Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winkler29

Danny Salazar - CLE SP

Francona said Salazar will likely only be up for spot start vs DET.

@MLBastian

Lame, but "likely" gives them some wiggle room. I assume if he dominates again he'll be up for good. Miggy's situation is still up in the air. He may not be in the lineup. That would certainly help Salazar.

This is true, but no easy task regardless. I started Gio against them without Cabrera and he got destroyed.

I'd like to pick him up just for the 'what if' factor, but I don't have the roster space and can't see him staying up beyond Wednesday. He only threw 52 pitches in his last start and no more than 6 innings in his last 10 starts....plus he's probably only got max 5 more starts before they shut him down.

It's the perfect high pressure game to get a real good look at this kids make up. Management knows what they're doing here, throw the kid right into the fire and see what he's made of, future ace? audition time folks. Perhaps they've been reading this thread, in any case, great to see them finally allowing him to show what he's made of. Color me excited.

If he pitches as well or even better than he did last time out then they are going to find more and more ways to get him more starts I would think. It looks like they are specifically calling him up to start vs the Tigers to give them the best chance at winning to gain ground.

How is that the best chance of winning?

Because Ubaldo has been terrible vs the Tigers and Salazar is a better pitcher than him? Miggy will play fwiw. Rumor was he could have played today and probably yesterday but they wanted to give him a little more rest in time for the Indians series. He took BP today.

If he pitches as well or even better than he did last time out then they are going to find more and more ways to get him more starts I would think. It looks like they are specifically calling him up to start vs the Tigers to give them the best chance at winning to gain ground.

How is that the best chance of winning?

Because Ubaldo has been terrible vs the Tigers and Salazar is a better pitcher than him? Miggy will play fwiw. Rumor was he could have played today and probably yesterday but they wanted to give him a little more rest in time for the Indians series. He took BP today.

I was thinking facing somebody like the White Sox, not the Tigers. In other words, I don't think facing the Tigers is good for any pitcher. No Cabrera would make things easier, though. Like Fishon said above, it will be a good test for the young man. I may gamble and start him. I have time to think about it.

Right, but against crappy teams you can throw guys like Ubaldo, Kazmir, McAllister out there and not be worried one bit, use your best guys vs the best teams.

Right, but against crappy teams you can throw guys like Ubaldo, Kazmir, McAllister out there and not be worried one bit, use your best guys vs the best teams.

But wait, if Salazar is one of your best guys, why isn't he in the rotation already? That's the point some are trying to make around here.

Because of other reasons. He will be limited is probably the biggest thing, why replace someone for him only to replace it right back in a month or two, might as well keep it as is while the team is still successful and keep Salazar in turn in the minors on strict limits and bring him up only when you need to. With the way he pitches he tends to be pretty efficient so his innings would rack up real fast. (Which is dumb anyway because teams should have pitchers on pitch limits not innings)

I like what I saw in in MLB debut and his minor league numbers look really good. But he does not seem to pop up in any of the top prospect lists; why is this?

I like what I saw in in MLB debut and his minor league numbers look really good. But he does not seem to pop up in any of the top prospect lists; why is this?

Because scouts make mistakes and stubbornly never care to admit they've made them.

If he dominates again, I don't see how they take him out of the rotation again. By starting him over Ubaldo, that already shows that they prefer and trust Salazar over Ubaldo. I'd pick him up and stream him in a few leagues, but it's too risky against the Tigers.

Yep. It's entirely possible with JV on the hill tonight for the Tigers that Salazar will be pitching to prevent a sweep and to save the Indians division title hopes (and i know jv has sucked against Cleveland). In that scenario if Salazar pitches well and the Indians win there's no way he comes out of the rotation.

Kluber is no good. Theres a spot.

There is not a spot. Klove and I shouldn't have to explain this. Carlos Carrasco, Bauer, Dice-K, etc.

You realize those three pitchers suck right?

A 2.76 ERA over 3 starts sucks? Regardless, Bauer would get a shot before Salazar and to say otherwise is misleading and misinformed.

Holy wrong! This guy has easily the best stuff in the Indians Organization. What an arm! Easy 100 mph at will with location.

I ALMOSt picked him up today for this Detroit start but thought better of it.

Yeah - I just wasted a roster move on picking him up because.. well.. he's sticking. What he's done tonight just cemented that move for me as a very wise one.

got 2 quick outs in the 7th including his 10th K then a single to hunter and homer to Cabrera to give the tigers a 4-3 lead(SIGH)

got 2 quick outs in the 7th including his 10th K then a single to hunter and homer to Cabrera to give the tigers a 4-3 lead(SIGH)

Still a fantastic stream start on a team that is contending for a championship - K's, K/BB, WHIP. All categories he would certainly help you with.

I really dont get why if there is a MLB thread with active postings in it people still post in the minors one... even though he is clearly playing the majors during the time of the post...

I really dont get why if there is a MLB thread with active postings in it people still post in the minors one... even though he is clearly playing the majors during the time of the post...

The player thread was locked during the game (as they always are for hyped pitching prospects' first few starts), so I imagine people came here instead.

kl42 makes a good point, though—since he's up in the Bigs, please use the MLB thread. If you find that it is locked during his matchup, feel free to contribute in the gameday thread!

If/when Salazar is sent back down, this thread will be reopened.

Been pitching a lot better, last night 7.1IP, 5H, 1R, 1BB, 9 Ks

This dude burned a lot of fantasy owners this year but don't sleep - a couple more good outings in AAA and he could make a post All Star break impact. Aside from Jimmy Nelson, I really don't see any other MiLB SPs that haven't been called up that could be difference makers for 2.5 months this season.

I heard he was 2-1 in his last 3 starts, 25 K's in 18 IP's. I think his next start is mid-week. Last start was Friday I believe.