Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flacco2Rice

Junichi Tazawa 2013 Outlook

33 posts in this topic

Surprised this guy doesnt have a thread yet. He could be in a for good amount of saves in the short term.. or longer..

Yeah I've always loved this guy's stuff, I'm glad he is finally getting the opportunity.

does he have a chance to keep the gig long term?

Sure he has a chance. For one, we don't know how long either Hanrahan or Bailey are out for. Second, its obvious the Red Sox are not overly committed to anyone. They replaced Bailey in the offseason only to replace Hanrahan in less than a month. Still, its an uphill battle for Tazawa to get the gig long-term. The best hope is both guys are out for a while and he runs with the job. It will make it difficult to remove him when someone comes back.

Chance? Yes. But small. As long as one of Bailey/Hanrahan is healthy, they're going to be the guy. At least until the end of the season.

I know that he's hurt again and I know that he's made of glass, but why are people forgetting the fact that Bailey was nearly untouchable prior to the injury flaring up. This is not a knock on Tazawa at all, but I'd be absolutely shocked if Bailey isn't re-inserted into the closer role shortly after being re-activated.

Chance? Yes. But small. As long as one of Bailey/Hanrahan is healthy, they're going to be the guy. At least until the end of the season.

Yeah, but Hanrahan's injury sounded like it could be serious. It wouldn't be shocking if he was done for the year. And what would be shocking is if Bailey comes back and stays healthy. Tazawa could be here awhile.

2 people like this

Who cares how long he will keep the job. Nobody knows. Worry about it when Bailey is close to coming back and you know how Tawaza has done as CL. While you're debating, someone else already nabbed him.

This is a windfall for people who needs svs. As long as you're not dropping a needed player, just do it. You're playing with house money.

3 people like this

I'm sure the Sox are hoping bailey comes back and takes the job. The bullpen will be in a mess if Bailey or Hanrahan can't get healthy. They have their 7th and 8th inning guys and now one of them is going to close. Messes with the system. Bailey should be back at the end of the 15 days. Hanrahan can stay gone. He was basically brought is as a back up plan for Bailey. And that hasn't work out even when healthy.

Wouldn't it make more sense to let Tazawa and Uehara (the guys who aren't made of glass) solidify their roles in the 8th and 9th innings and let Bailey help out in the 7th until he gets hurt again? For all the talk about finding consistency in the bullpen, it would make sense to have two reliable, healthy options take up the most important slots.

I would love it if tazawa ran away with the job but its probably not realistic

Espn's fantasy guru Matthew Berry pronounced his name

Ta-wa-za

and he took a lashing for it, lol, what a goober!

Will Farrel penalize him for pitching badly down by 6?

Will Farrell is making decisions in Boston now????

Stay Classy Boston

4 people like this

The last time Bailey was "elite" was 2010. He was putrid in September last year for the Sox. Jericho pretty much hit it on the head about Tazawa's long-term potential this year, but Nefarious is also very right about Bailey staying healthy and that Hanrahan's injury could be serious - blurb today mentioned a report being sent to Dr. Andrews, never a name you like to hear.

I was thinking about the same thing last night, so I checked up on Uehara and he has no holds since 5/22 either, sucks. :(

Teams and players are streaky. In this case, the Sox aren't generating many save/hold chances. Remember he was the "closer" for a couple of wks so he wasn't used in HLD situations.

He has only blown 1 save chance and 1 L during this stretch and still has 2 wins. He didn't have a good May overall, but his APR was really good. Had a stretch where he was picking up HLDs every outing.

Tazawa's chance is coming back fast.

Maybe. Andrew Miller was the one warming up at the end of tonight's game, though. Not Tazawa.

Tazawa's chance is coming back fast.

Maybe. Andrew Miller was the one warming up at the end of tonight's game, though. Not Tazawa.

Although to be fair, Uehara pitched the 8th (even though I don't think it'll be Uehara).

Just dropped Bailey for him. Bailey can't be healthy right now.

Just dropped Bailey for him. Bailey can't be healthy right now.

I completely agree, and I did the same thing. I can't risk it with Bailey when he is pitching this bad. He claims he is healthy, but he certainly does not appear like it. Tazawa has great stuff and deserves the chance, so hopefully he can run away with it this time.