Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bodhizefa

Alex Torres 2013 Outlook

25 posts in this topic

Torres used to have a bit of a pedigree as a decent prospect, but that's waned over the years as he was never able to hone his control. I'm not sure what he's doing differently, but his walk numbers this year represent a drastic improvement over career numbers. He's actually been having a stellar year in Durham. So when Price went down with his injury, instead of calling up Chris Archer, the Rays went with Torres.

I'll be interested to see what he looks like these days and what sort of command he can muster at the big league level.

Isn't Odorizzi taking the spot of Price?

Not according to Rotoworld and Twitter.

didn't they say he'd be used in the bullpen though? or are there reports he's going to start in place of price?

Tampa Bay Times says he's going to the pen, so we'll stick with that.

He's going into the bullpen. He's harnessed his control and says he now has confidence to throw his breaking balls in any count and get it over for a strike. He was the best pitcher in the Venezuelan Winter league and has been the best pitcher in AAA for the Rays, but b/c of his age and past control issues, they may just make him a high leverage reliever. Jake is still expected to get called up on Monday to take Price's spot in the rotation. In standard size leagues, Torres has no fantasy value. I'm a little surprised they called him up. He's now out of options so I guess he'll stick in the pen.....

He's going into the bullpen. He's harnessed his control and says he now has confidence to throw his breaking balls in any count and get it over for a strike. He was the best pitcher in the Venezuelan Winter league and has been the best pitcher in AAA for the Rays, but b/c of his age and past control issues, they may just make him a high leverage reliever. Jake is still expected to get called up on Monday to take Price's spot in the rotation. In standard size leagues, Torres has no fantasy value. I'm a little surprised they called him up. He's now out of options so I guess he'll stick in the pen.....

I have also heard chatter about him becoming their swing man in the pen. Regardless, the pen's mostly been a sore spot for them (until very recently), so any kind of good performance should be a boon. (p.s. you're like 14 posts away from 20,000 -- nice!)

I have also heard chatter about him becoming their swing man in the pen. Regardless, the pen's mostly been a sore spot for them (until very recently), so any kind of good performance should be a boon. (p.s. you're like 14 posts away from 20,000 -- nice!)

Yea, makes sense for them. Jake McGee has been a disappointment too so depending on how he pitches maybe works up to being the high leverage lefty. Who knows. Just surprised they'd burn his last option on him but maybe I'm mistaken about that.

I win a set of steak knives for 20k. Unfortunately, about 15k of those are in the Moderator Forum talking about you savages! :lol: Nobody will ever see them! I have a ways to go before I catch up with Rush2112 though.

1 person likes this

called back up today and been very impressive in long relief, could he make some starts with Archer struggling in his start ?

I'm intrigued by his stuff. Has good late movement on his fastball and change. Thrown two great long-relief scoreless appearances. Could be something to monitor if he gets a rotation spot.

I know he's just a middle reliever, but has anyone seen this guys numbers? Surprise he hasn't been talked about.

16.0 innings pitched, 2 wins, 23 Ks, 0.00 ERA, and 0.38 WHIP since getting called up.

Some guy in my weekly league is trying to get cute and roll with all relievers. So I'll throw this guy at him.

What's crazy is he is even better with runners on

43 batters faced with the bases empty batters are hitting .105 with a .209 OBP

21 batters faced with runners on .000 BA .000 OBP

He's been a stud in my points league. Already one of the best relievers in that league despite not having pitched as many innings as other relievers.

Came in with the bases loaded and 1 out, strikes out 2 batters in a row.

23 batters faced with runners on, .000 OBP

Then a scoreless inning with a strikeout. Stud.

The Rays said a few weeks ago they will just let him carry on doing what he's doing but he was a starter in the minors and with the current rotation issues continuing on a daily basis I wonder if they'll give Torres consideration for a start.

Why is he only rostered in 7% of Yahoo leagues?

Sure he doesn't get many saves or holds but I don't see how people wouldn't want a guy who helps your ratios and vultures wins on a roster.

He should be starting over Hernandez. He has double the WAR in a quarter of the innings pitched.

He may have command issues. Hasn't shown it this year, but in years past his walks per innings pitched ratio is almost 50 percent.

I'd rather him be in his current role than become a SP, which is pretty unlikely. He usually comes in the 5th or earlier, if the starter gets knocked out, and throws 1-2 innings. He has a chance at a cheap win and help ratios and strikeouts. In those innings, he throws quite a lot of pitches, so it would be hard to translate to a SP until he becomes more efficient, but that doesn't matter now.

Torres won't be a starter this year unless there's a run of major injuries to the Rays staff. He's the best RP in the Rays' pen and got the Rays thru some tough times when they had absolutely nobody pitching well. Maddon loves his ability to lockdown once thru a lineup and stud lefties are tough to get, starting or in relief. The question will be what they do with him next year....