & Britt as the X/Z receivers, and Wright as the slot receiver, if he can't hit them with any type of decent accuracy, barring the WR running the wrong route, you know that will be on Locker).

1 person likes this

They go from one of the worst OLine last season...to probably one of the best

Interior OL looks good. What about the tackles?

I'll be paying attention in the preseason to see if he shows any signs of life. With that OL, WR corp, and crap defense you'd think failure is not an option, at least for fantasy football purposes.

I really don't know if Locker is draftable this season. He had some seriously useless games last year and honestly, I'm not nearly as big a fan of his targets as a lot of other people. The improvements on the line are encouraging but I doubt that Locker finishes much better than the 20th best QB this year.

1 person likes this

He sucks.

That may be true but for fantasy purposes big arm + lots of weapons at WR + good QB rushing stats + bad team DEF = lots of potential for 2013. Plus, the team doesn't have any other options besides Fitzpatrick, so I see the team sticking with Locker through the ups & downs.

The rushing stats will be key. I don't think the guy will ever be a great passer, but IF they incorporate read option plays into their offense like they've insinuated he could really excel because the guy is fast and athletic. It could push him from mediocre to good as far as fantasy is concerned.

1 person likes this

there are 12 viable starting QB's this year. based on past performance, there is absolutely no reason i see to even consider drafting him. Eli, Flacco, & Big ben are backup type guys that I have ahead of him. he's definitely a guy to watch develop this year, but i just don't see him having much of a fantasy impact, as no matter how he develops the Titans should still be run first.

Not a bad call for a back up in 2QB league or your second starter if things went awry in your draft plans.

Locker could easily rush for 500 yards over 16 games. The key is going to be improving his accuracy, jury is still out on if he can do that.

1 person likes this

Locker could easily rush for 500 yards over 16 games. The key is going to be improving his accuracy, jury is still out on if he can do that.

That's the thing, he probably can't. He's always injured. Even going back to college.

That's the thing, he probably can't. He's always injured. Even going back to college.

Last year's injuries were kind of flukey or not really his fault. The first one he separated it making a tackle after an INT(dumbass). Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson there. The second time he had the same shoulder destroyed by JJ Watt blindside sack(not his fault). I have much more faith in him staying healty than I do with him improving his accuracy.

In 1QB leagues I don't think he's anything to get too excited about this year. He could be a very solid backup that could be had pretty late probably, but that's about it.

Locker could easily rush for 500 yards over 16 games.

Really? Easily?

I don't know about that but my main concerns would be for the people who are so inexplicably encouraged by the Tennessee WR corps. I think you guys may be in for a rude awakening.

1 person likes this

Really? Easily?

I don't know about that but my main concerns would be for the people who are so inexplicably encouraged by the Tennessee WR corps. I think you guys may be in for a rude awakening.

Assuming that Kenny Britt stays out of trouble this offseason and is healthier than he's been since the start of the 2011 season, what don't you like about the WR options in TEN?

Really? Easily?

Ok maybe not easily, but he rushed for 300 in basically 10 games last year.

The o-line is improved, probably not top shelf but definitely upgraded.

WR depth is improved and Britt seems to be healthy again.

Again, we're not talking about taking him in the 6th or something but imo he's one of the top 3 QB2 "fliers" this year.

1 person likes this

If you read my latest post on the Tebow thread, you'll see that I put kiiiiinda a lot of importance on intangibles. So just as it's a no brainer that Tebow should be startin because he has the best intangibles of any QB ever, Locker shouldn't even be holding a clipboard. He doesn't have the mental or emotional makeup to be a championship NFL QB...because he's an idiot. All I need to do to emphasize this point, is take you on a lil trip back to his college days. With his UW Huskies trailin BYU 28-21, he makes a great scamper with 2 seconds left to pull it to 28-27. And then, in a move that puts him right up there in the Romo category of idiocy, he spikes the ball as hard as he possibly can and gets a 15 yard penalty for taunting. UW has to kick the extra point from 15 yards out farther, and ya know what, the kick got blocked. And Locker's team lost. This game is about winning. They don't ask how you won. Just if you won. This kid is a loser and it's a joke he's ahead of Tebow on an NFL depth chart

From a fantasy perspective, he should be able to put up decent numbers. Key word: should. His receivers and tight ends have elite athleticism and CJ2K can take a swing to the house, and he could take it to the house a few times with his feet. I just wouldnt bother with him if you get penalized too much for turnovers or his team losing

If you read my latest post on the Tebow thread, you'll see that I put kiiiiinda a lot of importance on intangibles. So just as it's a no brainer that Tebow should be startin because he has the best intangibles of any QB ever, Locker shouldn't even be holding a clipboard. He doesn't have the mental or emotional makeup to be a championship NFL QB...because he's an idiot. All I need to do to emphasize this point, is take you on a lil trip back to his college days. With his UW Huskies trailin BYU 28-21, he makes a great scamper with 2 seconds left to pull it to 28-27. And then, in a move that puts him right up there in the Romo category of idiocy, he spikes the ball as hard as he possibly can and gets a 15 yard penalty for taunting. UW has to kick the extra point from 15 yards out farther, and ya know what, the kick got blocked. And Locker's team lost. This game is about winning. They don't ask how you won. Just if you won. This kid is a loser and it's a joke he's ahead of Tebow on an NFL depth chart

From a fantasy perspective, he should be able to put up decent numbers. Key word: should. His receivers and tight ends have elite athleticism and CJ2K can take a swing to the house, and he could take it to the house a few times with his feet. I just wouldnt bother with him if you get penalized too much for turnovers or his team losing

And yet he Is a starter and Timmy can't find a job. Goes to show you that NFL types value ability over your precious intangibles.

it's a no brainer that Tebow should be startin because he has the best intangibles of any QB ever.

Umm. Wow. Just wow. I really want to reply honestly to this but I have enough warning points. Anyway, I'm sure the rest of the community will deal with this comment accordingly.

Btw, this is a fantasy sports forum. The plain truth is that intangibles don't really matter very much in fantasy.

Also, when you enter a thread saying "Locker's an idiot, Locker's a loser" I feel like it (along with your Tebow comments) really damages your credibility.

Here's 2 equations

Greatest intangibles ever + terrible passing skills = Unemployed Tim Tebow

Worst intangibles ever + great pure passer = 12 year NFL career Jeff George

Imagine that.

Ok, Senator, I know you're distinguished and all, but you're really not helping the perception that people think politicians are the world's biggest liars and idiots. So, according to you, me saying "Locker's an idiot, Locker's a loser" and also my endorsement of Tebow as a winning QB damages my credibility?

Hmmm, I guess it DOES damage my cred to make those "bold" claims. I mean, the facts clearly show that Locker is a proven winner and Tebow ain't. Locker has a stellar record as an NFL starter of 4-7, against Tebow's putrid record of 9-7. Going back to their days in college further decimates my cred. Locker's team dominated the college ranks by posting a record of 12-13 over his final two seasons. During Tebow's last two NCAA seasons he struggled to an AWFUL 26-2 record, going up against measly SEC talent loaded with future NFL day one starters.

Senator, life lesson numero uno: don't bring feelings to a fact fight. You'll always lose. And it won't do much for your political career. Locker is an idiot who has never and will never win. Tebow has all the intangibles of a champion and given the opportunity to display it over a long career, he'd have a lot of bling to show for it