Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scienergy

T.J. Moe 2013 Season Outlook

29 posts in this topic

I was surprised to see T.J. Moe go undrafted, but he went to the best team possible, the receiver needy Patriots.

Moe placed first in 60 yard shuttle, 20 yard shuttle, 3 cone drill & handily led bench press reps for all widouts. His 40 turned in at a terribad 4.74 rendering him ... undraftable?

The trait that strikes me the most is his strength. I think he could be an animal in the slot breaking off of press coverage with quickness and strength/stamina. Welker is gone... UDFA sleeper of the year?

Obviously if he ran the fastest shuttle drills he has quickness. Just as obvious due to the 40 time, he doesn't have much straight line speed. That's the profile of a lot of slot receivers. Maybe not that extremely bad 40 time, but straight line speed doesn't have a lot to do with being a slot receiver.

1 person likes this

I know nothing about this guy other than what you said......

But are we really starting a thread on an UDFA who ran a 4.7 40 time?

This guy could be an essential pickup,.......in a 100 team league.

Lets turn back the clock a bit and look at Welker compared to Moe. Welker was not invited to work out at the combine and went undrafted.

40-Yard Dash

Welker: 4.65

Moe: 4.74

3-Cone

Welker: 7.09

Moe: 6.53

20-Yard Shuttle

Welker: 4.01

Moe: 3.96

Broad Jump

Welker: 113

Moe: 120

Vertical Jump

Welker: 30

Moe: 36

Bench Press

Welker: 12

Moe: 26

So I guess this makes Welker comparable to an offensive lineman too? Good call guys. Moe is an intriguing dynasty pickup. Someone I'm keeping my eye on.

Um, they just drafted two WR's rather high, and still have Amendola and Edelman.

There is 0.1% chance this guy ever contributes for the Pats.

Wes Welker had a 4.7 40 I believe

It also took Wes Welker 4-5 seasons to become relevant.

This guy could be an essential pickup,.......in a 100 team league.

Might take a gander then.

Lets turn back the clock a bit and look at Welker compared to Moe. Welker was not invited to work out at the combine and went undrafted.

40-Yard Dash

Welker: 4.65

Moe: 4.74

3-Cone

Welker: 7.09

Moe: 6.53

20-Yard Shuttle

Welker: 4.01

Moe: 3.96

Broad Jump

Welker: 113

Moe: 120

Vertical Jump

Welker: 30

Moe: 36

Bench Press

Welker: 12

Moe: 26

So I guess this makes Welker comparable to an offensive lineman too? Good call guys. Moe is an intriguing dynasty pickup. Someone I'm keeping my eye on.

I'm not saying he won't be the next Wes Welker, but I just have no idea why we're discussing an UDFA right now.

scienergy - Don't get mad bro, people are just busting your balls

There are similarities between Welker and Moe hence, you would think, the Pats snatched him up for just this reason. That being said, it takes soooooooo long for these type of players to contribute (especially for the Pats) if at all. Maybe you'll have the last laugh in 2-3 years. That's my take.

I'm not mad, I just think it's funny when an obscure name is brought up and people complain about discussing when they aren't forced to post here. If you don't want to discuss, if you think it's not worth talking about, then don't post!

I am intrigued.

Let's see if he makes the roster first. NE haven't got a whole lot at WR, his competition is mostly rookies like himself so a strong show in camp could win him a job.

Would never have guessed that this guy could hit 26 reps on the bench. Wow.

1 person likes this

Doesn't matter how much you bench press when you run like a guard.

His measurables are great

for a right tackle.

I'm sure you feel that Keenan Allen, who was just as slow in the 40 yard dash, and had far worse meaurables than Moe in every other category, was fully worth the THIRD round pick the Chargers spent on him. Somehow, I don't think I'll read any posters ridiculing him as running like a guard or a tackle. There were other slow WRS drafted as well, who couldn't match Moe in any other category. But then again, Ryan Swope-who had maybe the best all around measurables and production in colege (in the vaunted SEC, no less) of all WRS, wait until the SIXTH round to be drafted, while DeAndre Hopkins, who lost out to Swope in EVERY measuarble possible, was a FIRST round pick even after he proved to apparently not be fully potty trained just before the draft.

It was a joke.

I sincerely apologize and I hope you and T.J. enjoy the rest of your lives together.

It was a joke.

Jokes aside, I started this thread to discuss a kid who killed the combine workouts in all but a few categories. The bench press reps alone grabs my attention. It's a good indicator of being able to shove off press coverage and get open with quickness and agility play after play. Straight line speed doesn't matter all that much in the slot.

Josh Boyce was a workout wonder too. Benched 22 reps, second place overall for WO, plus slayed the 40 with a 4.34 "hobbled" with a broken pinky toe. Dobson is being projected to play X receiver, so this leaves only a camp competition between two rookies to fill in if (when) Amendola goes down.

I'll keep my eye on him due to your recommendation. There's big turnover for who's going to catch the ball for the Pats. Welker is gone, Lloyd is gone, Woodhead is gone, Gronkowski has complications with his complications on his arm. Hernandez and Vereen are returning but injury prone. Amendola is new and injury prone. A lot of new faces around. Brady is going to make somebody look good.

Doesn't matter how much you bench press when you run like a guard.

His measurables are great

for a right tackle.

I'm sure you feel that Keenan Allen, who was just as slow in the 40 yard dash, and had far worse meaurables than Moe in every other category, was fully worth the THIRD round pick the Chargers spent on him. Somehow, I don't think I'll read any posters ridiculing him as running like a guard or a tackle. There were other slow WRS drafted as well, who couldn't match Moe in any other category. But then again, Ryan Swope-who had maybe the best all around measurables and production in colege (in the vaunted SEC, no less) of all WRS, wait until the SIXTH round to be drafted, while DeAndre Hopkins, who lost out to Swope in EVERY measuarble possible, was a FIRST round pick even after he proved to apparently not be fully potty trained just before the draft.

I love guys who spout off about measurables. Ever hear of Mike Mamula? Greatest measurables, couldn't play a kick. Ever hear of Tom Brady. Kiper said he had the worst measurables of any player at the combine ever.

Everyone's a comedian nowadays. Is there really a big difference between a 4.5 and a 4.7? As if the 4.5 guy is going to be zipping around the field and the 4.7 guy will look like he's running in quicksand. As others have said straight line speed probably isn't a huge need for slot WR, which is what this guy should project as. He's plenty quick and strong which is what he'll need most. He's obviously a long shot but there's always a couple WRs that come out of nowhere every year. I appreciate when people post about these obscure guys you otherwise would never know about, it's maybe the most useful thing I've found about these boards.

1 person likes this

Every draft has a small handful of UDFA that turn out to be diamonds in the rough. This is one of those threads that by Halloween will either be 27 pages long or 2 pages long, it won't be hard to figure out if this guy panned out at that point ;)

1 person likes this

Every draft has a small handful of UDFA that turn out to be diamonds in the rough. This is one of those threads that by Halloween will either be 27 pages long or 2 pages long, it won't be hard to figure out if this guy panned out at that point ;)

I'm betting on 2pages.

http://bostonherald....oe_won_t_dog_it

He also works well within the Patriots offense, according to Andy Hill, who was Moe’s receivers coach at Missouri the past few years. “It’s a 100 percent fit for him, no doubt,” Hill said on Tuesday. “I know they have Amendola, and Edelman back. I know they drafted a couple of outside guys. But I think (their style of offense) gives him a great chance. What they’re going to find out, once they tell him to do something, he’s one-million percent coachable. He’s a special guy in a lot of ways. They’ll be able to see it fairly quickly. He’s going to be out there until they kick him off the field.”

I'm surprised we're not talking more about the Bills signing Da'Rick Rodgers (or does he have his own thread now?). not saying Moe is a scrub or won't be note worthy. But when i read the scouting report on Rodgers i was surprised not a single team felt like drafting him. he must've has some major character issues.

Yeah Rodgers apparently is a diva and completely self absorbed from what I've read. Sounds like an incredible talent though. We are seeing this more and more, these kids coming in to the league thinking they know it all and deserve glory before they even take a snap (see: Smith, Geno).

Not to start a political discussion, but I believe what we are seeing is widespread and the result of our kids being taught they can have everything while earning nothing.

FWIW, TJ Moe is not one of these kids. Extremely hard worker and humble in every sense of the word. He stated he turned down "multiple" offers from other teams to go to the Patriots knowing well he had his work cut out for him.