Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Halo Fan

Sleeper Prospects 2013

I thought this was a helpful, informative, and fun thread for us dynasty owners in the past.

I'll throw out the first name:

Tom Murphy, C - LoA Ashville Tourists (Rockies affiliate)

Off to a ridiculously torrid start.

15 games (SSS)

21/52

.404 AVG

.508 OBP

.923 SLG

1.431 OPS

7 HR

17 Runs

19 RBI

2 SB

I just posted a topic on Sonny Gray. I think he is fitting for this thread

Coming off a complete game where he allowed 1 earned run and struck out 6. His numbers for the year (Triple-A Sacramento) is 3-1 2.61 ERA with 25 K's. A write up from last year, I read about him said he has the ceiling of a 3 or maybe a 2 and looks a lot like Tim Hudson.

Henry Urrutia - Currently in AA Bowie. The Cuban defector finally came over for the Orioles after signing last July. He's only played in 10 games, but has 2 HR and 8 RBI. Duquette isn't shy about bringing up prospects if they are producing, as evidenced by him last year with Machado and Bundy. While McLouth, Jones, and Markakis are pretty much locked into the 3 OF spots, the Reimold/Pearce platoon at DH has left a lot to be desired.

my apologies if some of these guys are mentioned in other threads but...

Nick Williams

Joey Gallo

Tyler Glasnow

Burch Smith

Stetson Allie (now the hitter)

Lewis Brinson

Danny Salazar is worth watching. Pitches for Cleveland's AA affiliate. Currently has 51 Ks in 33.2 IP. Throws pretty hard too.

From Razzball:

Barrett Barnes OF PIT — Not to be confused with Brandon Barnes of the Astros, I always try to stockpile prospects with similar skillsets to both Barnes’, and that’s an ability to take a walk combined with average skills across the board. Drafted in 2012, Barrett Barnes is still a bit raw, but should be ready in a year or so. Remember, guys like this turn into cheap fantasy producers that are a poor man’s Nick Markakis and Andre Ethier. That has value in deep leagues, especially ones that use OBP as a cat.

Orlando Calixte SS KC — Posting a combined slash of 262/315/444 between the Royals Low and High-A affiliates, he’s certainly not a wow-prospect that you usually like to see at the shortstop position. But he has enough athletic ability to stick and might bring a bit of power, which should provide enough value from where he plays on the diamond. While Calixte does have a lot of swing and miss in his game, and remains pretty raw with the bat, he did improve upon his previous season’s performance while going against higher level opponents, always a good sign.

Max Kepler OF MIN — If there’s a guy I’m picking up in every dynasty format, its Kepler. The German-born outfielder is still very much under the radar, but that should change very soon. Still only 20 years old, he’s shown good contact with above average speed and enough power to dream on. He might stick in the outfield, most likely in the corner, but even if he gets moved to 1B, his hit tool will play there. If you need a comp, the one I’ve been using to describe him the last couple of years is Shawn Green. Yes, I think he’s that good.

Tyler Pike LHP SEA — Lost in the sea of Taijuan Walker, Danny Hultzen, and James Paxton, Tyler Pike is a pitcher you should know about. While his fastball doesn’t really reach above the low-90′s, he has a good curveball and changeup from the left side. Only 19 years old, he has plenty of projection and his floor should be a mid-rotation starter with a chance for more.

Kevin Plawecki C NYM — Even though he’s currently blocked by Travis d’Arnaud, I still like what he brings to the table. While many project him as a future back-up, I like the hit tool more than others, and he has a good handle on the strike-zone. Frankly, Plawecki looks like the nextJohn Jaso to me, so, if given a chance, he can be a low-cost investment that can pay above-average dividends to both a Major League club and your fantasy team.

Donn Roach RHP SD — While he can only throw a borderline curve, his filthy sinker and slider give him a superb ground ball rate in a good environment to pitch in. Roach will most likely be ready next season and would be an innings-eater back of the rotation starter anywhere else but PetCo. There, he could be a mid-rotation guy.

Keep an eye on 1B Dan Black - Birmingham AA

looking at his stats on fangraphs...why should we have an eye on him?

Keep an eye on 1B Dan Black - Birmingham AA

looking at his stats on fangraphs...why should we have an eye on him?

I don't know much about him, but his stats are good. He has 27 BB's to 27 K's, which is very impressive. Not to mention his 34 RBI's and .331 AVG. He seems like a decent hitter from the stats.

I saw these kids play against my brother last year in the Midwest League.

Kennys Vargas - Just a pure hitter. Not sure why the Twins have moved him along so slowly.

Nate Roberts - Another guy the Twins have not promoted fast enough. Could be a solid leadoff man someday. Also saw him play in a summer league in high school. He can hit.

Jabari Blash - Light tower power.

I mentioned him in last year's thread. I'll mention him again. My brother, Zach Borenstein, is the real deal. And he's putting himself on the map right now.

http://www.milb.com/..._pbp&pid=605148

I've actually seen Zach play. Really nothing special. Cool that he's your brother though.

Sean Nolin may be useful.

"Shi Davidi @ShiDavidi

AA says Ramon Ortiz/Chad Jenkins basically start to start. Sounds like prospect Sean Nolin will be next starter called up if need arises."

A buddy of mine saw Nolin yesterday and was very impressed. Everything I've read on him says middle of the rotation guy, but he just keeps performing.

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, May 19, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, May 19, 2013 - No reason given

I mentioned him in last year's thread. I'll mention him again. My brother, Zach Borenstein, is the real deal. And he's putting himself on the map right now.

I've actually seen Zach play. Really nothing special. Cool that he's your brother though.

That's a clown post, bro. Seriously, kind of douchey. Of course, that's why he's a sleeper. To prove idiots like you wrong.

That's a clown post, bro.

Your scouting could use some work, as could your tact.

I saw these kids play against my brother last year in the Midwest League.

Kennys Vargas - Just a pure hitter. Not sure why the Twins have moved him along so slowly.

Nate Roberts - Another guy the Twins have not promoted fast enough. Could be a solid leadoff man someday. Also saw him play in a summer league in high school. He can hit.

Jabari Blash - Light tower power.

Vargas has less at bats, as he was suspended in 2011 for a banned substance of some sort, which carried over to last year. He's definitely someone on my radar. Roberts, less so. To me, he profiles much more as a 4th OF, but he can certainly hit. He'll never hit for much pop, but he's good on the basepaths and has good speed. However, he's banged up again, and one has to question his long term health. Consistently hurt. Blash, you're right - he has pop indeed. However, that K rate has me alarmed....

?? Seriously?? Wow. Talk about defensive. No need to personally attack me. Merely stating a baseball opinion. Nothing more.

The dude is proud of his brother..as he should be since he so far has already matched last years HR totals in 160 less AB's... you might not think hes the next Mike Trout.. but saying 'hes really nothing special' just seems unnecessary and reminds me of what Mrs. Kluber had to go through last year

?? Seriously?? Wow. Talk about defensive. No need to personally attack me. Merely stating a baseball opinion. Nothing more.

Where was the personal attack? Your scouting could use some work? Talk about someone being defensive.

I post at AW, saw this and figured you'd want to see it if you haven't

http://angelswinblog...sWin.com Today)

nice little interview with him

Where was the personal attack? Your scouting could use some work? Talk about someone being defensive.

No not that. The other part. My scouting probably could use some work, I'm not a pro nor do I ever claim to be. Was just expressing my opinion. I think that's awesome that it's someone who's brother posts here. I'll probably have him more on my radar for just that reason.

Danny Salazar is worth watching. Pitches for Cleveland's AA affiliate. Currently has 51 Ks in 33.2 IP. Throws pretty hard too.

Guy is a beast from the one time I saw him pitch.

"Eastern Illinois OF Zach Borenstein (Round 23) does everything well, but nothing in his scouting profile portends big things to come. As a lefty with some pop and a history of playing all over the iamond, he’ll get his chances. "

Guess he needs to work on his tact too. Funny how I google "Zach Borenstein scouting" this morning to see if I was completely off base with my comment yesterday and this was literally the FIRST scouting thing that came up. It was second in search results after an article from "halosheaven" which I didnt open for obvious rasons and didn't even sound like a scouting report anyway.

Oh well, whether it's right or wrong, glad I was far from off base with my analysis. Only trying to keep it honest.