Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rraayy3

Danny Duffy 2013 Outlook

129 posts in this topic

Danny Duffy (elbow) threw 20 pitches in an extended spring training game on Saturday.

Advice: It was Duffy's second game appearance in extended spring as he works his way back from Tommy John surgery. The Royals are hopeful that the lefty will be able to throw five innings on the anniversary date of his surgery (June 13), though it will be later than that before he's ready to join the rotation.

must add/stash in dynasty leagues?

1 person likes this

I like him. He was getting it up to 100mph if I remember correctly last yr. Had some minor control issues I think but I remember being very impressed watching him. I have him stashed on my dynasty DL.

Yeah, in a dynasty I'd go for it- remember a start last year vs the Yanks and his stuff was electric, even if he's only at 75% this year or a little uneasy about really letting it fly you'll definitely be interested in him next when hopefully he's all the way back

Didn't know much about him ... but a lefty that can put up 95+ is definitely note worthy.

He's aiming for June ... I'd expect him up by July at the earliest, but everything since the TJ surgery has been positive so who knows.

Next year this kid should be fantasy relevant, keep in mind that control is the last thing to return with TJ surgery, so any production this year will be a bonus.

I am holding in my dynasty league. I think it's a good, under the radar pick up; he was impressive pre TJ

true ... i was thinking more long term rather than help this year. it sucks we only get 6 add/drops per weekbut i figured he'd be worth the stash especially since i can DL him for another month or so and didn't wanna miss out on him with the recent news. i looked even further and it's been all positive since the surgery.

not too many young SP with his upside sitting on the wire of a 14 team dynasty. any current pitcher he compares to [if he reaches his potential] ?

Rehab assignment in Double A on Sunday. You figure he takes up the 30 days, but there should be a spot in the rotation for him. Wade Davis isn't a starter, and Mendoza pretty much sucks.

Will be interesting to see how hard this guy is throwing and how he does in his rehab assignment. If he's pitching with the Royals @ the beginning of July, I'm not a fan of the schedule. Gets better on the 26th, but yeah, the month is about gone then. If he can miss 15th through 17th series with the Tigers, August looks better.

Stashed on the DL in my keeper league all year.

Just hoping he comes up in June/July and shows the same potential as before - can decide whether to keep him for next year.

If you thought he was wild before TJ, think how wild he's likely to be when initially back?

Interest level is 2014 as a flyer...

If you thought he was wild before TJ, think how wild he's likely to be when initially back?

Interest level is 2014 as a flyer...

Exactly my thoughts. DD couldn't control anything before surgery and now he's expected to come back from a surgery where control is the LAST thing to return? Pass in redrafts.

I was just about to say what the two above said - wonderful stuff but Very wild pre-TJS - watch and see guy

Danny Duffy pitched three scoreless innings while walking two and striking out four in his first rehab start with Double-A Northwest Arkansas on Sunday.

2 people like this

Got Rocked in his Triple A Start. Uh Oh. His control didn't seem that bad only two walks, but he gave up seven runs on seven hits. He may be a stretch to perform well for this year, but in keeper leagues I think he has value.

What's up with the Duffmeister. Getting rocked in triple a. Does anyone know if his velocity is still there? Or if he is just having serious command issues?

What's up with the Duffmeister. Getting rocked in triple a. Does anyone know if his velocity is still there? Or if he is just having serious command issues?

He had a great start tonight. Check fangraphs.

Yup very solid outing 5ip 0 ER 2 hits. Very nice. Hopefully there is more of this to come.

According to CBS

Danny Duffy had great week at Triple-A

Royals starting pitcher Danny Duffy was named Pacific Coast League pitcher of the week after throwing 10 2/3 scoreless innings last week. Duffy won both of his starts, allowing five hits and three walks, while striking out 11 batters.

Duffy, who had Tommy John surgery last year, is 2-0 with a 5.66 ERA and .263 opponents' batting average in 20 2/3 innings for Omaha. He has struck out 21 batters, walked 11 and allowed one home run.

Interesting and take note!

1 person likes this

He's off the 60 day DL but I think the Royals want to see him come back to form before they give him a rotation spot. Shouldn't be long though, he's got an electric left arm.

Boom!

Danny Duffy Ks 13 over 5-plus at Double-A

Royals starter Danny Duffy, who has made his return this season from Tommy John surgery, set a Double-A Northwest Arkansas record Wednesday night with 13 strikeouts at Tulsa. Duffy did that over just 5 1/3 innings, MLB.com reports.

The starter gave up two runs and walked one as he started at Double-A due to Triple-A Omaha being off for the All-Star break. Duffy has gone 2-0 with a 5.06 ERA over seven appearances and six starts at Triple-A, but has been pitching much better of late. He is a candidate for a recall for the Royals at some point in the second half.

I really like Duffy. He was a top prospect, and I think his value for the future is going to be great. He may have some bumps this year coming back from TJ, but a lefty throwing 95 is someone I want to have.