Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winkler29

Danny Salazar - CLE SP

Ive read up on the kid and it sounds like he is close to a potential call up. Does anybody know much about this kid? Sounds like a big time strike out pitcher from what ive read. Anyone think hes going to be hitting the majors soon?

Danny Salazar, RHP, Cleveland (Profile)

A 2006 free-agent international signing out of the Dominican, the 23-year-old Salazar has been dominant to begin the season — especially in his four most recent starts, over the course of which he’s posted a 38:5 strikeout-to-walk ratio in just 21.0 innings. Like Burch Smith below, Salazar’s fastball has touched 98 mph — and was siting at 96-98 on Tuesday night, provided the Akron gun is somewhat accurate.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-fringe-five-baseballs-most-compelling-fringe-prospects-2/

Ive read up on the kid and it sounds like he is close to a potential call up. Does anybody know much about this kid? Sounds like a big time strike out pitcher from what ive read. Anyone think hes going to be hitting the majors soon?

Who would he replace?

Fangraphs has another post about Salazar this morning, which attempts to address Phina11y's question above...

If you haven’t heard of Salazar, you’re not reading fellow FanGrapher Carson Cistulli, who might have had a few impure thoughts about the electric-armed righty. Salazar has flown under the radar because he missed most of the 2010 and 2011 seasons after undergoing Tommy John surgery in August of 2010. Upon returning, though, his stuff came back and then some, as he now sits in the low-to-mid 90s and has more when he wants it. The changeup is his best secondary pitch.

While he’s off to a crazy start in his return to Double-A this year, the issue with Salazar, who now looks like he could become an intriguing mid-rotation starter or at worst a dangerous late-inning arm, is that he’s never thrown more than 107.1 innings — and that was back in 2009. He could help the Indians this year, but after 87.2 frames in 2012, Salazar might only get 120 total. In other words, Cleveland could either rush him to the majors to take advantage of his stuff while they can (perhaps in a relief role to help protect his arm?), or Salazar simply may get bumped to Triple-A soon and pitch there until he’s shut down.

ETA: Salazar’s MLB debut will almost certainly depend on the Indians fortunes, so if they can stay in contention for another month or so, even with the shaky rotation, he could be an option to provide a shot in the arm for the five-man or bullpen around the All-Star break.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/lee-ruf-salazar-mining-the-minors/

I saw this guy's stats a couple of days ago in AA. I put him on my watch list right away. I had never heard of him before. Potential replacement for Kluber who has never done much of anything.

Was promoted to AAA. Shouldnt be to much longer if he continues to dominate before he gets a call to the Tribe.

Per Rotoworld:

Indians' prospect Danny Salazar threw five scoreless innings in his Triple-A debut on Sunday.

The right-hander allowed only two hits and three walks while striking out five. Salazar, 23, was promoted after registering a 2.67 ERA and 1.10 WHIP with 51/10 K/BB through his first seven starts at Double-A Akron.

May 14 - 12:20 PM

Was promoted to AAA. Shouldnt be to much longer if he continues to dominate before he gets a call to the Tribe.

Per Rotoworld:

Indians' prospect Danny Salazar threw five scoreless innings in his Triple-A debut on Sunday.

The right-hander allowed only two hits and three walks while striking out five. Salazar, 23, was promoted after registering a 2.67 ERA and 1.10 WHIP with 51/10 K/BB through his first seven starts at Double-A Akron.

May 14 - 12:20 PM

I just don't see a spot in him right now, unless he leaps Bauer for a rotation spot.

Kluber is no good. Theres a spot.

I am assuming Bauer would take his spot if they demoted Kluber.

There is not a spot. Klove and I shouldn't have to explain this. Carlos Carrasco, Bauer, Dice-K, etc.

There is not a spot. Klove and I shouldn't have to explain this. Carlos Carrasco, Bauer, Dice-K, etc.

You realize those three pitchers suck right?

You realize those three pitchers suck right?

A 2.76 ERA over 3 starts sucks? Regardless, Bauer would get a shot before Salazar and to say otherwise is misleading and misinformed.

Heck, there's not even a spot for Bauer when Myers returns. Opinions of Myers aside... Rotation will be: Masterson, Jimenez, McAllister, Kazmir, Myers

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, July 13, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, July 13, 2013 - No reason given

Salazar getting the Call Thursday. Worth a joe Kelly Drop?

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, July 13, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, July 13, 2013 - No reason given

Salazar getting the Call Thursday. Worth a joe Kelly Drop?

Where are you hearing this? If so, absolutely yes. Kelly is mediocre at best. Salazar has some serious upside.

Per rotoworld:

"Danny Salazar will make his major league debut on Thursday afternoon against the Blue Jays."

"Salazar has posted a promising 3.08 ERA, 1.11 WHIP and 100/23 K/BB ratio in 76 innings this season between Double-A Akron and Triple-A Columbus. His matchup against Toronto isn't great, but the 23-year-old right-hander might have a nice future in the Cleveland rotation and could be worth the risk as a streamer in AL-only fantasy leagues. It's only going to be a spot start."

What makes this a spot start and nothing more? If anybody knows? I'm just curious if he does well, could he possibly stick?

I was about to ask the same question ...

I think he could stick, if he pitches well. Who would he replace, good question, I would say Kaz. If the Indians want to make the play-offs, they must stop using Bauer,Kaz, and Carrasco.

I can believe that, but if he throws a gim, oh boy,

Agreed. It's not like they have a great rotation. Every single starter except Masterson and McAllister (who is hurt) has pitched under league average this year, and that includes Kluber.

Francona has to know that they need more pitching. Why do you think they've been scouting Matt Garza so much?

Unless he blows the Blue Jays away its just going to be a spot start. Even if he is great he would only stick til McAllister is back. Just nowhere for him to fit in. Kaz leaving the rotation is a pipe dream and even Kluber has been way too solid to dump him as well.

I agree only spot he would take would be kazmir and that is just until Mccalister comes back.