Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MiggyRunsTings

4.29.13 - Angels (Hanson) @ A's (Straily) Gamethread

145 posts in this topic

i know i'll be watching to see how Straily does, as i'm sure a few others will be.

as much as the angles bats have been off to a slow start this year, that lineup is still pretty potent. gonna be a tough test for the kid.

3 pitches K's bourgious lol. 2 89 fbs on the black, and then a nice curve to finish him.

next pitch gets trout on a lazy fly ball to right.

And....That is why Straily will never be an Ace. He loves that high FB, apparently it works in AAA.

And....That is why Straily will never be an Ace. He loves that high FB, apparently it works in AAA.

he missed his spot pretty bad. he obv wasn't intending to put it there.

though i've never seen him pitch in the minors so i don't know. but can't imagine a pitcher who throws 89 loving high fbs lol

nice bounce back at least, made hamilton look foolish.

I can make Hamilton look foolish.

1 person likes this

though i've never seen him pitch in the minors so i don't know. but can't imagine a pitcher who throws 89 loving high fbs lol

I believe its more that he is far beyond most AAA batters mentally, setting up his pitches, sequencing, etc. You can also get away with a little more in the minors, hence a guy like Bauer living up in the zone and having success there and not having any really in MLB. Straily won't throw much harder than 89-91, so he can't make any mistakes or they get crushed. I think the comp of Javier Vazquez past his 30th bday makes the most sense.

And....Again. His HR/FB rate is Joe Blanton-esque and so is his FB.

1 person likes this

Trumbo smashed that. One of the longest/hardest-hit home runs I've seen at the Coliseum since probably the Bash Brothers played there.

I'm pretty sure the ball Trumbo hit didn't land yet. Might be in the Pacific.

What is the source for all the Straily hype? THe minor league numbers? He's one of those guys where the numbers and the scouts views of him don't line up. When you watch him pitch he's not impressive. As noted he lives up in the zone with a 90 MPH heater. It might have some late life and deception that gets people to swing and miss but man is he going to give up some homers on that.

The 12K game against the stros they were just swinging and missing endlessly on 90 middle up. They just kept swinging through it.

And....Again. His HR/FB rate is Joe Blanton-esque and so is his FB.

Yeah I posted in his thread...you have LAA (Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, Trumbo) for a guy who gives up too many HRs but also rooting for 2nd start @NYY?

Spot start v. the likes of SEA, HOU, CLE, MIN, etc. Teams that won't kill him with the long ball.

What is the source for all the Straily hype? THe minor league numbers? He's one of those guys where the numbers and the scouts views of him don't line up. When you watch him pitch he's not impressive. As noted he lives up in the zone with a 90 MPH heater. It might have some late life and deception that gets people to swing and miss but man is he going to give up some homers on that.

The 12K game against the stros they were just swinging and missing endlessly on 90 middle up. They just kept swinging through it.

Where were you when we were arguing this with FoulLine in the Straily thread?

i can see how his K potential will translate though with those filthy secondary pitches.

no doubt his fastball looks straight and soft, and will get eaten if missed to good hitters, but from what i've seen so far, his K potential from the minors doesn't look like a fluke; he'll miss plenty of bats at this level.

I believe its more that he is far beyond most AAA batters mentally, setting up his pitches, sequencing, etc. You can also get away with a little more in the minors, hence a guy like Bauer living up in the zone and having success there and not having any really in MLB. Straily won't throw much harder than 89-91, so he can't make any mistakes or they get crushed. I think the comp of Javier Vazquez past his 30th bday makes the most sense.

Vazquez was a quality start machine, low WHIP, lots of Ks, gave up the long ball, ERA never matched the peripherals.

Comparing Straily to Vazquez isn't exactly an insult.

Vazquez was a quality start machine, low WHIP, lots of Ks, gave up the long ball, ERA never matched the peripherals.

Comparing Straily to Vazquez isn't exactly an insult.

furthermore, Bauer has pitched all of 21 innings in the majors, saying something like " hence a guy like Bauer living up in the zone and having success there and not having any really in MLB" makes zero sense.