Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Halo Fan

Sleeper Prospects 2013

I mentioned him in last year's thread. I'll mention him again. My brother, Zach Borenstein, is the real deal. And he's putting himself on the map right now.

http://www.milb.com/..._pbp&pid=605148

I've actually seen Zach play. Really nothing special. Cool that he's your brother though.

That's a clown post, bro.

Your scouting could use some work, as could your tact.

?? Seriously?? Wow. Talk about defensive. No need to personally attack me. Merely stating a baseball opinion. Nothing more.

Where was the personal attack? Your scouting could use some work? Talk about someone being defensive.

No not that. The other part. My scouting probably could use some work, I'm not a pro nor do I ever claim to be. Was just expressing my opinion. I think that's awesome that it's someone who's brother posts here. I'll probably have him more on my radar for just that reason.

What type of reaction would you expect? Seemed like baiting to me.

If that was my bro I'd be touting him too! Looks like he's absolutely raking, no matter what the scouting reports say. He can't control what level he's at or how others evaluate him, but it sure seems like he's taking care of business on the field. Nice job!

I mentioned him in last year's thread. I'll mention him again. My brother, Zach Borenstein, is the real deal. And he's putting himself on the map right now.

I've actually seen Zach play. Really nothing special. Cool that he's your brother though.

That's a clown post, bro.

Your scouting could use some work, as could your tact.

?? Seriously?? Wow. Talk about defensive. No need to personally attack me. Merely stating a baseball opinion. Nothing more.

Where was the personal attack? Your scouting could use some work? Talk about someone being defensive.

No not that. The other part. My scouting probably could use some work, I'm not a pro nor do I ever claim to be. Was just expressing my opinion. I think that's awesome that it's someone who's brother posts here. I'll probably have him more on my radar for just that reason.

What type of reaction would you expect? Seemed like baiting to me.

If that was my bro I'd be touting him too! Looks like he's absolutely raking, no matter what the scouting reports say. He can't control what level he's at or how others evaluate him, but it sure seems like he's taking care of business on the field. Nice job!

You're entitled to think what you want (just like I am as a matter of fact) I'm just calling it like I see it and it was refreshing to know the first thing I found, LITERALLY the first said the exact same thing.

Tact away boys.

To be honest by stating that he was your brother (which is perfectly fine) you opened it up to any comments or critiques that would by default seem more personal. You could have touted him and kept it private that he was your bro and it wouldn't have made a difference but by saying it is your brother you have to be unbiased and ready for any type of response.

Either way I don't care and this is not what this thread is for.

Just adding my 2 cents on Zach Borenstein, it seems like he is in the wrong level. He is dominating A+ (.345/.380/.690/1.070 with 12/4). Any time I see a guy in the minors who is posting over a 1.000 OPS I'd say he is due for a promotion. He seems like a guy who is an interesting power/speed combo with an improving average. He is young and there is room for growth, but he is definitely on my radar now. I would like to add that I would keep the fact he's my brother to myself since it has little bearing of his fantasy relevance. Nevertheless he's a solid prospect player who I will be watching.

To add to this thread I'd like to recommend watching Blake Swihart, he is a switch hitting catcher for the Red Sox and I like what I've been seeing out of him. He is 21 and posting a .273/.341/.400/.731 with no homers and 3 SB. The thing that sticks out for me with him is his improved BB:K ratio, from 26:68 last season to 12:18 this season. The 0 HR seem to be an anomaly, especially considering the fact he is slugging better than he did last season when he had 7 HR. He has already surpassed last season's 4 triples. The speed is interesting and the power is developing. I seriously doubt he will be called up this season, but I'm watching him as he develops. He is clearly their catcher of the future and I love seeing catchers that can steal bases. When he is ready I'd say he could contribute across the board.

Kyle Hendricks SP CHC - 23, AA

C.J. Edwards SP TEX - 21, A .... now being mentioned in a possible trade with CHC for Garza

Joan Gregorio SP SFG - 21, A

Glasnow and Sims might be nice pick ups now before more people learn about them, Folty too (Hou)

Kyle Hendricks SP CHC - 23, AA

C.J. Edwards SP TEX - 21, A .... now being mentioned in a possible trade with CHC for Garza

Joan Gregorio SP SFG - 21, A

I love C.J. Edwards drafted him last year in my deeper keeper league. If he went to Chicago I would go nuts as half my league is Cub fans and obviously the NL would help.

One player that is still way under the radar, likely because he's repeating Low-A....is Rosell Herrera, SS (COL). 20 years old. 6'3" 180 with room to fill out, and maybe more to 3b. Currently hitting .359 with 15HR 61 RBI and 19 SB. Not sure what this means long term, but I really like the kid.

Kole Calhoun in the Angels system is a very good all-around OF. He's never gotten any hype, but he should be playing over J.B. Shuck. And he's playing out of his mind right now, just like my bro.

Kole Calhoun in the Angels system is a very good all-around OF. He's never gotten any hype, but he should be playing over J.B. Shuck. And he's playing out of his mind right now, just like my bro.

Who's your bro?

4/4 3HR 4RBI on July 23...........nice

hey everyone check out my bro as well(not blood related but hes my boy!!). hes tearing it up too and is gona be a beast

Brandon Nimmo, CF

Nimmo won the All-Star Futures Finalist ballot to earn the final spot on the U.S. team, but is he worthy of the honor?

The Mets selected Nimmo with the 13th overall pick in the 2011 MLB Amateur Draft. The pick surprised many because of Nimmo’s lack of experience against the nation’s elite talent. His high school in Cheyenne, Wyoming couldn’t even field a baseball team.

Nevertheless, Nimmo is one of the best left-handed hitting prospects in the organization, according to a scouting profile on MLB.com.

This season, Nimmo is hitting just .261 with one home run and 23 RBI in 273 at-bats for the Low-A Savannah Sand Gnats. In fact, Nimmo has already struck out 80 times, which equals nearly 30% of his at-bats this season. Also, Nimmo’s current .720 OPS ranks him just sixth among Savannah hitters with at least 145 at-bats.

Earlier this season, Nimmo missed a month of play due to a bruised hand and then a strained glute. Following his return, Nimmo experienced discomfort at the plate and struggled as a result, according to MetsBlog.

Growing pains aside, it’s important to remember that Nimmo is just 20 years old and has the potential to be a five-tool player for the Mets someday. He’s already a reliable defender who has exhibited a knowledge of the strike zone with his 32 walks and .368 on-base percentage. Nimmo has raw power, but has clearly yet to to tap into it.

The Mets are in desperate need of a long-term option in center field, but it doesn’t appear that Nimmo will be able to fill that role any time in the near future.

The Futures Game isn’t a bad place to start, though.

Who's your bro?

some guy named Zach Borenstein

Darnell Sweeney. He's a toolsy switch-hitting SS in the Dodgers organization.

In High-A this year, his line is .275/.327/.455

11 HRs, 31 doubles, 14 triples, 46 SBs (16 CS)

Reminds me a little of Dexter Fowler.

California League MVP, and he missed almost a month of the season when he was on the DL.

Led the league in BA, HRs, SLG, OPS, ISO

Headed to the Arizona Fall League.

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=30217427

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=30252961

Bat speed and a compact swing.

Yup he looks good. Tell him to keep on trecking through Double A next year. Then he will really start hitting those top prospect charts.

California League MVP, and he missed almost a month of the season when he was on the DL.

Led the league in BA, HRs, SLG, OPS, ISO

Headed to the Arizona Fall League.

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=30217427

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=30252961

Bat speed and a compact swing.

He had a monster year, congrats to him and you. I just rostered him in a deep dynasty league to see what he does in AA next year.

Deep sleeper for big leagues, Dodger pitcher Julio Urias.

http://www.baseballa...-all-star-team/

A lot of big prospects in here, but also a lot of guys you've probably never heard of before who had great seasons.

I'll highlight some of the hitters who grabbed my attention, starting with my bro.

Zach Borenstein - OF (Angels): I know for a fact he has awesome bat speed, a compact swing, and easy power to all fields. Good outfielder as well.

Yosmil Pinto - C (Twins): He's actually up with the Twins right now and he's raking. Didn't make BA's top 10 last year for the Twins, isn't even on their top 20 according to MLB.com. Big time sleeper. Now that Morneau is gone, I'm guessing Mauer will be moved permanently next year to 1B/DH. And Pinto will be their full-time catcher. Not to be confused with former Twin, Nick Punto.

Tom Murphy - C (Rockies): Wilin Rosario probably won't stick at catcher for very long, and Murphy might be one of the reasons why. Don't know how he is defensively, but he had an incredible season at the plate and is in AA right now. Only 22.

Marcus Semien - 2B (White Sox): I started his minor league thread. He's also up with the Sox right now. He should be a full-time middle infielder for them next year and he'll be 23.

Mookie Betts - 2B (Red Sox): Blocked by Pedroia obviously, but hard to ignore what he did this year at his age between Low-A and High-A. 15 HRs, 38 SBs (4 CS), 36 doubles, 81/57 BB/K

Billy Burns - OF (Nationals): Between High-A and AA, 74 SBs (7 CS), 72/54 BB/K

Joey Gallo - 3B (Rangers): He's got some glaring issues, but 40 HRs in 411 ABs as a 19-year old is impressive.

Nice list indeed. I’ll start from the bottom up.

Gallo - Gallo’s power may be unmatched at any minor league level. Keon Barnum (White Sox) may be only guy on the same playing field regarding power. The power numbers are certainly there, and are well worth monitoring. However, I have strong reservations about him, mostly because of his contact rate. I think it’ll take him more time than we’re hoping it does.

Burns – Speed is apparent, good OBP. Absolutely zero in the way of XBH, so I think we’re looking at a Juan Pierre type, likely. Maybe just a pinch runner. However, his ability to draw a walk and at least use his speed gives him a nod and is certainly worth monitoring.

Betts- Very nice tout. A friend of mine is absolutely tantalized by his potential. As you’ve stated, he’ll never play 2B for the Sox. And his size makes him tough to trade. Forget about that, this kid can play – and will likely be in a piece somewhere next year, maybe THIS offseason if the Sox sign Lester to an extension (could be part of a bigger package). A move defensively isn’t likely, or almost even possible. But give this kid a bat and he can play.

Semien – Really like this kid, but I think his ceiling is limited. I think he’ll be a steady, if unspectacular player….but he’ll be in the bigs for a long time.

Murphy – Love his bat, and like you I don’t know anything about him defensively. Well worth monitoring this offseason.

Pinto – Watched him in New Britain (love what they’re gonna have next year!), and agree that this kid can hit, and will hit. Very nice sleeper in deeper leagues next year.

Finally your bro, Zach Borenstein – He’s owned in my dynasty leagues, and I’m a believer. The power is there, and his OPS certainly shows that he was too good for that level. K/BB rate isn’t great, but far from awful. I like the fact that he still hit .321 vs. LHP even as a LHB, and that’s a great sign. My biggest fear with him, and hear me out, is the CAL League factor. Trust me, I played in the CAL League. Oddly enough, I played for the same team as your bro (formerly the San Bernardino Stampede-and then was LAD). His home park is one of the toughest to get the ball out of in that league, and 7 HR at home, as opposed to 21 on the road is a bit scary to me. Places like High Desert/Lancaster and obscene homer domes (Lancaster is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen). All that being said, that’s my only reservation with him. What I’ve read and seen should translate to the next level, and I think he’ll be successful. I just want to see it outside of the hitter friendly environments of that league.