Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

supac720

Jake Westbrook 2013 Outlook

16 posts in this topic

I didn't see a thread for him yet. ERA leader in the NL. Obviously won't last but considering every other somewhat relevant player has a thread, its time he gets some love. I only own him in my deep NL-only, but he has been quite solid. Smoke & Mirrors or can he keep it going?

He obviously won't keep his ERA THIS low, but he will remain solid all season. He is a groundball machine and has the best game-caller in the game in Yadier Molina to keep him going.

I just picked him up in a league where I've been hurting for pitching. Westbrook won't get many Ks, but the ratios should remain solid and he should get some Ws on a good Cardinals team.

1.07 ERA but 1.40 WHIP and 3.53 FIP by virtue of 0 HR allowed.

I would say it is smoke and mirrors but STL pitchers have a knack (i.e. Garcia) of putting up mediocre peripherals but doing well where it counts in a real game - runs allowed. Still, you figure his luck's gonna run out soon

30 hits 17 BB (against only 18 K) and 1 HBP so out of the 48 baserunners (not including those who reach on errors), only 5 have scored (4 ER).

So I guess if tomorrow goes well, he may return in Lyons's spot in the rotation. It lines up fairly decent too with Westbrook going tomorrow down in Peoria and Lyons's next spot due on Friday.

Well he did pretty well today for the Peoria Chiefs....

7 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K's, W

76 Pitches thrown, 53 for Strikes.

So what's the consensus here? Are we seeing him back in STL's rotation soon?

Starting on Friday @ MIA.

I rarely ever use starters fresh of the DL, but this might be an exception.

Starting on Friday @ MIA.

I rarely ever use starters fresh of the DL, but this might be an exception.

Considering this, as well.

He is amazing. He's not amazing cuz he's good. He's amazing cuz how long a career he has had despite being nothing noteworthy in his career except for somehow consistently having a job.

He has had one full season with an ERA under 4. He doesn't strike anyone out and he has a career 1.40 WHIP.

How does a right hander like this last so long in MLB? The best thing you can say about him is that he is mediocre.

Can anyone name another active RHP who has lasted as long as he has but is as meh as he is?

He is amazing. He's not amazing cuz he's good. He's amazing cuz how long a career he has had despite being nothing noteworthy in his career except for somehow consistently having a job.

He has had one full season with an ERA under 4. He doesn't strike anyone out and he has a career 1.40 WHIP.

How does a right hander like this last so long in MLB? The best thing you can say about him is that he is mediocre.

Can anyone name another active RHP who has lasted as long as he has but is as meh as he is?

mark buehrle.....he is a lefty thought. one guy who always pitches but never really has anything good throughout the season. andy pettitte has a career era of almost 4.00 and a whip of 1.35 but benefited from playing with the Yankees. if he didn't he would already be done but he is a lefty also. he wins 21 and 18 games with an era of 4.

ESPN is showing Jake as a two-start pitcher (@HOU/@OAK). Is this confirmed? I know the Cardinals are contemplating skipping Shelby but I can't find any confirmation on that. ESPN has no blurb on the two-start week either. He would be on regular rest.

Figuring out how this guy keeps managing to keep his ERA under 3 has to be breaking fangraphs.

Looks like Jake took one for the team tonite due to Shelby Miller getting injured

4.2 IP with 9 ERs ... ouch

Looks like he is getting the start in the finale v the Cubs. Anyone rolling the dice on him?

he pitched a solid inning ;)

Glad I didn't need any starters for the final day else I would've probably gone with him