Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dewaser

Matt Forte 2013 Season Outlook

336 posts in this topic

i like Forte's value this year... I think he'll bounce back and he's a nice pick where he's going in drafts right now. Thoughts?

Yes, I agree. He has a lot of value this year where he is currently projected to be drafted. His ceiling is pretty high, especially in PPR formats.

Check out Charlie Garner's 2002 stats when Trestman was the OC for OAK.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GarnCh00.htm

Not saying he's going to catch 90 but 70+ seems very reasonable as Forte is a very good pass catching RB. Not sure what his ADP is going to be (late rd2?) but I'd be thrilled with him as my RB2 and fine with him as my RB1 if I go Calvin in rd 1.

I'm feeling pretty good in my keeper league... I have lesean McCoy as my rb1 and forte as my rb2 with David Wilson as my rb3. Lets go!

I'm feeling pretty good in my keeper league... I have lesean McCoy as my rb1 and forte as my rb2 with David Wilson as my rb3. Lets go!

I have the same exact set of RBs going into the season with AJ Green as my 4th keeper. Lots of upside with the keepers, but need lots of bounce back too.

Yes, I agree. He has a lot of value this year where he is currently projected to be drafted. His ceiling is pretty high, especially in PPR formats.

He needs to stay healthy.

I know he played 15 games last year, but a lot of those he was playing injured.

Is Forte #injuryprone now?

He's definitely afraid of scoring TD's..

i think forte will end up as your #1 if he doesn't get hurt again

2nd round lock pick in PPR. I don't think he'll beat out Bush or Sproles in the receptions department though. In fact now that I'm thinking about it, why is his ADP much higher than those two?

He's not a TD guy so what gives?

2nd round lock pick in PPR. I don't think he'll beat out Bush or Sproles in the receptions department though. In fact now that I'm thinking about it, why is his ADP much higher than those two?

He picks up a lot more rushing yards than them

He picks up a lot more rushing yards than them

Enough to offset the lesser amount of receptions he'll probably have? Think that's enough to justify the round ADP difference?

I think Forte's going to have a massive amount of receptions. When Trestman was in Cleveland in 1988-89, Byner had 59 receptions the first year and Metcalf had 54 rec the 2nd season.

When he was OC in SF in 1995, Derek Loville had 87 rec and William Floyd had 47 rec. In 1996 it was more of the same, 4 RBs combined for 122 rec.

In 1998 he was OC for Arizona and Larry Centers had 69 rec. 1999 Arian Murrell had 49 rec. 2000 Michael Pittman had 73 rec and Thomas Jones 32.

In 2002 he was OC in Oakland, Charlie Garner had 91 rec, Wheatley/Kirby kicked in another 29. Garner got 48 for him in 2003.

Bottomline is whenever Trestman has been an OC his RBs have caught a ton of balls. Forte could easily rush for 1000+ and catch 70 balls, making him easily a RB1 in PPR that you can get in round 2. With him it's all about staying healthy, but it's not like Bush is the most durable guy on the block either.

3 people like this

I'm liking Forte more and more every time I look at the RB rankings.

Over his five pro seasons, he has averaged 1,530.4 total yards, 7 total TDs, and 53.4 receptions. These numbers may not look spectacular (obviously you'd like more TDs) but there aren't many backs these days that can show this kind of consistent production over a five year span. If he stays healthy, these are likely the type of numbers that you'll be getting. He has a very high floor.

Even in his injury-shortened 2011, when he only dressed for 12 games, he put up 1,487 total yards and 52 catches. He's an established PPR stud and I don't think it'd be crazy to take him late first round in that format. In standard leagues, he shouldn't get past the middle of round two.

I think Forte's going to have a massive amount of receptions. When Trestman was in Cleveland in 1988-89, Byner had 59 receptions the first year and Metcalf had 54 rec the 2nd season.

When he was OC in SF in 1995, Derek Loville had 87 rec and William Floyd had 47 rec. In 1996 it was more of the same, 4 RBs combined for 122 rec.

In 1998 he was OC for Arizona and Larry Centers had 69 rec. 1999 Arian Murrell had 49 rec. 2000 Michael Pittman had 73 rec and Thomas Jones 32.

In 2002 he was OC in Oakland, Charlie Garner had 91 rec, Wheatley/Kirby kicked in another 29. Garner got 48 for him in 2003.

Bottomline is whenever Trestman has been an OC his RBs have caught a ton of balls. Forte could easily rush for 1000+ and catch 70 balls, making him easily a RB1 in PPR that you can get in round 2. With him it's all about staying healthy, but it's not like Bush is the most durable guy on the block either.

Thanks for sharing that info.

1 person likes this

This is good news.

I could easily see a 1300/5 with 60/600/4 line for Forte.

He's slowly creeping up my draft board.

That's good stuff there. Can't argue with any of that. He'll definetly be a target of mine late 1st. Hopefully can aquire him in the 2nd as a RB2.

I could easily see a 1300/5 with 60/600/4 line for Forte.

As much as I'd love to see that stat line assuming I had Forte on my team that seems a bit overly optimistic, he's only had 1700 total yards once (rookie year) and has had 6 total TDs or less in 3 of 5 seasons. I'd say more of the same, perhaps a bit of an uptick on the receiving yards sounds more reasonable...perhaps 1100 rushing yards and 500-600 receiving. 4-6 TDs. Still solid though. Wouldn't mind getting him in round 2 as an rb 2 though I may want one of the better WR's at that point, not sure.

That is all well and good till my man's knee esplodes!

Forte - hates the endzone. Will get injured. I'm passing on that HIGH ADP.

Am I misreading articles coming out of Chicago, or will Forte sometimes lineup as a receiver in this new Bears offense?

1 person likes this

I get scared talking about Forte or cutler for that matter. They have horrible protection and get punished constantly. I know that forte takes most of his hits outside or beyond the line but he still gets nailed unnecessarily behind the line. I feel with forte you could probably win a division with him and ride high in to a playoff bye but by the end of the season he is going to be hurt, injured and battered. If I took him I would hope I had a even stronger rb or two on my roster come playoff time.

I get scared talking about Forte or cutler for that matter. They have horrible protection and get punished constantly. I know that forte takes most of his hits outside or beyond the line but he still gets nailed unnecessarily behind the line. I feel with forte you could probably win a division with him and ride high in to a playoff bye but by the end of the season he is going to be hurt, injured and battered. If I took him I would hope I had a even stronger rb or two on my roster come playoff time.

I agree with this. I take SJax and WR2 over him. I have him ahead of Sproles and just about tied with Bush. If I had to decide, I'd take Bush first.