Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Rockatansky

Russell Martin 2013 Outlook

28 posts in this topic

This dude has been on fire... I just grabbed him off the waivers a few days ago. I personally can't see him keeping up a top ten catcher pace all year but he has in the past so maybe?

Isn't he notorious for being an April all star? He did this 2 years ago on the Yankees too. Problem is most of us probably didn't pick him up until a day or two ago and at this point he's probably about to go back into hibernation for 3 months.

The thing is he moved to the NL (some hitters enjoy hitting there more, a la Shin Soo Choo), has had good plate discipline so far this year (7/10 BB/K ratio), and is one of the few catchers who will get you at least a handful of steals with everything else he brings to the table. I've been using him over Perez since his 2 HR game and I wouldn't hesitate to grab him if you're hurting at catcher.

I didn't realize how well he's been doing. Maybe he's ready to return to his old ways.

Has been scratched - day-to-day with neck stiffness. How many guys have sit out this year due to neck stiffness? LOL. *shakes head*

This is just insanity now.....he's hurt, he's back, he's hurt again, he's hitting the DL, call up prospect, he's available off the bench, send down prospect, he's hurt again.

Sooo is he fully healthy now or does anyone have a scoop? Would like to pick him up but not if he's still ailing.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, May 21, 2013 - No reason given · Report post

Is this guy worth picking up? I need a replacement for C Ruiz in my 14 player league...

I mean - is this actually legit though?

Catcher has been a black hole for me this year, but I'm not sure we can really presume this continues for Martin.

I think he has a good season, like when he first signed with the Yankees and was a top C, then last year he was terrible, so I imagine he's just bouncing back this year, probably not as many HRs as when he was with the Yankees but he should still get his fair share, plus, hitting from the 5th spot doesn't hurt your counting stats.

Try him, I guarantee you'll like him, most people write him off because of last season.

He hit .237 that year you're referencing in NY. He's hitting .276 right now.

If I thought the average could hold in the .270s, then yea... by virtue of his role, lineup spot, and .270 AVG he'd be practically guaranteed solid counting stats. And I don't doubt he can hit 18-20 HRs.

But when that comes with a .230 AVG... eh.

I don't expect him to stay at that high avg, but .240-.250 with some nice HRs and RBIs seems great from the C spot.

why dont you guys ride him while he's hot then just stream someone else when he cools off? Drop him when he gets to .240ish

His strikeouts are waaaay down this year so far. He's at 9.8%, which is quite a bit lower than it's ever been. And his LD% is up to 21.4%, which is also higher than it's ever been. I doubt he'll sustain what he's doing, but at the same time I think he's made some adjustments.

He's hitting 340 for the past 30 days with 3 steals.

definitely worthy of a bump. He's a must-own and a very sensible replacement for Napoli owners (although judging by his thread, his owners will never move on and will sink with him).

I wasn't too high on Martin coming into the season but he's been great and deserves a huge chunk of credit for the Pirates' success