Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

predator_05

Sam Bradford 2013 Season Outlook

161 posts in this topic

This guy had a brutal introduction to the NFL, and until last year, spent his time getting mauled on a team that showed very little stability. Too many offensive coordinators and no real quality at WR (Clayton/Amendola couldn't last the season) made a tough job even tougher.

With Fisher's arrival, things seem to have changed for the better, as the Rams showed a ton of improvement on both sides of the ball last season. After a hugely impressive draft, this team looks better than it has in many, many years and Sammy must have felt that Christmas came early. A talented slot guy in Tavon Austin, a speedy wideout in Givens, a great end zone target in Stedman Bailey, and a physical freak of a tight end in Jared Cook are some of the toys he received from the front office. With 4 time pro bowl offensive tackle Jake Long protecting his blindside, he might enjoy a little more time in the pocket to locate these guys.

For fantasy purposes, its hard to imagine a scenario in which he DOESN'T surpass the 3,702 yards he threw for last year. St. Louis tend to play a lot of close games and after Steven Jackson's departure, the run game led by rookies and 2nd year guys will probably take a backseat to the passing game. The offense is now completely built around Bradford's arm.

Can you give me a reason for why this guy won't finish in the top 10?

1 person likes this

While I doubt Bradford will ever ascend to the top of the QB echelon, he has all the makings of the new Tony Romo. Underrated, productive, and consistent year in year out is how I view Bradford from now on. I'm buying.

Top-10 in what category? Passing yards? I could see that being a possibility, but that doesn't usually translate to guaranteed Top-10 status for fantasy QB's. Scoring settings are skewed so much in favor of running QB's that it would be very difficult for Bradford to end up in the Top-10 for all fantasy QB's.

I could see him easily reaching the same ranks in fantasy scoring as Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, and whatnot, but in a 12-team league, I don't even think most people believe those guys are a lock for the Top-12. Which makes that entire tier of QB's essentially fantasy backups.

Homeboy better be praying that Jake Long stays healthy.

With Austin, Givens, Cook, and Quick, he has a lot of interesting targets to work with. Regardless of how interesting those guys are, though, it'll be difficult to get them the ball if his facemask is planted in the turf a half dozen times a game.

Austin is a YAC guy, Cook can be one too. He can just find them and have them do the dirty work. The passing offense is a lot more simplified when you have WRs like that on your team.

Top-10 in what category? Passing yards? I could see that being a possibility, but that doesn't usually translate to guaranteed Top-10 status for fantasy QB's. Scoring settings are skewed so much in favor of running QB's that it would be very difficult for Bradford to end up in the Top-10 for all fantasy QB's.

I could see him easily reaching the same ranks in fantasy scoring as Ben Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, and whatnot, but in a 12-team league, I don't even think most people believe those guys are a lock for the Top-12. Which makes that entire tier of QB's essentially fantasy backups.

Bringing up the rear on the top 10 (points). Might just miss out, but he will be close. I am comfortable with predicting well over 4000+ yards. I would put him alongside Andrew Luck.

This guy had a brutal introduction to the NFL, and until last year, spent his time getting mauled on a team that showed very little stability. Too many offensive coordinators and no real quality at WR (Clayton/Amendola couldn't last the season) made a tough job even tougher.

With Fisher's arrival, things seem to have changed for the better, as the Rams showed a ton of improvement on both sides of the ball last season. After a hugely impressive draft, this team looks better than it has in many, many years and Sammy must have felt that Christmas came early. A talented slot guy in Tavon Austin, a speedy wideout in Givens, a great end zone target in Stedman Bailey, and a physical freak of a tight end in Jared Cook are some of the toys he received from the front office. With 4 time pro bowl offensive tackle Jake Long protecting his blindside, he might enjoy a little more time in the pocket to locate these guys.

For fantasy purposes, its hard to imagine a scenario in which he DOESN'T surpass the 3,702 yards he threw for last year. St. Louis tend to play a lot of close games and after Steven Jackson's departure, the run game led by rookies and 2nd year guys will probably take a backseat to the passing game. The offense is now completely built around Bradford's arm.

Can you give me a reason for why this guy won't finish in the top 10?

There are ten QBs who are better than him would be my reason.

1 person likes this

Solid analysis.

Does Bradford have the most talented set of WR options in his career? yes

Are any of these options proven WRs w/ succesful track records? no

Thus despite his improving offensive situation (WRs and O-line), you can't trust him to enter viable starting QB ranks. With 12 great fantasy QBs, you'd be crazzy to draft him with expectation of anything other than a backup QB.

Though if you play in a 2 QB league he becomes a sneaky "sleeper" pick.

1 person likes this

If I wait on QB this season there's two guys I'll be targeting late as my QB2 that I feel have the potential to jump into QB1 territory, Locker and Bradford. I really think one of those two can pull that off this season. Tannehill is another one to keep an eye on as well. So if I find myself drafting Eli in the 8th I will be looking for someone like Bradford maybe 5 rounds later.

I'm really starting to like Bradford. His surrounding offensive talent (WR - Austin, Givens, Quick, Pettis, TE - Cook, new LT - JLong) looks really good. Plus, who knows how good the running game is going to be with a rookie and 2 unproven 2nd year RB. He may be asked to throw a lot. Also, I believe he will be playing in the same offense for the 2nd year in a row for the first time in in NFL career.

He could be this year's afterthought QB who makes the leap into the top 10.

My favorite breakout QB this year. Would not be shocked at all if he reaches QB1 territory or very close. Has more weapons at his disposal than ever before. If he's ever going to put it all together, it's going to begin this year.

My favorite breakout QB this year. Would not be shocked at all if he reaches QB1 territory or very close. Has more weapons at his disposal than ever before. If he's ever going to put it all together, it's going to begin this year.

I really hope he does well and i liked the guy in college and i had really high hopes when he was drafted. There is one big difference between the year he was drafted and now, the NFC West has gone from pushovers to Defensive juggernauts. Playing 6 times a year against really good defenses is not good for anyone's stats. Also he is not a mobile QB and relies on his WRs to get open which is a tough ask against the type of corners and he usually doesnt have much time due to the DLs he is up against. To counteract this, he needs the ability to move around the pocket and maybe run a few like Russell Wilson and Kaepernick do, which i havent seen him do. Apart from those 6 games or about 38% of the fantasy season he shd do good.

I really hope he does well and i liked the guy in college and i had really high hopes when he was drafted. There is one big difference between the year he was drafted and now, the NFC West has gone from pushovers to Defensive juggernauts. Playing 6 times a year against really good defenses is not good for anyone's stats. Also he is not a mobile QB and relies on his WRs to get open which is a tough ask against the type of corners and he usually doesnt have much time due to the DLs he is up against. To counteract this, he needs the ability to move around the pocket and maybe run a few like Russell Wilson and Kaepernick do, which i havent seen him do. Apart from those 6 games or about 38% of the fantasy season he shd do good.

The schedule is somewhat brutal but to put a positive spin on this, the Niners and Seahwaks and even maybe the Cardinals this year should be able to score some points. All of the games against these divisional rivals have a chance at shootout potential. There should be lots of time for comeback mode scores......or a 4 or 5 INT game but I'm trying to remain optimistic haha.

The schedule is somewhat brutal but to put a positive spin on this, the Niners and Seahwaks and even maybe the Cardinals this year should be able to score some points. All of the games against these divisional rivals have a chance at shootout potential. There should be lots of time for comeback mode scores......or a 4 or 5 INT game but I'm trying to remain optimistic haha.

I think Carson Palmer is going to break the single season interception record this year. However, yes ur correct abt Seahawks vs Niners producing shootouts due to their mobile QBs and power running games, lets see if Tavon austin can get the Rams going. He has beast potential.

whos better bradford or ponder

I didn't look up stats to back this up but I feel Bradford is far more accurate than Ponder.

whos better bradford or ponder

seriously? Bradford....

Glad I bumped this thread though. I'm not the only one excited for him

Is it me or is Bradford looking stellar out there? He is hitting his receivers right in the hands all over the show.

He also looks a little more poised in the pocket compared to last year. Only a small sample size but he definitely seems more fluid in the pocket.

Don't trust him.

Thanks for the wonderful insight. Really helped us all out. Keep it coming!

1 person likes this

Did Cook play tonight? Interested to see him and Bradford now that he has a decent receiving TE.

Did Cook play tonight? Interested to see him and Bradford now that he has a decent receiving TE.

Barely 3-4 snaps. 0 targets

Barely 3-4 snaps. 0 targets

That doesn't bode well as one of my late round TE targets. Guess we have to wait and see in the next preseason games.